Would you switch to a standing-room-only classroom if you could?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2013

3. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Feb 21, 2013

Probably not. If it works for one person, great. Just don't think its for me.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2013

Interesting. I know that well over half of my students would definitely benefit from this.

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2013

I have ankle problems and I can't stand for more than 15 minutes at a time without a good amount of discomfort. In my classes now I have one girl who has had multiple surgeries on her legs and another who wears braces. I don't think it would be fair to those kids who are just unable to stand for long period of times.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2013

Surely the teacher wouldn't demand that students with medical problems stand all day.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 21, 2013

Most definitely not for me!

It looks like she had a couple of aides helping and only about 10-15 kids in her class, too.

Twenty-five 2nd graders standing up throughout a lesson would be a recipe for disaster for me.

I do, however, try to have as many transitions as possible so my kiddos aren't stuck at their desks all day. We learn on the rug, we learn at our desks, I have the kids do partner reading around the classroom, and I pull kids to work with me at the kidney table so they're not in the same place for too long. On nice days, I've been know to have the kids take their books outside and we'll do group reading under a tree.

Personally, I have soooooo much trouble sitting through all-day professional development sessions, so there's no way my 7 & 8-year-olds would be able to stay focused if they're sitting in the same spot from 8:00-2:30!

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2013

I was in a classroom a while back that, while not standing, had a very different classroom arrangement. I'd say about half of the class were in your "average" desk arrangement, and then the rest were in a mix of a really tall desk with tall chairs, and then a short table with kids sitting on cushions on the ground.

For me personally, both the idea of having all kids stand throughout school and this other arrangement I just mentioned would not feel right for me in a classroom (though for other teachers it may work extremely well!). However, it's a good reminder that even for all of the classrooms that have the "average" set-up of desks/tables and chairs, that students can benefit from the moving around throughout the day.

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2013

Right but then it would cause disruption. "Why does so-and-so get to sit?"

I think in a perfect world it would be nice, but the reality is there's too many things that would make it not possible.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2013

Never would I consider it.

It would have been horrible for me as a student and I would hate such an arrangment as an adult (not so much as a teacher, but adult in general should there be a situation for which I was expected to stand). I focus in a very particular way. If the table hit right at the middle of my boobs, that would be more doable as far as neck and back issues...but that wouldn't be great long term for my focus.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2013

I think mine would, too--at least the option to stand up when they felt like it. I'm surprised that so many folks here think that it's a bad idea. :p

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 21, 2013

Definitely not my style, thought I'm sure it may work for some. I can think of a couple of my students who would love it. I would have absolutely hated that as a student.

One of my first thoughts was about height - I have a really big height range in my classroom. So I looked back at the picture - I noticed the middle table is higher. So that means all the taller students are grouped together. I take great care in creating heterogeneous groups based on levels/personalities/behavior/proximity to me, so I would hate having that kind of restriction!

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 21, 2013

I have students who stand sometimes. I've got a podium, two bookshelves, and a file cabinet where kids stand sometimes. I wouldn't like it for all the time, though.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 21, 2013

I wouldn't like it. I'd feel like I'd have to stand all day & there are just some days I can't do that. I have tables for my kinders & I would rather have desks, so that those kids who need to move can stand at their desk. When I taught 2nd or 3rd grade I allowed my kiddos to stand to do their work. I find it harder to do when kids are at tables.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2013

I would love this, and my students would as well. We don't even blink when we need to meet wide variety of academic needs within our classrooms; how wonderful it would be to differentiate this way as well. I have a couple of friends who have transitioned to standing desks at work and rave about it.

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 21, 2013

I don't mind if students stand up while they're working providing they're not wandering around the room. I have two kids that are almost always standing, and one that will go sit at my back table during independent work time (likes to have more space). I would never force everyone to stand all day!

17. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Feb 21, 2013

I wanted to try it last year because my classroom was so small and the chairs made it super hard to have any walking pathways. I went against it though and I am glad I did. I don't think I could do it. I have seen classrooms where there are no chairs at all, but the students have various places around the place to learn and instead of having to stand, the tables are really low to the ground so that students sit on pillows instead.

I have several students who love to stand while at their desk, and I personally prefer to stand over sit. I can see it being good for a select few, but it's not for everyone.

18. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 21, 2013

I allow students to stand if they want or sit on the floor. I have a few rules for it though. They have to be engaged, they have to be clearly visible to me, and they have to follow all directions. As soon as they don't do one of those things, they lose their privilege.

