Would you take a para job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sunshine24, Jan 23, 2013.

1. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jan 23, 2013

It is downright impossible to land teaching jobs in my area right now, even with a Special Ed license. My question is this: would you accept a para job in a local school to hold you over until a full time teaching position arises?

I ask because I applied for a teaching position that I am now told is for the 7-12 grade level (i am 1-6). When the principal emailed me this, she also specifed that a para job may be opening up if I was interested. I said I would be interested, if the job is full time, because at this point I am in need of a full time position with decent pay and benefits. However, I am thinking that perhaps a para job would feel "beneath" me, in some way. I mean, I am qualified to lead a class and instead I am just going to be taking the backseat and be deferring to the teacher in the classroom. I dont know what to do.

Do I consider this para job for the time being or do I keep subbing and hope that something comes up?

3. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jan 23, 2013

I'd take the para job. Especially if it had benefits!

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 23, 2013

I took a para job while I was going for my masters in special ed. As soon as a teaching position opened up I was the first one to be considered. It is really good experience and I enjoyed it more than subbing.

5. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jan 23, 2013

Plenty of paras are qualified tonlead a class. Many are certiied teachers who took para jobs for various reasons. A good para is an extreme asset to a school. Don't expect great pay though, and ask about the benefits.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2013

I would definitely take a para job. I subbed because I wasn't able to para financially, but I think being a para is more beneficial.

7. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 23, 2013

The only reasons to consider remaining a sub IMO are: (a) You feel like you have a good thing going in terms of making contacts with schools, AND (b) you feel that there is potential for job opportunities. Otherwise, if you feel that the P who informed you about the para- job has a good feel about you, it's a no-brainer (take the para- job).

I also think it will look better (resume), if you have sub experience and para- experience.

8. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jan 23, 2013

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

The principal just emailed me back and said the para job is only part time :( Now I am even more confused. The pay is not good at all (daily rate) and no benefits.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2013

I took an aide job before landing my current position. It was because I was in that aide position that I got my current position!

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2013

I don't think I'd take a part-time aide position without benefits.

11. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Jan 23, 2013

I'd take a full time aide position with benefits if it were in a district/school I wanted to eventually teach in. I know a teacher who was an aide, half days only in a school she wanted to work in for 2 years before they hired her as a teacher. I don't know if I could have gone that long, but you've gotta start somewhere!

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2013

I would do it if you get benefits. Our paras don't make much money, but they get insurance which is the huge benefit over subs. I have a para working in my classroom right now who is in the process of getting her education degree (2nd career). I'd be surprised if she doesn't get a teaching position with us once she has her degree.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2013

Sped para jobs carry a lot of weight..but take it only if you can afford the pay and no benefits.

14. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jan 23, 2013

Thank you to all who gave their input...it is truly appreciated.

I think if the para job would be full time, I would have jumped a little quicker in the hopes that it turns into a teaching position down the road. Now knowing that it is a part time job, I am even more hesitant. The sub teacher daily rate is more than the para daily rate and I would hate to take the para job and have to give up days subbing (possible maternity leaves) since some schools are figuring out hiring needs for next year. Basically, I am not hopeful of a full time job coming up before Sept (fingers crossed for even then, too) and I am just trying to do what may give me the best shot at something full time. I wanted to weigh my options before getting back to the principal tomorrow morning.

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2013

I currently work as a para for an afterschool program. So, in my case, it's even harder to make connections since I don't see many important people. Luckily, my principal appreciates me and even took it upon her to get me an interview for a part time teaching resource job. I didn't get it, they already knew who they wanted to hire, but she did it because she wanted my name to get out.

The pay isn't great and it's part time, but I actually like working part time. Hubby has great benefits from his work, so it's not an issue. I just wish the pay was a bit more. Thus, I tutor on the side.

16. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jan 26, 2013

Sunshine, where are you? I'm on Long Island and I was in the same boat. I have my MS in Elementary Education (1-6), got my extension in Early Childhood the semester after, and finished up with my Students with Disabilities certification this summer. I know how hard it is in parts of NY right now.

I subbed all of last year, but then one district offered me a full time para job for the last two months of the school year. I didn't get benefits, but I was with the same class every day for the rest of the school year.

At the end of this summer I decided to look for TA jobs instead of subbing. I work full time, and I have benefits. The salary isn't really a livable one, but if you can do it, I recommend it. Even though I'm uncertain of any future opportunities, many districts around me do tend to offer leave replacements to their TAs.

The district I was in last year often gave their leave replacements to TAs in the building. The principal and administration know you, since you're in the building every day. While I don't have a leave this year (and wasn't aggressively pursuing one, since I am going back to grad school full time for Literacy), there are still opportunities to gain more experience in the building. I'm on the Literacy committee for the upcoming Literacy Night, I am pulled to substitute in other classes when necessary, I am a substitute for the integrated play group after school, and I get to sit in on professional development days when there are subs available to cover me.

If you can afford to do it in the future, I say go for it. I love my class and my students, and I adore the teacher I work with. As a Para/TA, you get practice working with other adults in a classroom, which happens more and more frequently today. There's plenty of opportunity for collaboration (depending on the teacher you work with), and I find working with the same students every day more fulfilling than subbing (but that's a personal preference).

I'd only go for it if it was a full time position with benefits, though. If it was part time, I'd continue subbing.

17. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jan 26, 2013

I worked as a TA for 2 years in a different district before getting a teaching position. I think the experience definitely helped.

18. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jan 27, 2013

I would definitely take the para job but try after one or two years to get back into teaching. it can help you build contacts and get experience. I am doing this now and hope it pays off.