Would You Teach Your Own Child?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TripleB, Apr 24, 2009.

1. TripleB

TripleB New Member

Apr 24, 2009

I'm a 7th grade math teacher and my daughter is going to be in 7th grade next year. She wants to have me (her dad) as her teacher but I'm still weighing the positives and the negatives from both my point of view and hers.

So I would like to hear what you think.

Is it a good idea to teach your own child (or for your child to have you as a teacher) in a public school if there are other options?

Thanks for any input.

TripleB

3. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2009

Are you the best math teacher there? Can you treat her like any other kid in class? If you answer yes BY ALL means teach her. What a great opportunity. I taught both mine PE for 6 years and reading in a few grades.

4. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Apr 24, 2009

I'm surprised that your administration will let you if there are other options. With that said, I had my mother teach me in high school for all 4 years, but it was a specialty subject and she was the only one teaching it. I did have issues with what to call her in class . . . I mostly just raised my hand without calling. I enjoyed it until the other kids said things like, "Well, of course she got an A, she probably sees the tests in advance." "Of course she got the subject award, her mother gives her extra credit points." etc. I tried not to let it bother me, and my good grades in other classes pretty much proved it wasn't favortism. There are good and bad points to it.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 24, 2009

I don't have a choice, as I'm the only 6th grade teacher. Actually, I'm not looking forward to it (my daughter's only in 2nd now). I guess I'll figure it out...or there's always that sabbatical...

6. TripleB

TripleB New Member

Apr 24, 2009

According to the test scores over the past 6 years I am (highest growth each year). I believe so.

My biggest worry: How will she react if she hear's other students talking 'bad' about me? Which may be a mute point because I'm sure she will hear things like that whether I teach her or not because I'll be teaching quite a few of her friends.

Why I think I would like to: She has struggled with Math for 6 years and some ways of doing math she has been taught are just wrong or very confusing. I think this may be my one chance to have her 'get Math' and make sure she finally has a solid foundation before she goes any further in school. I'm not saying that I'm that good of teacher but my students seem to find the way I explain things simple to understand.

Thanks for all the input so far.

TripleB

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 24, 2009

My dad taught me. I taught my son in 2nd grade (for reading only). My dad had me two years. Once when I was in 3rd, then we moved and again when we were in 7th. It was worse in 3rd.

My son is in his 2nd year with his father as his teacher and livestock judging coach. He has trouble with the hearing his friends talking about his dad part.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 24, 2009

I have my daughter this year (her freshman year) as we had no choice since I am the only teacher teaching this subject. If I had my choice, I would not have her in my class again. In my case, the class room became an extentsion of home. We have a very close relationship and she wanted to continue that in the classroom. I also think she's a little jealous of my students - that they like me, invite me to their games, tell me stuff, etc. . . I do enjoying seeing her everyday, and watching her in a classroom setting, but I really could have seen that without actually having her in my class.

Anyway, it was bearable, but the year with her has been long

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2009

I had a friend in HS that had her mother for 2 years. Her mom was the only teacher that taught freshman and senior English so she didn't really have a choice. My friend called her Mrs. Lastname when in class.

In Jr High, I was in a class with the principal's daughter. He took over teaching pre-Algebra when the teacher was fired. She had the highest grade in the class while the rest of us struggled. Most of the class wasn't happy about that.

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 24, 2009

I have to add - my daughter has one of the lowest grades in my class with a B. This is a class of all academic honors kids so the lowest grades really aren't that low. I guess my biggest problem is watching all my students over-achieve while my happy-go-lucky daugher is happy with her B. :eek:hmy:

BTW - my daughter calls me mom - the other part of this equation is having my students spend the night at my house every weekend since I have ALL her friends in class. Nothing like all your students seeing you first thing in the morning with bedhead and fuzzy slippers. :eek:

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2009

I taught my daughter in 2nd grade for reading only and I was a little skeptical at first. I think that she called me mom and I probably was harder on her that I was on the other children. She received my reading award because she really did have the highest scores. I can say that she also received the reading award for having the highest scores in reading when she was in fourth and fifth grade. She always does well in reading on standardized test.

12. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Apr 24, 2009

Here's my short answer.....No.

Here's my long answer....Noooooooooooooooooooo

He listens and learns from his teachers, he doesn't from me....never has.

MsAbeja likes this.
  13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2009

This is my answer as well. It would never work for my daughter and I.

14. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2009

I think it would completely depend on the child. I teach K and I believe it could work with my son and I. I don't think I would necessarily choose to do it, since there are plenty of other fine teachers, but I do think it could work. My main concern would be that I might be harder on him than other students, especially in terms of behavior. So I would probably need some kind of reality check on that.

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2009

It might have worked with my older kids, but my two youngest no way, no how!!!!!! My son knows too well how to push my buttons and my daughter she is too needy!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 25, 2009

I would never teach my own son. It wouldn't work out. We are father and son, not teacher and student.

17. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Apr 25, 2009

I went the same elementary school my mom taught at. It was a small school, and there was only one teacher for every grade. My mom always switched classes to make sure she wasn't teaching me. So, for example, while she normally taught 2nd grade, when I was in 2nd, she moved to 3rd. Then, when I was in 3rd, she moved back to 2nd.

However, I was also in the gifted program, which consisted of students going one grade higher for their math and language arts lessons. Therefore, I did have her as a teacher for part of the day. I don't remember much about it, but my mom said she had a hard time separating "mom feelings" from "teacher feelings". She said there was one point when I wasn't understanding something, and she was getting frustrated with me. Her assistant pulled her to the side and said, "Would you be getting frustrated if this student wasn't your daughter?" She tried not to put too much pressure on me, but I know it was hard for her.

18. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Apr 25, 2009

My mom was my teacher for one subject in fourth grade. She tried to be really fair about it. She made my dad study for my tests with me. :) I called her mom in class - it would be weird for me to do anything else.

On the other side, my mom and I taught a kindergarten readiness program together last summer. We had Ms. Lastname and Mrs. Lastname. The kids would say our name and one of us would answer. It was really hard for me to call her "Mrs. Lastname," but I got over it.

Overall, I liked having my mom as my teacher. It wasn't a problem for us.

19. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Apr 25, 2009

Oh yeah, my mom definitely said that she would not have been able to have my sister in her class. It simply would not have worked. I guess it depends on the child.

20. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 25, 2009

I taught both of my children in 8th grade. As long as both parties treat each other as teacher/student, and not -at ANY time during a class - as parent/child, things should be fine.

I put my son in detention more than once. They got no preferential treatment from me, nor did I come down any harder on them than on any other student in my class. In the classroom, I am not Mom. Even when they forgot, and called me Mom, the atmosphere was still very much "school" and not "home."

I can see how younger children might have trouble separating the two worlds, but older students should make the transition with no trouble. Sometimes it's the adult who has the problem, not the child, in fact. :)

21. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2009

NO! NO and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!:(
    OMG! It goes against every rule in the book of FAIRNESS! You will find yourself in a terrible situation, regardless of what anyone says. I am witnessing that right now with a teacher and her child. Every time the kid cries, she's checking more than she would if it was another child crying. When she has to run an errand, her kid is always going with her. She picks up her child, but hardly any other child. Her child calls her names, she freaks out about it, threatens him with punishments, etc. IT IS RIDICULOUS! I had my son in my class in Pre-school. He was a biter; (Running the reports by the parents, after he vampired their kids,:( was a PITA!). His best buddy and him acted up a storm. I was harDER on him because I DID NOT WANT THE PARENTS TO THINK THAT I WAS PLAYING FAVORITISM. I knew I wasn't, but I knew some of the parents were wondering.It was not worth it. He had no choice because MY CLASS was the next class in his climb to KinderGARTEN. I loved the idea of having him in my class, BUT it was not worth the stress and the unnecessary questions in other parents' conversations. In the older classes, when there is no other option, I can see it done BUT with the younger kids,:crosseyed
    NO WAY, :dizzy:ANY DAY!
    Amen,
    Rebel1

22. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2009

I never had a problem. I treated them like all the rest.
    But it was fun being there to observe them. In K-1 reading I watched my daughter write two page stories that were put in our local paper. I got to watch her score many goals in soccer during my PE classes and County Intramural games. I guess PE is much different as all the kids love the coach and it seemed many gravitated toward my kids maybe for that reason. Both were almost perfect behavior wise. Now the funny thing is I get to do it again with my younger two. I get my other son for Kindergarten PE next year.

23. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2009

I had my mom for 1 class as a sophomore and 2 classes as a senior. It was not bad at all. I called her Mom in class and a lot of my friends called her "Mama (Her Firsrt Name)." My house was the party place in high school--everyone gathered there on the weekends. I did not have any of my children. No one would have even know that my older daughter and myself were related (if we did not have an unusual last name.) I would have had my younger daughter this year if I had not switched schools because they could not get her schedule to work out so she was in the other teacher's class.

