Wow it's early!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by runsw/scissors, Sep 8, 2009.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 8, 2009

The flu hit this weekend! Not me specifically (knock on wood constantly) but the kids are dropping like flies! Today 20% of the student body was out ill by the end of the day. :eek: At least one confirmed case of H1N1 this morning and probably more. And we were told the vacinnes would not be available untile early next month!

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 8, 2009

We also have our first case of H1N1. I only had one out today but have had at least that many out for the past few school days. I am taking off tomorrow to take my son to the doctor for his bad cough and congestion. If I can get him in that is!

My husband came home from work and went straight to bed. He had gotten so sick while driving that he had to ask his carpool buddy to finish the drive.

So far I just have my usual seasonal sinus/allergy issues, still not fun!

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 8, 2009

One-third of my class was absent today!

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 9, 2009

Oh my! I can already imagine the trouble we'll have getting subs if it hits a bunch of teacher at once! I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we get hit. With 3700 students it seems highly unlikely we'll be spared. Today is only the second day back with students so we'll see how long it takes.

6. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Sep 9, 2009

The director of our local health department came to talk to us on Friday about the swine flu. She said that more people died last year from the seasonal flu than from the swine flu. Most people who died from the swine flu already had underlying medical complication. She told us that doctors in our area would not be seeing patients with flu like symptoms unless they had a complication. She said that people would be told to go home, drink plenty of fluids, and rest. She also that they would not be testing for the swine flu unless a person was hospitalized. Students who had a fever would not be allowed to return to school until they had been fever free for 24 hours without fever reducing medicine.. She said that they are recommending the vaccine for anyone who lives in a house with a baby under six months, children from six months to 24 years, and people with underlying medical conditions, and pregnant women. This is the information I was told so I hope it helps but I am no doctor!

I was thinking about getting my daughter who has asthma the vaccine. However, my friend's doctor said that there is no way he would get the vaccine for his child because it is so new and they don't know what the side effects could be. They haven't even decided on the amount yet. It could be one or two shots.

7. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Sep 9, 2009

Although fewer people die from swine flu than regular influenza, we have no immunity to H1N1, because it contains germs from swine and birds. So it will spread very quickly among people who wouldn't have gotten the flu and eventually become a pandemic.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 9, 2009

And our nurse told the staff that H1N1 is hitting not children, not the elderly, but regular adults hardest. Those with underlying conditions are the most susecptible, but any of us could get it. I'll be getting the vaccine when they arrive in October.

9. taryn_liz

taryn_liz Rookie

Sep 11, 2009

Our school has set all the thermostats at 68 degrees to combat the spread of H1N1. It hasn't hit us yet, but I'm just waiting for the day that it does. I'm also letting my kid's bring in water bottles so they don't all drink at the water fountains. As for the vaccine, I'm 24 and told I should get it, but because I don't know what side effects I might get from it, I probably will just take my chances and not get one.

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2009

ok regardless whether it is the "killer" it's something I sure don't need or want. I had 7 students out today for flu. I had another 4 who needed to be but mom doped them up with tylenol or began to feel bad during the day. I watched as one of my bounciest was barely able to lift his head.....But technically he didn't have a fever (even though yesterday mom kept him home (diagnosed flu).
    Flu is now consider "widespread" in Texas and we are feeling it. So many of our kids are gone.