Would you teach your own child?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Hamster, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

At first I said "absolutey not!" Then I talked to the other 4th grade teacher and she said "think about it, I taught my daughter in 5th grade and now years later we laugh and remember all the funny things that happened in class." She said, " sure parents and kids say things like , your kids get the answers etc." She said to ignore it, having your kid once in your life is worth it. So now the principal said she doesn't care whatever I want to do??? I think I'll do it. My daughter thinks it would be great and I told her she would be treated like everyone else and she would have to call me Mrs.___.

3. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

I think it would depend on the child. I don't think that I would want to teach my daughter because she would feel the need to "help" me constantly. Sometimes her teachers report that she spends too much time "teaching" her peers how to do things that getting her own work done. I know this would be a big problem if I were her teacher. That, and we need that break from one another sometimes, and we wouldn't get that otherwise.

I have known a few teachers who have taught their children, and it worked out really well.

Now that I think about it, I did sub my daughter's class once last year. She did really well though, and I had no problems with her--except that she wanted to describe the personalities of every student beforehand! (so I would be prepared--her words!)

4. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

Yeah, we have discussed how things would be in the classroom. She is a good listener and does not like to be in trouble. I think it will be o.k. We are a small school so I already know each kid anyway. I've had them at birthday parties, field trips etc. Thanks for the input. I can't stand when people totally shut down the idea. It is only for one year.

5. CheleOh

CheleOh Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

I had both of my kids as 5th graders and we all loved it. They're 19 and 15 now and will tell you it was one of their best years. They'll also tell you that I was harder on them than the others, but it was expected (they know my high expectations for them academically and behaviorally) and it all turned out for the best. I never had another student or parent "complain" about the situation. It was WONDERFUL being able to watch them interact and learn with their peers.

And they called me "Mom". I figured it was silly for them to have to try to remember to call me "Mrs. O". Besides, who were they fooling? Everyone KNEW I was their mom....

I will say that with my daughter (the older) it was a given. She's very independent and I had no worries about us working together. My son had to "earn it" in 4th grade by proving to me that he could get his organizational act together. I told him I couldn't "worry" about him all day AND all night. ;) He most certainly pulled it together and has become the more organized and responsible of the 2!

Good luck with your decision!

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 15, 2007

I don't have kids, but I'd have to say no. I have friends who are children of teachers and really hated that. They didn't even have their parents teaching them, but the fact that they were a "teacher's kid" in the school where mom or dad taught was stressful. Apparently they felt they always had to be perfect or had a lot of expectations put on them by non-family members to be a good student. Sounded a lot like being the preachers kid. You feel like everyone is watching you and what you do will reflect on your parents because everyone expects you to be perfect since you have such a role model.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2007

If there was an option, I'd say, "No". I know that it wouldn't work with either of my kids. We love each other dearly, but all need our own personal and private space. My daughter is now 13, and having to spend all day with me in front of her peers would be devastating for her. My son, when younger, was painfully shy and would never have been able to socially deal with with any comments made about his mom being his teacher.

I think, though, as others have said, it depends on the kids and the situation.

8. knitchic

knitchic Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

I think it would really depend on how comfortable you and your child are with the idea. You seem to have thought it out, and if your principal doesn't have a problem with it then I would say go for it! I;m sure some issues will crop up, but when does that not happen with any student? Have fun with it!

9. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

As of now, I am going to have her in my room. Thanks CheleOh for the positive input. You sound like the teacher I am teaching with. She said she has great memories of it. I'll let you know how it goes on the 28th when we start.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2007

I don't have any kids now, but my automatic answer would be no. I just think it would be too complicated-and it might be ok here in Idaho, but in Missouri where I'm from I don't think it would be allowed.

I had my uncle in junior high for a shop teacher and I loved it. I don't think anyone knew he was my uncle. But in high school the choir director's daughter was in choir with me. I hated it. He was hard on her-when he was speaking to her. But besides that-she got a lot of solos. And she wasn't really all that great. She would have more solos, but yet she never made it into the district choir. So I really didn't like that-but you can't do much about a choir teacher-there weren't any other ones!

11. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

I'm finding teachers that do not have kids of their own disagree with this. Isn't that funny. I guess someday if you have children, you would see it differently. Kids grow up so fast and I think this will be the only time I can have my child in class. Believe me, I don't play favorites with my kids. I'm not like that.

12. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 15, 2007

You might want to take into account how other will react too. I had an aide whose daughter was in my class and it often was a problem. She helped her child more than the others and over corrected children who bothered her child. It frustrated the other parents in the class. :)

13. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

Well, I am having my son in my class this next year, so I'll be glad to have some company!! I don't have the choice as I'm the only 4th grade teacher. Luckily my son has been at the top of his class for years, so I won't have to worry about him "all of a sudden" getting A's - LOL!! We've had some long talks - he'll call me mom, like the other poster noted, all the kids know anyway. The main problem he has with me is that I know what he is capable of! Good luck and let's talk as the year goes by!
    Michelle

14. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

I may have my 5th grader this year too! I'm really torn with this. For us personally, it would be fine. He is a good kid and I think we could make it work.

However, for him academically, it is the subject he hates most and I think he would try to "slide" on homework, etc. I don't feel like I want to police him at home to do the assignment (reading) that I would require as a teacher. :unsure: We may not have a choice though...so we'll see.

15. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

Do you have someone else at home who can do the policing there? I've already given my husband the heads up that he is on homework and test-studying detail for this upcoming year, since it wouldn't be fair for me to help my son study for a test that I wrote - LOL!

16. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

Great idea! I thought of this also when/if another teacher has a complaint about my child, just tell them to call my husband. This is the first time that I will be working at my child's school. I've never had to deal with these issues.

17. redraider

redraider Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

It completely depends on the relationship you and your child have and whether or not you can handle it together. I just finished teaching my daughter for her 4th grade year, and I would not trade it for the world! We had rough moments, times when it was hard for me to see her struggle socially or times when work was not completed and she faced consequences, but we worked throught it. I allowed my daughter to decide what she wanted to call me, and she chose to call me Mom. That was the one perk she really had over the others. That and extremely great homework help! ha My daughter had ADHD, and she had behavioral issues, so I treated those as I would any other child in my class... I called her parent (her dad). I had to get used to putting on my teacher hat with her and putting away my parenting hat, and she had to check herself at times as well. The other students in the class watched very closely to see that I would be fair with her and with them, but once that was established, there were no problems with the arrangement. The only problem I did have was with other teachers and with my administrator "taking up" for my daughter and really trying to shield her when she had to experience consequences. I also had an arrangement with my teaching buddy next door that when her behavior was flipping me into "mom" mode (where I wanted to spank her bottom!) I would go to her door and say "sanctuary", meaning my daughter needed a place to go and do her work and "chill out" before I hurt her. Just kidding. This particular teacher had also taught her own son the year before. We only had to do that maybe five times the whole year. Because I did get to teach my daughter, I could see how she interacted socially and how she learned academically and help her figure out some of her likes/dislikes and how she thinks the best. Our relationship is much stronger having had this experience together. In fact, this year, she said she wanted to have me again. That would be called "homeschooling" I think.

18. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

redraider, thanks for your input on this. My son REALLY wants me as a teacher and I'm only in my 2nd year of teaching so didn't know what to think.

Also, welcome to AtoZ. From your screen name, you may be from my area of Texas!

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2007

I did......I taught my daughter in kindergarten and I loved it! Now she is 21, and still talks about her fond memories of having mom as her kindergarten teacher. :love: She is now an education major hoping to teach K someday too. I would say if you and your child are ok with the idea, then do it! You will never have this chance again.

20. redraider

redraider Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

We live in Pampa. I wish you the best. It will be one of the best experiences of your career (I hope). You just need to give yourselves (you and your son both) time to figure it all out without overreacting. I have taught 13 years and it was rewarding. Best of luck to you!

21. redraider

redraider Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Don't worry about it being his toughest subject. My daughter had me for writing, which is her weakest area, and it turns out that I knew her well enough to be able to find ways to motivate her to write. She began the year writing less than a paragraph in one class period and ended the year with 1 point below commended on her state writing test. It may just be that God is providing your son with an opportunity here and that you are a part of his solution. God Bless and best wishes.

22. redraider

redraider Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Sorry.... I meant to say 'His' solution. :)

23. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll find out soon if he is placed in my class. I think I'm more worried than him! ;)

(p.s. I'm near Lubbock so the Red Raider name is familiar!)

24. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 16, 2007

I had my son this past year and I loved it! He liked it pretty well too-except when he got in trouble a couple of times!!!! Awwwwwwwwwww come on MOOOOOOOM!!!!:eek:

25. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

Thanks to all you Moms out there. I'm sure we'll have a great year together!

26. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

Teaching your own child is not allowed in our district unless substituting. I did that a few times. You cannot student teach at a school where your child is attending either. I personally don't think it would work for me, but if it's allowed and it seems like a good fit, go for it. My problem was in addition to my daughter was that I knew some of the girls too well--many of them had slept over at my house numerous times. The familiarity was good and bad.

27. mojo

mojo Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

From the day my daughter was born, I contemplated over the idea of teaching my own child(I teach two grade levels). Last year I made the decision to send her to kindergarten at another school(I'm in a Catholic school with only one class per grade level).

This was the hardest decision I've ever had to make because my husband and I were both graduates of the school I currently teach in. It took me six years before I finally made the decision based on what was best for my child.

I talked to teachers that taught their own child and those that chose not to teach their own child. I was surprised to hear that most of those that taught their own child wished they hadn't(mostly because of the social issues) and those that hadn't taught their child are glad that they didn't. Yet I had one that taught their own child and loved it and one other that never taught their child but sometimes wished she had. I listened to their advice but still toyed with the idea of teaching my daughter. I made a pros and cons list and discovered that it was best for her if I did not teach her.

I am thrilled with my decision now because she has a huge circle of friends, not attached to my hip and in her own world away from her mother's "job." I never wanted my decision to be about me. It needed to be about her.

I didn't mean to ramble on but I want teachers to know that this isn't an easy decision to make. Your child's future needs to be considered. I think that teachers must make their own decisions about whether or not they teach their own child based on what is best for the child.

28. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

I'm not really thinking about it too much anymore. I'm going to go ahead and teach her. Our school is so small I know all the kids in the school plus 80% of the parents already. It will be fine. I like the idea of I will know when all her tests, projects, and book reports will be due. Like I said earlier, I don't ever play favorites with my kids or my students.

29. cogteach

cogteach Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

I have 3 boys. At the school I was serving, we had an option and I did not teach my older 2. When the youngest came along, I thought I would try it and am I so glad I did. Now my older boys say they wished I had taught them. Although their personalities are different and probably wouldn't have worked as well. It depends on the child.
    We had one incident at the beginning of the year when he was just irresponsible and had to suffer the consequences and when he knew I meant business, he was fine. He chose to call me Mrs. X. One comical time was when the children were lining up and he wanted my attention. He kept saying "Mrs. X" over and over, but I was helping another student and couldn't answer. Finally a friend said, "Why don't you just say Mom, that's what she is, maybe she would answer!"

30. IRAEnglishT-chr

IRAEnglishT-chr Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

This topic cracks me up because I have taught my kids since birth :lol: I taught them to talk, crawl, walk, eat with a spoon, drink from a cup, go in the potty, be friendly, ride a bike, cook macaroni...hee hee

Plus I have been homeschooling my son for four years now and will begin *officially* homeschooling my Kindergarten daughter this year. You'd be your daughter's best teacher--you have more of a stake in her success than anyone!

Good luck! :2up:

31. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

To: IRAEnglishT-chr
    That is kind of how I feel. We homeschool all the time but just don't call it home schooling.

32. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Sounds like you've made up your mind...good for you!

I taught my oldest son when he was in 2nd grade, and loved it! He's 19 now...and we have some great father/son trips down memory lane, remembering the good old days. Not too many people in this world get the opportunity to do what you're contemplating. I say go for it!

33. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

Thanks Cheesehead; I agree this opportunity won't come along again. She is my youngest child.

34. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 17, 2007

I had both my daughter and my son in grades 6, 7, & 8 Language Arts, and it was fine. Why in the world would it make any difference?

35. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

Mamacita,
    Your own web page cracks me up! I agree with almost everything you write about. I totally understand when you talk about the community school supplies. I was the same way. I teach 4th grade and am in charge of the school store. If a kid doesn't have a pencil, he is going to buy one from me (.10). Maybe that way he won't lose his. I like the old cartoons too!

36. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 18, 2007

Thank you, Hamster; I appreciate your kind words very much.

37. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

This is interesting. When I first read your question, my first reaction was to think NO. But, like you, I am rethinking. I just had not thought of the creating memories part and the getting to see another part of your child's life and them seeing you in a little different light as well....interesting. The more I think about it, I'd say YES! Perhaps you can keep the option open of moving your daughter to the other class if it just doesn't seem to be working out...like if either of you is driving the other nuts from too much togetherness or whatever. ;-)

Hope it works out great for you!
    Now I think I'm a little jealous.