Would you want to work at the same school/grade as your spouse/significant other?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Em_Catz, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 13, 2014

There are three married couples at our school, two of which teach on the same grade level team! Their classrooms are right beside each other. All three couples ride to and from work with their spouses.

I often wonder (but don't want to ask) what's it like to drive to work with your spouse, see them all day at work, then drive home with them and spend the evening together.

While I'm sure there are some perks (saving on gas, having your support system RIGHT THERE when you need them, being able to discuss work events without a lot of back story b/c your spouse was there, etc) I think of even more negatives.

Though DH and I enjoy spending time together, I don't think that would work for us and after awhile we'd both start to feel smothered.

I think we'd both have to have several separate activities to offset it

(ie: I'd have my Wednesday Nite Bowling League, he'd go to Bible Study on Tuesdays, Thursday afternoon I'd grade papers at the library instead of with him at home, etc)

Do any of you work with your significant other (or have in the past?) Did you like it?

The closest I ever came was when I took a course in college with my then-boyfriend. I liked that we could work on homework and study together, but times when we had had a disagreement, then it was hard to sit beside him in class and act like everything was fine.

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 13, 2014

I would hate it! We both need our space.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 13, 2014

My parents were teachers at the same school but different subjects. The only time there was a problem was when they had side-by-side classrooms. Two boisterous teachers like that need to be in different sections of the school!

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 13, 2014

Short answer... oh hell no.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2014

In my last district, we had one married couple that had worked together in the same school for 33 years. They were never around each other though. In the school before that there were 3 couples: two of those you would never know they were married, the other were always together (and a bit annoying).

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2014

We have a married couple at my small school. One is PE and one is art. They aren't close in proximity.

I don't think I'd be able to be close in proximity, but the same school might be OK.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 13, 2014

I'm at the same district as the hubby but we just have common inservices on occasion. I wouldn't want to be on the same campus. A little separation is a good thing.

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 14, 2014

Lol looks like ii'm not alone. I'm surprised there's not s rule against spouses working closely together the way (in my county) teachers cannot teach their own child

10. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jun 14, 2014

I've worked in the same district as my BF before (it's how me met!) So a little different than working in the same building. But it was really nice-we got to meet for breakfast/coffee and lunch throughout the week, and when we did have to be in the same building it was nice for a surprise visit.

However, he's in a different role and not a teacher, so if we were in the same building we wouldn't have much interaction with each other so I think it would be OK.

11. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2014

My husband is not in teaching, but I would hate it if he was teaching in the same school. My parents worked in the same company for a while and my mom really disliked it. I even like working in different fields because it prevents us from talking about work too much.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 14, 2014

My husband and I are very different in so many ways, and I think we would drive each other crazy. I don't think we could work together. He's an engineer. If any of you know engineers, you probably understand.

13. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 14, 2014

True for me too. I love him dearly, but I couldn't work with him. No way.

14. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 14, 2014

My dream would be to have my husband become a physics and math teacher at the upper school on my school's campus since I teach science in the lower school. :) That would be awesome! But it doesn't look like his plans are going that way, so it might just stay a dream. I'd be fine with working in the same general location, but I don't think I'd want to be classrooms back-to-back/same subject/same grade level.

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2014

My husband and I work for the same district. He doesn't teach so we don't see each other that often. He also works on a different campus than I for the most part. His job requires him to be at all campuses. Thank goodness we dont work together. I like my space.

16. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jun 14, 2014

My DH & I worked at the same school for many years, and the last couple of years our classrooms were across the hall from each other. We both loved it and miss it a lot now that I have gone back to school. Some of our best conversations took place on the drive to/from school. On a more personal note, we also realized that, for our students, we were serving as a model for a healthy relationship, and it really made us appreciate each other a lot!