24. Heathermeister

Heathermeister Rookie

Apr 25, 2009

I had my daughter in my class last year. I would never have another one of my children in my class again. It was not fair to her. I did not want any students or parents to think that I was favoring my daughter in any way, so I did not choose her for the Spelling Bee, Writing contest, etc... even though she deserved it. She would raise her hand in class and I would opt to choose another student before her. Even though I went to extremes to avoid favoritism, I still had a parent complain to the principal that I was favoring my daughter because she got an A on an essay and her daughter received a C. I learned my lesson and won't have my son in my class when he reaches my grade level.

25. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2009

Some parents will complain of that no matter what. There was a parent that complained that my daughter's third grade teacher was showing her favoritism because she was my child. So some people will just think that favoritism exists no matter what.

26. frogger

frogger Devotee

Apr 26, 2009

I don't have any children yet but I would probably not have any of my children in my class just for the fact that I would want them to have the freedom to be themselves at school without "MOM" there as well. They can have their independence and school identity that is separate so they can grow and become their own person.

27. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Apr 26, 2009

I have chosen to teach at a different school than my children attend so that I won't have to teach them. I would be uncomfortable having them as a student. Plus, I like the fact that they have their own space to be with friends and do their thing without me hearing about every little detail (good or bad).

28. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Apr 26, 2009

This is what happened to me. I was in a small, rural school and my mom was the only vocal music teacher. One of our favorite stories is how three weeks into the school year we were sitting down for dinner and I asked my mom if she was ever going to call on me in class. She was so focused on showing un-favoritism (word? probably not, but it works) that she was totally and completely ignoring me, even if I was the only one with my hand up.

29. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Apr 26, 2009

Since I am the only teacher of my subject in our small, rural school I will undoubtedly have both of my kids in class. They will have it bad - I teach 8th through 12th grade. It wil be strange with their classes. They each have about 30 kids in their whole grade and I know most of their classmates really well.

30. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Apr 27, 2009

I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't feel comfortable and I wouldn't think my child would, either.

31. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 27, 2009

I wish I had!

32. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 27, 2009

You wish you had taught your own child? How come? I am just curious.

33. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Apr 27, 2009

My youngest son was in my class when he was in 7th grade. He called me Mom, just like any other time, and there was never a problem having him as a student. I subbed in my daughter's classes prior to being hired, but sadly never had the opportunity to have my oldest as a student. He graduated from HS the same year I graduated from college. Anyhow, my vote would be a yes! I loved having my son as a student and now that he's about to graduate from college it's a real "memory" for both of us! Plus, he really is (and was) a great student!

34. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2009

I thought a spelling bee by its nature selected the best kid. We do the whole class and the best two go.................

35. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 27, 2009

The teacher she had for fifth grade was horrible. I know if I'd had her in my class she'd been much better prepared for 6th grade. I was a tough, demanding teacher when I taught 5th grade, she'd been just another kid I'd expected a lot from. The only down fall was the district I taught in, it would have been hard for her socially which may have been a curse. It was a hard decision for me to make. In retrospect, she turned out ok.

36. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 27, 2009

I am glad there are seven of us teaching 2nd/3rd grade combos. My twin girls need their own teachers, and neither needs me to be one of them. They're so little, they want to be in their mom's class. But I know they need a teacher AND a mom, and I think they'll benefit from having many adults working with them and wishing them success in life.

37. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2009

I taught 4 of my 6 children
    My 34 year old I taught while subbing (a whole 2 weeks) she loved it,
    a boy in the class was giving her a problem he came up to me after a couple of days and asked me if I was her dad I said I was and them gave him the "Dad Look" he stopped.

My 26 year old Son was in my class for 3 years and was a great student (he knew what parent/teacher conferences would be like :lol:) in fact his home room was 25 feet from my classroom door he used to say that was "scarry" :lol: he would call me dad so some of the other kids would call me dad but very respectful
    My son had been going to my class on weekends from birth, so he was looking forward to being in my class. On weekends I never taught him anything (except safety) I just turned him loose so by the time he was my student he was a self taught 6th grade shop "expert" so 7th & 8th grade was easy

My last two step kids I had for 3 years also no problems.

I say go for it TripleB