Would you take a long-term that is not what you are licensed in?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Joy, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Joy

Joy Cohort

Oct 4, 2011

I just got an email from a teacher today asking me about doing a long-term for her. I am doing another one starting sometime this month for a music teacher (my licensed area). This one is for sometime in January, February, or March. She is adopting and isn't sure when it will be exactly. This one is for 2nd grade. I know the curriculum well since I sub more often in the gen ed classroom than in music because those teachers miss more and there are more of them. I would prefer music but this is the district that I would LOVE to work in. I also know that there will be a music opening in this district next year. Will taking a long-term in an area outside of music still help me get a job? I will have one long-term music job already done by then. What do you think?

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2011

I think full-time teaching experience in general would look better than subbing for future jobs. If it were me, I would take a LTS in an area outside of my certification if it were something I was definitely comfortable teaching. For example, my regular ed elementary license is technically pre-k- 3, but I'd have no problem teaching 4th or 5th regular classroom, especially since I have many 4th/5th grade students on my caseload now. However, I wouldn't take a job in middle school or high school because I think that's just too different.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2011

I would do it if it were in an area or grade level that I thought I'd enjoy, even if I weren't super experienced there. I know how to learn, and I think I can figure it out at least as well as other long term subs (although maybe not as well as a teacher licensed in that area).

5. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Oct 4, 2011

You should take the job if you feel you could do a reasonable job.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2011

I think that you should take the job if you are willing to work to be the very best teacher that group of students can have while their teacher is on leave.

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 4, 2011

Depending on what it is...for instance, I wouldn't take High School Calculus or something way out of the realm of my ability to do a good job, but in your situation, I'd take it. Especially with the lack of music jobs out there.

8. Joy

Joy Cohort

Oct 4, 2011

I think that I can do an amazing job at it. I pretty well had all of these kids while subbing last year in first grade and I know the second grade curriculum very well. The teacher is planning to be gone around six weeks. I'm sure that I can handle it. I'm just wondering if future employers will even be interested that I did a LTS in 2nd grade since I will be applying to music jobs. The long-term music job I am getting ready to start will probably look a little better but is it worth taking something else for the experience even if it isn't what I want to end up teaching?

9. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 4, 2011

To a certain extent, teaching is teaching. And with an LTS you will show that you're reliable and dedicated, no matter waht the subject matter. With six weeks you can probably get one of those ever important letters of recommendation for your applications. There really doesn't seem to be a downside. It's not a very long time and you can go back to music jobs afterward.

10. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Oct 4, 2011

I would take the job.

11. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Oct 4, 2011

Yeah, I thought you were talking like teaching math with no expertise... in this case, you are comfortable with the curriculum/students. As said, it would look much better than just day-to-day subbing.

12. Joy

Joy Cohort

Oct 5, 2011

The teacher knows that I am licensed in something else and still wants me. This is a big district with alot of subs and retired teacher subs. She could have her pick of anyone. I must say that I do feel complimented!

Because of the other long-term that I am doing, she has another sub lined up for those months because she really has no idea when they will get their baby. If it happens right away, I might not even end up doing it. Even if that happens, I was glad to be asked.

13. Vince

Vince Rookie

Oct 11, 2011

Based on what you said they pay for long terms (175 a day starting the 6th day) HECK yes I would take it. $875 a week? For a sub???? :eek:

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2011

I wouldn't accept a LTS position in math even at the middle school level or sciences at the high school level (love science, but I couldn't do it justice). I'm sure there are other high school subjects I wouldn't be skilled enough in to teach...maybe computer drafting and things of that nature. But generally speaking, if I felt comfortable with a subject, I would accept the position even if I wasn't certified.

I think you can certainly demonstrate your skills and wow the school. :)

15. Joy

Joy Cohort

Oct 11, 2011

Actually, the $175 was for the long-term that I am doing right now. It's in music which is what I am licensed in. The other long-term is for 2nd grade. However, it pays $210 after the first 10 days at $105 and is in the same town that I live in. It actually has huge advantages over the one that I am doing right now that is 45 minutes away.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 12, 2011

I agree w/ this, but if you think youcan handle it, at least give it a try. If after 1 or 2 wks, you realize you can't, then don't continue.

17. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

Oct 21, 2011

I'm kind of in the same boat. I was offered a kinders LTS for the rest of the year. I'm certified in music. I didn't even think it was legal for me to be in the classroom that long. Has anyone ever taken an LTS outside of their area?

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2011

You should take it.

19. kikiboniki

kikiboniki Rookie

Oct 22, 2011

I vote take it. This economy is crazy and sounds like its a financially responsible. Don't sweat feeling unqualified. You will have other teachers around you who will be more than happy to help you. And the actual content is like only 20% of teaching. If you know how to discipline and can relate with 2nd graders you are gonna be fine :) just fake it till you make it :)

20. Joy

Joy Cohort

Oct 23, 2011

I actually feel like I know the content really well since this will be my third year of subbing and alot of those days have been outside of the music room.

21. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 23, 2011

I agree with everyone else - there seems to be no reason NOT to take the LTS assignment. You know the curriculum as well as the kids and it is in a district that WILL have an opening in your certified area next year.

Teaching is teaching and experience is experience. ANY experience you can get (especially long-term) at a school or district you want to get a permanent job at is worth taking.

As for me, I don't know if I would even have the option of taking an LTS outside my area of expertise. I was offered an LTS in 7th grade math (which I will FINALLY get to start tomorrow, now that my health issues are under control again), but my appointment had to be approved by the school board. So I doubt I could even take an LTS in an area like Social Studies or LA and I definitely would NOT take an LTS in elementary school because I don't have the qualifications to make sure the kids meet all the state goals at that level.

If I were given the opportunity, I think I could handle an LTS in middle school social studies or even HS history, but I would probably shy away from LA subjects and I would definitely NOT take an LTS in HS Physics or Calculus because I would not be able to do justice to those classes.

22. Anonymousteach

Anonymousteach Companion

Oct 23, 2011

Go for it!

In my district, if you're going to long term sub for someone, 1.) You must be a certified teacher and 2.) You must be certified in that area.

23. Anonymousteach

Anonymousteach Companion

Oct 23, 2011

One more thing, it sounds like a great way to get your foot in the door should that music teacher's position become available. I LOVE the school district I sub for and would jump at the chance of a long term job if they offered it to me! I would love to work in the district I sub for once I complete my teacher certification and my degree!