Would you take this job?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by newbie87, Dec 6, 2009.

1. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 6, 2009

I've been trying to find a part time job to make some money during my winter break and maybe keep on the weekends/nights when I do my intership. I sent out my resume to this children's museum. The only problem is it's 3 hours away and will take me four buses to get there. I want the job, but not sure about the commute. :( In this economy, would you take such a job? Also, do jobs that focus on children/learning look good for someone who's applying for a teaching job (Which I will be starting in June.)?

3. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 6, 2009

yes yes yes. grab anything you can get in this economy. sorry it will be a commute, i hate to stay in traffic, but load up your iPod. you can definitely spin this experience to be edu-friendly!

4. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Dec 6, 2009

3 hours away?
    How much are you going to be spending on your commute? That's 6 hours there and back.
    I wouldn't take it.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 6, 2009

Sorry, I'm going to say skip it. I currently commute 4 hours a day, and it's really draining. After a full day's work, the commute leaves me with very little time at home with dh. And I have my own car to drive and can stop for errands if I need to. A bus will be really tough, especially if one is running late and you miss your connection.

6. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 6, 2009

Well, it would only cost me 50 dollars a month for a bus pass, but I have to buy one for the school my intership is located at anyway. I'm thinking of taking the job and if it's too much quiting after January when my intership starts. Does one month of work look ok or bad?

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 7, 2009

3 hours? Like 3 hours there, and 3 hours back? So let's say this job starts at 9:00am, and ends at 4:00pm. That would mean getting on a bus at 6:00am, and getting off at 7:00pm. When would you have time for trips to the bank, getting your hair cut, shopping, anything for you?

It may seem like a good idea, but that is a looooong time to dedicate daily to a job.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 7, 2009

Take it only if you really, really, REALLY, want the job. I did a two hour commute via public transit for two years and I cannot imagine adding an hour on top of that. It might work for the winter break but anything beyond that when you have your regular job I can't see working. I would say keep trying to get something closer to home that you could keep after the break more easily.

9. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Dec 7, 2009

No that is way too difficult of a commute. Keep looking!

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2009

That is a really long commute and would not do unless I had somewhere where I could live during the week that is much closer.

11. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Dec 7, 2009

Eeesh. That is a REALLY long commute! Personally, I wouldn't take it. I feel like the drain of the commute would outweigh the benefits of the job.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2009

:yeahthat:

My son went to college 3 hours away...(We're in NJ, he went to school in RI-he lived there) with any traffic, it adds to your commuting time and just makes you miserable..There are sure to be opportunities to work with kids in your area- keep an eye out for those.

13. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 7, 2009

I wish I had a car. That's the first thing I'm getting when I get my first longterm teaching job.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2009

Driving 3 hours in a car wouldn't be any better...

15. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 7, 2009

czacza, I disagree... driving 3 hours in a car would be much better than 3 hours in a bus... it would still suck though.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 7, 2009

Heck no! I sure wouldn't w/ public transportation & I sure wouldn't want to put that wear & tear on my own car either. Growing up, my parents would rent a car to drive 1 hour one-way.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2009

At least on a bus you can sleep, read...either way, 3 hours is no commute- it's hell.

18. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 7, 2009

I suppose... I guess I have control issues... I'd much rather be the one driving.

But I can agree with you on your last point!

19. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Dec 7, 2009

Ouch! 3 hours each way...on a bus?! I don't know... I personally don't think I'd take it. There must be something a bit closer... Maybe you could look up a local elementary school and ask a teacher if you could help with an afterschool club. Or, volunteer in a teacher's room. Nanny. Work in a daycare. Tutor. Work for a local rec center and help with classes/child care there. See if a church needs help with Sunday school. Just a couple ideas that could save you six (6!) hours a day!! That's like a job in itself!

20. rgeczi

rgeczi New Member

Dec 7, 2009

If just the thought of doing the commute, or posting in here, I think you already found your answer. Imagine when you ACTUALLY have to do the 3 hours each way. I agree with what some others have said, try to find some closer to you, if possible.

21. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 7, 2009

Actually, it's about 1 and 1/2 by car.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 8, 2009

I'm tired just thinking of the whole bus route & that's before even starting the work shift! :dizzy: By the time I'm back home after the work shift & the bus route back, I'd be a frazzled pile on the floor.

23. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 8, 2009

I think the question is do you need it? If you will not survive without the money then do it. If it's a standard of living question don't as the commute will diminish your living situation too. As for if it would look good on a resume, definately. If you're thinking long term, I'd look at getting a little used car and I'd definately drive an hour and a half to a decent paying job.