Would You Want to Live to 150?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 14, 2010

In biblical times, people lived to be several hundred yrs old. On Dr. Oz, the topic came up that w/ all the medical breakthroughs & knowledge we know about health nowadays, is it possible to live to be 150? When asked if they'd like to live that long, I was surprised to see only a couple audience members' hands go up. I know I certainly would!

When he asked a lady why, she said she wouldn't want to look that old. Woah, I'd rather LOOK old than be DEAD! I guess vanity is that strong where everyone wants to stay young-looking.

Would YOU want to live that long & if not, why? (I guess people would be tired of living by then & I'm aware that if everyone lived to be that old, the world's population would be astronomical, but I'm not talking about that aspect.)

3. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jun 14, 2010

I guess it is all about quality of life. If I was in a home and just sort of there (you know what I mean) I would see no advantage to living to 150. If I was able to be somewhat active and still have a life, then 150 would be a great thing. My granddad recently passed at 93. Until last year, he was mowing the yard, tilling the garden, welding, and everything. He always said he didn't want to live in a bed and made his decision when he got sick that he was ready to go.

4. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 14, 2010

I wouldn't want to live long past my loved ones. I had a dear friend who lived to be 106. She was 100 when I met her. At that time she was still exersizing,dancing and loving life. She only became ill during the last few months of her life. She outlived her best friend who was in her 80s.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2010

Midwest... I agree... depends on what I am "doing"!!! My gpa 100 still mows... not as much as he used to & is really afraid of falling.

I just don't want to cause my family grief!!!

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2010

It would depend upon my mental clarity and physical abilities, the presence of my loved ones, and society.

7. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2010

I rather suspect that unless you have a painful, terminal disease, no matter how old you are you don't suddenly start longing for death. You may come to terms with it (something you can do at any age), but that doesn't mean you'll no longer wan to go on.

I would want to keep living, probably likely even if I became infirm and started losing things like sight and hearing and mental acuity. Even if I had no loved ones left.

The woman who doesn't want to look old probably looks ancient already to a first grader, and probably isn't considering that the value they place on looking young might change when they get older. After all, it's not like women who care deeply about teen fashion when they're 16 still care about it when they're 66.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2010

I think many who believe in an afterlife with loved ones do sometimes start longing for death...not so much death, but to pass on to be with reunited.

And I bet a lot of sixty-six year old fashionistas would argue with you about that. My mamaw might kick your butt with her stiletto heels! :p

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2010

I probably wouldn't want to live that long. I would be afraid of what the world would be like when I'm 150. Not to mention all my loved ones passing on and me being the only one living.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 14, 2010

Heck no! I'm a very independent person and just don't like the thought of having to rely on others. No matter how healthy you are most people have illnesses that are really unpreventable-- arthritis, parkinson's, alzheimer's, cancer. I have a grandmother (I call her that even though she really just was my grandfather's girlfriend) who was a total spitfire. Now she can't see because of macular degeneration, has had to deal with bladder cancer, can't live/get around on her own and she's only in her 90's. It's been so sad to just watch her deteriorate.

I don't see the reason for it -I think I'd just be tired.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2010

STG... the only thing I can say it would be to see what started out as 2 people my hubby & me, to see what kind of family we "produce." I think at all my gpas kids, grandkids etc... it must be amazing to look at that.

As of now... I think I would have liked to been like him to see all the changes he has seen in his 100 yrs... I'm not so sure in the future will have the "milestones" that weren't based off of something already invented.

12. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 14, 2010

I don't really have a choice in the matter. It is not my decision on how old I will live to-it is God's. Each day is a gift, and I try to live it accordingly. If God choses me to live to be 150, then He has a purpose for me to fulfill.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2010

Amen... That's why when someone says to me you're going to eat that?!?! It's one of those things I could diet until I'm blue, but could cross the street tomorrow & get hit, what would my diet do for that?!?! LOL!!!

14. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 14, 2010

Oh-Amen to that! I say everything in moderation. I have a loving husband, good health, wonderful son and a roof over our heads. I am very blessed!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2010

What a bizarre coincidence that you should ask today.

16. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2010

I would love to live to 150....... but only if my wife would live to be 130....... I wouldn't want to live a single day without her :)love:).......

If my wife were to pass on tomorrow... I would be gone the next day....:):)

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 14, 2010

I can't imagine living that long... so you retire at around 60 or 65... then live 85 more years retired? I would want to do stuff, but run out of money with which to do it. I'd just see myself in the job hunters forum at the age of 90 complaining that no one will hire me, cause I'm so old and already retired, but I want to get back to teaching so I can do something with my life...

I'm happy with dying whenever... I have no fear of death. Pain, however, is a different thing.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2010

Why?! It doesn't have anything to do with your appoitment today, does it?

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2010

Yeah. Not having a good day.

20. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jun 14, 2010

I wouldn't see why not live to 150. I would have more time to accomplish things I've always wanted to. If I did live to 150, I would probably teach for at least 100 years. That being said, if I ever retire.

21. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2010

I would have to agree. It definitely depends on what my state of being is. If I'm sick or in a vegitative state... no way, just let me pass. If I'm active and enjoying life, sure :)

22. JustJim

JustJim Companion

Jun 18, 2010

I think--if I could do work I find value in, and be with those I love--I'd want to live forever.

23. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jun 18, 2010

i would only want to live that long if my family lived that long as well. As it is my grandmother 67 has lost 2 of her 4 children already and has another with one foot in. (losing a battle with hep B)

I pains me to see her lose her children i would much rather die younger than bury my children.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2010

One of my very favorite books, by the way, is Tuck Everlasting...