Would you...

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by mstnteacherlady, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jan 28, 2008

use the book The Incredible Journey for a small group time with 5th graders? I have not read the book in a while. Another teacher suggested it, but I wasn't sure. I want to do a book that they will really be interested in. Any other suggestions for good books?

3. teach1124

teach1124 New Member

Jan 29, 2008

My kids are currently reading Hatchet by Gary Paulsen and they love it!! I would really recommend it. I also love Joey Pigza swallowed the key!

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 2, 2008

My higher level readers loved A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck. I wouldn't do the Incredible Journey personally, but I can see why it was recommended. Kids love the movie they adapted from the book. I also did Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key, and it was a huge hit. Because of Winn Dixie is also a great story.

5. wig

wig Devotee

Feb 2, 2008

I know my fifth or sixth graders would enjoy it. Richard Peck books are very good. Al Capone Irons My Shirts, Sign of the Beaver are also two books sthey enjoyed.

6. ch106

ch106 Rookie

Feb 3, 2008

One book that is really dear to my heart, would have to be "The Wanderer" by Sharon Creech, I think as students read about the trouble's on board the ship, they can closely relate. I get my students, each year to form a group of three or four and brainstorm idea's on how to change a chapter, to make it seem more realisitc and more personal. After every five chapters, I get my students to write a journal entry on how they would feel if they were in such situations and if they were on board, what would they do differently. :blush:

7. wig

wig Devotee

Feb 3, 2008

Whoops! I know my 5/6 graders would NOT enjoy it. I started to read it to 6th a few years ago and I could tell they were pretty disinterested.

Sharon Creech books are very good.