I would never mandate it to a class. Sometimes I need to stand and stretch, other times I need to sit. I want them to have the same freedom for that that I do.

19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 21, 2013

I think this sounds interesting. I can certainly see the benefit of elementary school students - they have more energy, have a "wiggle" stuck in them :), standing helps them get the fidgeting and squirmishness out of them.
    But I'm not sure it would work with high school students - they're so tall!! It's better for me if I can see them, and it's easier if they're sitting.

If I was teaching elementary, I would probably try it out.

20. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 21, 2013

I don't sit down much as a teacher, but I can't imagine it for the students. They need time to sit down to write. I believe it is not best for children to stand all day, so I vote no.

21. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Feb 21, 2013

I want to try balance boards for my kids who need that extra movement. It works great for my ADHD son. He can focuS so much better

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Feb 21, 2013

I have back problems, but the only time I sit is when using my ELMO or at my small group (teacher) table. That being said, we have tons of transitions, so I never have to stand for very long. I have a student with cerebral palsy, and it would be impossible for her. If I have a student who needs to stand, I try to accommodate him/her on the "outside" of the classroom (not the "inside" sides of the table groups), that way they don't block someone else's view. I think, though, that part of the learning experience of elementary school IS learning to act like a student, including sitting when you are needed to sit.

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 21, 2013

This classroom actually has a better balance than most traditional classrooms. There are opportunities to sit and stand. Most classrooms have very limited opportunities for standing, except to mostly go from point A to point B. People are focusing on the idea that the students never sit but if you read it, they do spend a portion of their day sitting on the floor for a lesson. The idea of sitting on the floor for a lesson is not a new one for early childhood educators. As for a certain student being able to sit due to medical conditions--other students tend to have more empathy for this than a lot of adults do. I do not see this as an issue. Most students in the younger ages would probably enjoy this mix. I can see reserving a table on the floor for those who need a break.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2013

I just don't understand not having a more balanced approach if we're wanting to really meet everyone's needs. There is no opportunity to sit in a chair...

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 22, 2013

Little kids are just as comfortable sitting on the floor as they are a chair. Many would lay on the floor while they work, just for a change. The people that usually complain about having to sit on the floor are the adults. This is first grade. There is nothing inherently magical about a chair other than it being a tool to sit on.

26. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 22, 2013

Here's one (of many) issues I have with the standing-room-only classroom:

Two of our 2nd grade teachers have teeny tiny classrooms (no room for a carpet area whatsoever). Unfortunately, their students sit at their desks all day/everyday due to lack of space.

What happens to kids (who come from a 1st grade classroom where they stand for a majority of the day) when they enter a classroom where they're forced to sit for 7 hours each day? Wouldn't the transition be less than smooth?

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 22, 2013

The transition is about the only argument I see here but I have always felt that we often expect mini college drones far too early.

They don't stand for 7 hours. They do sit. Just not in a chair. I'm assuming lunch and specials offer opportunities to sit in a chair. I'm used to dining in a chair, but here I am living in a culture that sits on the floor for dining. It's social construct. There is nothing wrong with it, but there is nothing magical either. I see this classroom as being more balanced overall than some I know.

28. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 22, 2013

I disagree with 2nd graders being forced to sit all day just because there is no space.

29. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 22, 2013

Even in elementary school, I hated sitting on the floor. I liked having something behind me. It made me feel safer.

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2013

Oh my gosh! Same here! I thought a unique weirdo. A chair also helped me define my personal space which was important.

I still "stand" firm on my belief that a teacher can offer a variety of options for students, including breaks and transitions, which is more more ideal than offering only one or two options.

31. gebakat

gebakat Rookie

Feb 22, 2013

I have my kids sit on ball chairs. Great for building core muscles. Really helps my kiddos who have lots of energy although there are some days when it looks like whack a mole in my room.:lol:

32. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2013

I allow my students the option to stand when they want. I would never get rid of the chairs though as many students want to sit down when they work...

33. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2013

I would do this tomorrow but my single lift-top desks would fall over.

34. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 23, 2013

I still think the best option is to have options. I know my high schoolers get stiff sitting all day but I also know most want to sit when they work. I mostly see them stand when taking notes.

35. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 23, 2013

What I find with children is that they don't want to stand as much as they want to move. In religion, we have lots of all school times the students have to stand, and most can't wait to sit down. If I have an activity where they get to walk around the room, they enjoy that much more than sitting or standing in one place.