WOW, there really are considerate admins. out there!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Aug 3, 2007.

1. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

I am not putting anyone done that is in administration, however I am fed up with emails never returned, phone calls never returned and they couldn't even send me a rejection letter for Pete's sake!!

I actually did get a return phone call from one administrator today after I had left him a message inquiring about the position (whether it was filled or not)--by the way I didn't even interview for this position, I just applied for it. He actually had the courtesy to call me back to let me know that the position had been filled and that my resume was looked at because he remembered my name. He told me that I should for sure apply next year because he knows of a lot teachers retiring! He suggested that I sub first and try to land a LTS position within the district this year. He also told me that in their district if you successfully sub for 90 days during year that your name will automatically go before the school board first for any full time positions that are opening the following year! How great is that--finally a school policy I can agree with!! This is wonderful to know because now I know that subbing at this school could land me something full-time!! I am keeping my hopes up! I am looking forward to getting a lot of needed experience this year as a sub--and you can bet your boots that I am gonna shine!!;)

3. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 3, 2007

That is nice.

I sent out a bunch of cover letters and resumes mid-July. I got an email yesterday from one principal saying that she recieved my letter but didn't have any positions. I thought that was nice, too.

4. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 3, 2007

Subbing is a great experience! I got a four month LTS in the building where I student taught. It was great because I graduted in December and started teaching in February! I subbed for more than sixty days for the same teacher and I was able to recieve health insurance/posting rights in my district. It was such a great experience and was what landed the interview/offer that I recieved on Thursday. Fellow teachers notice good teachers and will talk to their adminstration on your behalf, and they do take notice!
    Good luck, long term subs are such a great experience, and because of mine...I'm really not that nervous about my first year teaching!

5. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

yes very nice. I have been on a total of four interviews. The first interview was courtesy and nothing else. I knew they couldn't hire me because I wasn't fully certified yet. The second interview went fantastic. I did get a very nice rejection letter that stated they hired a bilingual person and wished me luck in the future. My third is where I got hired at now. My final interview was at a very small school district and the principal seemed snotty. I got a rejection letter a week later from her that was full of typos, run-on sentences, and so forth. Glad I didn't get hired there.

6. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

Well, that's refreshing news. Wouldn't it be nice if all schools and districts played by these rules?

7. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

I was on an interview committee this summer. My principal called the candidate he wanted to hire the same day as interviews to inform her of the good news. About a month later I ran into one of the other interviewees - she came up to me and asked me if she'd gotten the job. Apparently my administrator didn't even call or send a letter to the other applicants to let them know they didn't get the position. I thought that was so inconsiderate!

8. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

That really makes me sad and mad :mad: I am pretty sure the last interview I was on was exactly what you described. It was so rush rush that it didn't seem real. I think MOST districts know who they are going to hire before the interviews--this should be illegal. I had my hopes up so high (big mistake- I know now) and then to have heard nothing...I'm lucky I was strong enough to pull my self out of the deep dark hole I sinking into! This was for an elem. position at my DREAM school. Well, it's not lookin' so McDreamy now:lol: I was literally depressed and crushed for about 2 weeks. Anyways, life goes on and like you all say here on this forum--keep pluggin' away and apply everywhere.

9. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

That's good to hear that some of them can be considerate. They have all been in the same postition as us, so you think they would be considerate. I interviewed at the school I student taught at and sent an email later. I never heard back...no phone call, letter, email...nothing. I ended up getting hired in the same district. I hope it's not wierd when we see each other, especially since he knows me and I am not just someone that he met for the interview and can forget. Now I really don't want to work at that school. Even if I decide to change grade levels, that won't be a school I go for, mostly because of this experience.

10. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Aug 4, 2007

rookie what prt of pa are you from??

11. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

That's great that he had the courtesy to do that. I had a principal promise me 3 weeks ago that I'd get a call or letter in a few days. I called HR on Friday and someone else was offered the job and I never got anything.

I think you should definately go for a LTS position. It is a great way to get your foot in the door...definately better than day to day subbing.

12. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

I live in western pa--25 miles out of Pittsburgh.

13. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 4, 2007

That was super nice and it's pretty neat that they have a policy regarding hiring their subs.

14. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

Really put you on the spot didn't he? OUCH.

15. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

IF I ever become an admin, I hope I never forget how it felt to be a teacher. Great admins are successful because they remember their roots.

16. historygrrl

historygrrl Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

My favorite rejection was the letter in which they didn't even spell my first name correctly. And, it's a common name!

17. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

That is really sad!! You're probably glad that you didn't get it then!

18. historygrrl

historygrrl Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

What's really sad is they didn't think I was good enough and were holding out for some kind of super teacher that could fix all their problems. Being freshly certified with only one year in the classroom, I didn't fit the bill. Considering they have probably the lowest salaries in the state - good luck to them!