Wow, that was difficult and oh so heartbreaking

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 9, 2010

I met a guy on Match.com last year. We hit it off right away. This story could get very long, so I'm only giving the barest details. He lived in NYC, so this was a long-distance thing. The first time we met I think it was love at first sight for me (before that day I didn't believe in it.) It was almost like God had made this man for me, in and out. I spent a lot of time in disbelief, on cloud nine. We did the long-distance thing from December (our first date) to June, when he dumped me. :( He said he didn't want to do the long-distance anymore.

Fast forward to last night. We had very little contact, only through texts. After much self-reflection I realized I was holding on to the fantasy that he was going to come back to me and give it another try. Deep down I knew that wasn't going to happen.

So I got the courage to tell him we needed to sever ties completely. We had agreed once wounds had healed we'd give being friends a try. But I didn't want to be just friends. The more I thought about it, the more I was drawing out the heartache and just making it worse in the long run. After I severed ties, I realized that this was the day we met, exactly one year earlier. Oh, how I cried! But I know deep down I made the right decision.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

:sorry: Hugs to you.

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 9, 2010

You should be proud of yourself for being strong enough to do this. :hugs:

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

Hugs!

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 9, 2010

Sorry, but things will get better of course. I couldn't do a long distance relationship either.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2010

Hugs!

8. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

:hugs: You really did the right thing! God has the perfect man for you out there. Promise!

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2010

Long distance is tough... it has to be 2 and not one.
    Glad you made the decision that was best for you!

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

:hugs: to you and I am glad that you realized what was the best things for you. Please remember that with time things will get better.

11. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 9, 2010

:hugs:

12. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jul 9, 2010

I'm sorry...hugs!!

p.s.
    love your avatar! :)

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 9, 2010

I picked that avatar because I wanted to remind myself that this breakup will make me bloom :) It's my FB pic as well.

14. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

Hugs to you! I went through a similar situation with my ex. Things were going perfectly, and then he brokeup with me out of nowhere. I kept trying to keep in contact with him via occasional texts, phone calls, and realized that I wasn't doing myself any favors. I applaud you for realizing this after only a month, where I do this do myself for several. Finally, I just decided to go ahead and delete his phone number and cut ties with him completely. Once I did, although it was painful, it was very freeing.

Had I not decided to cut ties completely, and keep on holding on to the "what its", than I don't think I'd be where I am today...29 days away from being married to the man I know God made especially for me.

Take this time to grieve, focus on things you've always wanted to do, but didn't, and just enjoy life. :) It was the little things that got me through. I joined a running program, ran a marathon, and applied to graduate school in the months after my ex and I broke up. It was an amazing little journey I went on.

Along the way,I read It's Called a Break Up Because It's Broken and loved it. It's by the same authors as He's Just Not That Into You, and in my opinion way better. :) I really enjoyed it, and it gave me a huge "it can do this attitude."

Hugs!

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 9, 2010

Take care, PF.
    Goodbyes are hard, and sometimes heartbreaking.
    But, the heart does heal.