Would you take behavioral kids or helicopter parents?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherBug08, Feb 18, 2014.

1. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Feb 18, 2014

I teach at a school where it is pretty much classroom management 24/7. Sometimes I feel like I don't even get to teach. I am thinking of going to a different school district. What is stopping me?-I'm nervous about the parents. I am honestly used to parents not attacking or complaining. What would you take behavioral kids all day or helicopter parents?

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 18, 2014

Behavioral kids...hands down.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2014

I can help kids manage behaviors. Parents are harder to control.:D

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 18, 2014

Are we talking about an equal amount here or a proportional basis?

If I had to choose 10% of students with behavior and 10% of parents causing issues I'd take the parents. Parents are less of an issue parents because it is only me that is affected - not my students. They don't disrupt my day to day teaching and my kids aren't bothered by it at all.

That said, if I had to have 10 of each I'd take the kids. I can manage a few kids without too much effort. Managing and equal amount of parents isn't always as easy.

6. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 18, 2014

I'll take the parents at the HS level. I'm pretty good at telling them what they want to hear, even if it means telling them something bad in a very nice way.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2014

Right now, I have admin who is golden with challenging parents, so I'd take them hands-down right now.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 18, 2014

At the HS level I'd take the parents. Elementary I'd take the kids.

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2014

I'd rather deal with the behavior issues. I've had years where it's 24/7 and some easier years, like this year thankfully. From what I've heard from friends in the suburbs is the helicopter parents are going full swing every single year. On top of that- they have behavior problems too- not like what I've experienced, but their students certainly aren't perfect by any means- and when helicopter parents and behavior problems mix it's pretty ugly. Meanwhile, I have 0 helicopter parents, parents either don't get involved or they respect me 100% and listen to what I have to say.

10. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Feb 18, 2014

Helicopter parents. At least then you've got something to work with, unlike when you call home about a kid's behavior and the parent says, "Well what do you want me to do?" Umm, be a parent?

11. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 18, 2014

If I had to choose... helicopter parents. I actually enjoy working with them and I like the challenge.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2014

Behavior issues.

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 18, 2014

After teaching in my district, I would take helicopter parents over behavior problems ANY DAY.

On a daily basis, I deal with kids who are rude, disrespectful and out-of-control. Many do not value education so they are not coming to school to learn - they come to socialize and they expect a HS diploma simply for showing up. They are disruptive and often become confrontational when you ask them to behave like someone with some sense.

I'm constantly calming down (pre) fights and have been pushed and shoved when breaking up fights. I know people say you should never break up a fight, but I'm not going to just stand there when I fear one kid is going to kill another even if they are 17 y/o. I've taught in 3 schools in this district and have found the same behaviors across the board. Since our system does not like OSS because these numbers make us look like a violent school system, there are no consequences for these kids - they are allowed to disrupt and act a fool day-in and day-out.

Also, while my parents are pretty apathetic; when they feel their child has been "wronged", they can become really nasty. I've had many encounters with and seen parents cursing out teachers (in front of students) and threatening teachers. I've even seen parents come to the school to try and fight students - STUDENTS!!!:eek: These parents are no walk in the park, trust me.

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 18, 2014

LOL. I've heard this one so many times from parents that I can tell when its coming.

I also get a lot of parents that straight up admit that they can't do a darn thing with their child. They've pretty much given up and they are tired of hearing teachers call them to complain about their child year-after-year.

15. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Feb 18, 2014

Helicopter parents. The kids are usually getting some foundation about the importance of school at home with helicopter parents.

16. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2014

I'd take the helicopter parents as along as the kids are well behaved.

Sometimes, however, the helicopter parents' kids are the behavior problems as well. It's 50/50 from my experience.

17. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 18, 2014

Parents. I learned this trick from my Drivers Ed. coach in high school. You don't sit down during a conference and keep your cool, you make them think you are about to have a heart attack and show them tests that OTHER students graded, also, show all the referrals the student has gotten from other teachers. I also thought about becoming an attorney bu I decided not to so I still get to play lawyer when I get to prove my case.

18. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Feb 18, 2014

You go into conferences with a confrontational attitude right from the start? Did I read that correctly?

19. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 18, 2014

Hahaha, sounds like a good way to lose a job! I would love to watch one of your conferences though!

20. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Feb 18, 2014

I would love to have parents who have the time and energy to put into their kid's education - They are part of the team. Behavior issues are a pain in my neck. That being said I have never had more than one or two parents ever get overly involved in my class. I loved having their input. I have lots of bahavioral issues - The goals aren't the same. Not even close.

21. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 18, 2014

Helicopter parents, by far.

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 18, 2014

My original answer didn't actually answer the question. I would much rather deal and work with helicopter parents. We have a different name for them in my school. We call them "engaged parents", and we need them desperately. Because I teach my students from a distance, I cannot be an enforcer like my engaged parents can. I've had a long phone call with one mom every week for the last three weeks. Her son is no longer failing my class. We are all accountable to one another.

23. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Feb 18, 2014

:yeahthat:

24. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 18, 2014

I'd take the parents. Children I work with 7 hours a day, but parents far less. I have had helicopter parents and they aren't that bad...just have to keep them really busy, regular communication, and throw a few compliments about their child at them.

25. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Feb 18, 2014

I've been thinking it would be easier to deal with the parents vs. The behavior issues. This has helped me. I need and deserve a better school environment and can't be scared of dealing with the parents.

26. melnm

melnm Companion

Feb 19, 2014

After working with both, I'd choose helicopter parents. It is so much better to have involved parents, even if it is excessive, than parents that I never talk to or see during the whole school year.

27. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 19, 2014

My principal LOVES it. I invite him and every admin in the office into a conference if they want to.

28. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 19, 2014

I let them argue their case and let them tell me how horrible I am than I argue my side. My coach's thing was, "if I am worse than a cop, I am doing my job"

29. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Feb 19, 2014

Hands down I'd much rather deal with helicopter parents. These constant behavior issues are going to be the death of me.

30. AliLand

AliLand Rookie

Feb 20, 2014

I'd choose based on kids not parents. I do actually find challenging kids more rewarding in the long run, but I have a much easier job than most teachers with regards to behavior- never more than 2 hours at a time with the same class, rarely more than 12 kids at once if they are 10 to 15 years, support staff if they are younger, and almost always - the most disruptive are together in small groups. I reckon most teachers can handle that!
    With colleagues, I to whinge about overly involved parents. I'd take them any day over ones that don't care though.

31. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 20, 2014

Right now, I would like to have ANY parents involved!!!!!

32. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Feb 20, 2014

I would prefer behaviour challenges, but can manage helicopter parents if need be.