Would you trade your summer off for more pay?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by UpperMidwest, Apr 29, 2019.

1. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

May 5, 2019

Nope. I teach a language, and use that time to travel for extended periods and/or volunteer to get extra practice speaking. I also like going to a conference to learn, go to the park, getting mental rest.

Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  2. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 6, 2019

I truly wouldn't say no to a year-round situation with more or less equivalent amount of breaks. They'd become my new vacation time. I like the concept of staggered breaks.

As to the original question, I think I would need about double my paycheck to give up summer vacation.

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 6, 2019

It wouldn't be healthy for me to give up my entire summer break. I need that time to recharge. Yes, trading the summer for extra money sounds enticing, but it's not worth sacrificing my well-being.

readingrules12 likes this.
  4. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

May 6, 2019

I wouldn't object to a different configuration of breaks, but I also need time to recharge. Currently, I works 180 days. If that increased to roughly 245-250 days, I would need a much larger increase than 25%.

otterpop, Backroads and whizkid like this.
  5. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

May 7, 2019

I already do it and it's not a big deal. I have 4 weeks off in summer vs the traditional 9 and it's the perfect amount of break. We have three days off each week during summer too which is awesome. I am fairly compensated for the work, and not every student shows up because it's ESY. I tend to get bored easily with too long of a break.... I like schedule and consistently which this does for me.