Would You?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by JenPooh, Jun 23, 2005.

1. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2005

I have one question. If you were a director of a childcare center, would you ever hire a family member? This is a hypothetical question (if you were in these shoes). Why or why not? And if you worked at a childcare center with your director's said family member, would you feel comfortable working in that situation? Ok, so I asked two questions.

Long story short: my cousin (whom I have worked with previously) is waiting for my church childcare to open next year. If it does, she wants to work for me. I don't want her to for the simple fact that it causes a pool of controversy overall :crosseyed . Any thoughts?

3. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 23, 2005

I wouldn't want to be in that position. I think that there are all kinds of things that could go well, if you get along and have similar philosophies and similar work ethic, but if those differ, it could cause difficulties. I wouldn't feel comfortable.

That being said, if you do decide to go with it, you need to sit down with her and go over ground rules and expectations very clearly - put it in writing if you can!

Good luck, I hope you don't have to be in that position :)

btw, is she younger than you, older or the same age?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2005

She is one year younger and we are very close as cousins. We do have very similar views of childcare, HOWEVER, her work ethic isn't very great and she "center hops" because she seems to be burnt out and wont admit it so she finds something wrong at every job she's in. My main concern, is when you put family together they seem to "expect" things more than others. Because they are family, they expect you to be ok whenever they call in sick, because they are family they expect you to be more leniant-that kind of stuff. I seriously think that she "expects" me to hire her if this center opens (and I think it will in due time) from the way she talks. I think what I may push to do is get a policy written where I can not oversee any family member as an employee with the exception of the kitchen coordinator (which pretty much works alone and for themselves). Having a family member working as a teacher would be just way too stressful. I am sure all of you know how important it is to be there every day for your children and have outstanding work ethic. If it was for a different job-maybe-but the sheer nature of the job in itself causes friction already. I think I already know what I want and need to do, I just want to get other points of view so I feel like I am doing the right thing and are not alone about how I am feeling.

She also makes more money right now than what we would be able to pay her so I am hoping that will stray her a bit. But, she doesn't make the wisest of money decisions sometimes so that situation may not do any good.

5. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 23, 2005

No kidding! That's kind of what I was trying to say, I'd hate to be the supervisor in that position :(

This sounds like a great idea! Then it is out of your hands ;)

Good luck with this. It's hard but you know you'll feel better if you're not put in that position :)

She also makes more money right now than what we would be able to pay her so I am hoping that will stray her a bit. But, she doesn't make the wisest of money decisions sometimes so that situation may not do any good.[/QUOTE]