WOW I'm in Total Utter SHOCK!!! :)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CreativeTeachR, Jul 31, 2013.

1. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jul 31, 2013

Ok will the small version of my story! I know a lot of you have been reading my posts over the last couple of months... So I thank you ALL for the encouragement, guidance and help I needed to move on!!

Friday I had a teaching interview for a pre-k position at a inner city charter school. The interview was great it lasted an hour and I just felt really confident. On Tuesday she emailed me and said she was contacting my references :p well tonight (no signal in my apartment) they called to offer me the job!!! But WAIT...

Today I had not one but TWO interviews both for pre-kindergarten at different school districts and towns! The first one only lasted 18 minutes so I thought I wouldn't get called for a lesson plan model, but I was wrong! He called me tonight to ask to come in on Friday morning to do a lesson on counting.

The second interview was by far the best I've had yet! It was at a magnet school just fore pre-k and K students. The school is brand new and has a smartboard in every classroom! The principal is new this year but she was upbeat, happy and just a pleasure to be around! This interview lasted 40 minutes and she asked me questions beyond the typical questions on paper lol and she finished with asking if I could come in tomorrow to do a 10-15 minute lesson with 10 3-5 year olds! I just spent the whole evening planning it and I really did the best I've ever done on a lesson plan! I am not nervous (I'm sure I will be tomorrow loL) but so excited to present this lesson to her.

So as you can see I am praying to get the last interview's job... but I am so thrilled to be offered a job today at the other school! I never thought I would EVER be in this position and I owe it ALL to this board!!!

p.s. I've been on over 15 teaching interviews from November 2012- Now if you want me to review your resume and/or cover letter please don't hesitate to ask!!!

Also I have a website that the 2nd interview I spoke about referred to so it was very refreshing that prospective employers are viewing it!!! I will definitely keep everyone updated as the next few days approach :woot:

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2013

Very, very happy for you. :)

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 31, 2013

Good luck!

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2013

Congratulations! When do you have to let the other school know if you are accepting the position?

6. teachyouteachme

teachyouteachme Rookie

Jul 31, 2013

Wow that's great! Congratulations! Good luck tomorrow!

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 31, 2013

Congrats! No better feeling in the world when you're a job seeker!

8. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 31, 2013

So very happy for you!! :) Please share with us how you do on the demo lesson! :)

9. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Aug 1, 2013

Congrats!!!! Thanks for sharing your journey. It has been very eye opening. Made me reevaluate what I want to do.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

Congrats!!!

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

Congratulations!

12. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 1, 2013

This girl is on FIRE!!!!!!

13. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Aug 1, 2013

Wow! Congrats!!!!!!!

14. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Aug 1, 2013

Update!

So today's lesson I chose to do the very hungry caterpillar book incorporated with a poster board I created (see picture)

[​IMG]

So the run over of the morning :confused: this was my first demo lesson ever by the way!

Got there the interviewing panel just brought me into the classroom no introduction of the lesson and didn't even ask for the lesson plan I spent hours creating :mad:

As we walked to the classroom the principal was explaining that they take a lot of pride in the environment of the building and that 80% of the walls are bare!! Mind you this is a pre-k classroom how in gods earth can I have 80% of the walls bare?? Definitly not my cup of tea or style of teaching. When I walked into the classroom the kids where already on the rug (6 children). As I looked around it felt as though I was at my last job that I hated! The room was so plane and not child friendly, there was no centers, no materials nothing... Mind you I know that this is summer camp and the rooms weren't set up for the school year... but even with that in mind the room did not feel like a good fit. It's like walking into a home your trying to buy or shoes lol you just know :thumb:

Anyway I went and introduced myself to the children and did my lesson. It was only suppose to be 10 minutes and I don't even know how long it lasted. At this point the principal did not seem like she enjoyed it nor even spoke to me after the lesson. The other members of the interviewing panel stayed in the classroom and didn't even say goodbye... but at this point I wouldn't even accept an offer if given! yes I sounded so much more positive about this job yesterday, but now that I've stepped inside the school I was not happy :huh:

So moving on... I need to create a 15-20 minute lesson for a small group of 6 children with IEP's on counting for tomorrow's demo lesson. I need to start researching because I have no idea what I want to do. I also called back the other school that offered me the job awaiting a return phone call. Will keep everyone posted :thanks:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

Sorry the school wasn't what you hoped but glad you know how you feel!

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

Well, at least you were able to figure out sooner rather than later that school is not for you.

17. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Aug 1, 2013

Wow, your story sounds similar to mine. I was so excited after my first teaching interview ever but my demo lesson (also my first demo ever) did not go well at all. I still maintain that it was not because of me, even though I definitely was nervous and wasn't perfect. I was okay with it though because the school was definitely not a good fit for me at all. :O

Despite what happened today, I'm happy your luck is turning around and I hope tomorrow goes better :)

18. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 1, 2013

I did a demo like that once and I realized that I didn't want to work there at ALL afterwards. Bad vibe, ugly room, rude assistant superintendent (I later found out from an insider that she was mad that she had to be there that day, it was supposed to be her day off). I was so glad to run away from that place!

I hope you enjoy the demo tomorrow! You'll be great!

19. englishteach2

englishteach2 Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

New here. Read your posts. I am so very happy for you. You must feel wonderful!
    Thanks for keeping us up to date.
    All my best.

20. englishteach2

englishteach2 Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

Awesome!