Wow. Just wow.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 18, 2012

You know those nightmares most of us have just before school starts? I feel like I lived a nightmare today!

I have a tough bunch, arguably the most difficult class I've ever had. My mantra all year has been, 'there are no problem children, only children with problems.' A lot of my kids have problems, and it spills over into every aspect of my day. It's organized chaos most days.

Today I got a new student, and from the moment he walked through the door I knew I was in for it. His mother walked him down and on her way out she says, "Oh, by the way, he has ADHD...[laughing] have fun with that!" I was dumbfounded. Perhaps it rubbed me the wrong way, but I sensed a mocking tone in her voice and I felt like a babysitter.

The nightmare feeling lasted all day, and by 2:00 in the afternoon he was in ISS and removed from my classroom. :dizzy: My guidance counselor knows my class all too well, and she went to my principal and confided to her that she thought it would be best if the student was placed in another class. The mix of kids I already have plus my new student was a recipe for disaster.

Just in the short while this child was in my room he was crawling on the floor, stole from a fellow student, threatened to stab someone with a pencil, refused to do any work, called various students names, etc etc.

I feel terrible, like I let this child down. According to his records, he's been shuffled from school to school and may have been expelled from his last school (still waiting on records...) Poor kid!! :unsure:

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 18, 2012

Migod, you poor thing!

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2012

Whoa! Poor you!!! That does sound rough. :(

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 18, 2012

You did NOT let this child down! The mother's comment aside, there is only so much that can be done in some situations.

6. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Jan 18, 2012

Don't feel like you let this kid down! It sounds like he has a well documented history of issues and the best place for him is not in your room because of the mix of kids you have. If he is 3rd grade and acting like this and diagnosed with ADHD something tells me that he is not on any medication which can make a world of difference. Plus it sounds like Mom isn't aware just how serious her son's behavior is or is in denial. You did nothing wrong and the decision may just be for the best.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 18, 2012

Thank your lucky stars that they realized the harm this child could do to the rest of the class. Not to mention the harm the mother could do.

8. snapples

snapples Rookie

Jan 18, 2012

Wow, I am not only shocked by his behavior, but that of the mother's also! To come in and say good luck? It sounds like some of the problems this child is facing start at home. What a rough day!

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2012

I'm glad that your counselor is so willing to work with you! That is definitely a blessing!

Hopefully tomorrow will bring better times.

10. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jan 19, 2012

It's funny how so many irresponsible parents excuse a child's behavior on ADHD. I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure that threatening to harm other students with weapons or bullying the rest of the class are not symptoms of the disorder.

I feel sorry for you, as I've had children come to my class convinced that everything they do is warranted because of ADHD. Their parents drilled it into their heads so that they have a cop out.

11. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2012

You can only do so much when only so much is done...... :whistle:

Love to know what kind of support this kiddo gets from school to school. Apparenly, having him unsupported in a regular classroom doesn't work. OP, that is NOT a put down on you.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 19, 2012

Well with a mother like that, I'm not surprised the child is behaving like that! Who laughs at their child's learning issue???

Good luck to you!

13. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Jan 19, 2012

I have one diagnosed with ADHD that acts very similar to that if he is not on his meds or they have not kicked in. He won't threaten a student, but in his behavior a student could get hurt. Mom is not consistent with medication. When he is on medication, he can sit, concentrate, and do his work. When he isn't ......
    You did not fail this student in anyway. If the student is like mine (and your description sounds very familiar) there is very little that can be done until he exhausts himself to sleep or is on his medication.
    Good luck!!!

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 20, 2012

So sorry! That's so sad about Mom. :(

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jan 21, 2012

I agree with everyone, and I am so sorry. That is so difficult for you and especially that child because he has not gotten a sense of security yet in third grade. You can only accomplish so much with kids, and there is no doubt you tried your best. I really hope things improve for you and for him- obviously with you both not being in the same situation.

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 21, 2012

Good news all around.

That student I got on Wed had been previously retained, and his younger brother is in 3rd grade for the 1st time. My principal had the younger brother put in my room and the older brother was placed next door. They are adjusting well.

The mix of kids next door (and a teacher with 8 more years experience than me!) has really helped. The younger brother is very low academically, but is as sweet as sugar. I sat with the older brother at lunch yesterday and we had a nice talk. I think things will be okay after all :)