Wow, I am DONE with guided reading!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by shouts, Aug 30, 2009.

1. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Sep 7, 2009

When was the last time any of us as adult readers, read a book that we really enjoyed reading, like a Jodi Piccoult Book or a James Patterson book, and then sat down with a reading response journal and wrote a character response, made a text-to-self connection, talked about the symbolism or sequence, etc.? This is the reason our students are getting so turned off to reading at times. I am a teacher who has worked using the F&P model for guided reading, read all of the student journals, responded to all of the student journals, modeled how to write in all of the student journals, etc., and now realize why we are losing our students! For anyone over the age of 40, how did we ever learn to read without this system?? I shudder when I think my reading series was Dick and Jane and a bunch of practice phonics sheets! LOL! Needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed "Readicide".

2. bryanmj

bryanmj Rookie

Sep 7, 2009

I know many people have mentioned Daily 5. I'm using this plus the CAFE menu by the same authors for my 5th graders this year. I love the independence students have with Daily 5 and I blew through the CAFE book. I really like that the model is centered around independence but also allows for teaching of strategies that we all should be teaching. The CAFE book also stresses individual conferences and coaching and only teaching small strategy based groups instead of ability level groups when it's needed. I highly recommend taking a look at both of these books if you're currently using a guided reading model and want to get away from all of the small group planning.

3. shouts

shouts Companion

Sep 7, 2009

As an adult reader when I read a great book I want to TALK about it! I want to share it! I want to find someone who loves it as much as me and tells me why! I wish I had someone to write to everyday about what I was reading - someone who'd write me back!

I think children like the letters when I don't grade them. So this year I'm going to give one grade at the end of the marking period and really enjoy the letters with the children.

I liked the Daily 5, but thought it skewed a little young. I haven't read the CAFE book yet. I just don't think it speaks to getting children to love reading.

I enjoyed Readicide, too (I recommended it to my principal and fellow teachers last spring) but the Book Whisperer really spoke to my grade level and my own thinking about the way we should teach reading.

Anyone who loves to read and doesn't understand why their students are hating it should read this book (and the Gallagher books).

4. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Sep 9, 2009

Can I ask what you are all basing your reading grades on? We are told that we are not to give tests/quizzes on anything they read in our Guided Reading Groups, and only to rubric their reading response journals.

5. jsgirl

jsgirl Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

I am doing this as well but hadn't read that book - sounds great! I have read Debbie Miller's books which also suggest choice along with comprehension strategies...My question is this: Do you have ANYTHING to do with their choice? Such as creating a bin full of books at certain levels and restricting them to that bin? Just curious! Thanks!

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 9, 2009

I have not read the book you are talking about...so I might not be hitting upon the issue at all...

but I take my opinion from two ideas that intermesh...

I remember a sermon once that said... we were MADE for community - it's not right for us to be alone.

And also the issue that book clubs are popular because it's fun and interesting to share...to hear opinions from others and to consider those opinions and yours while debating critical-thinking issues concerning the book.

Personally... I like guided reading.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 9, 2009

I use reading logs just so the kids (1st) can keep track of the books they have read. They get a sticker for every 5 books they read and at the end of the year they get a certificate stating how many books they have read. (I double the number in the reading logs, considering that they read books at night for the reading log and they read a lot of other books at school during our day.) What a thrill to get a certificate that you have read 200 books in first grade! Or up to 500!

That is my reason for reading logs. In first grade, it also helps me track their levels. The only thing on the reading logs is the title, date, parent signature, and comments. It isn't a big deal.