Would you still teach if you inherited millions?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Hoot Owl, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 13, 2008

I think I would, but only 2 or 3 days a week, and I'd have someone grade my papers, record them, and write lesson plans... oh yes, they'd definitely do my duty, too.

After I adjusted to being rich (finish traveling the world), I might tire of traveling and occasionally do read alouds for the kids.

I do still love what I do so much, it's hard to imagine not being a teacher.

3. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Oct 13, 2008

Considering my current situation... I would quit. To fill my time I would volunteer, and work with kids.

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

Oct 13, 2008

Even though I thoroughly enjoy teaching I would stop and pursue my dream...opening a tea room. I love to cook, especially desserts, soups, quiches, and specialty sandwiches.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2008

I would probably continue to teach, if not, then I would volunteer.

6. mrs.teacher5

mrs.teacher5 Companion

Oct 13, 2008

A teacher in my district did win a million and was advised (by union) to quit because people see dollar signs and get sue happy. He ended up leaving. I think I would probably leave as well.

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2008

We have a former teacher, from another state, move to our area after winning lots. She comes every Tuesday and sits in the teacher's lounge with any odds and ends work we want to give her...cutting, copying, grading, typing, etc. I appreciate her soooo much that I have vowed to do the same. :wub:

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 13, 2008

I think it depends on when you ask me. If I'm having a good week, I'll probably tell you I'd keep teaching. If I'm having a bad week, I'll tell you I'd quit! ;)

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 13, 2008

Honestly, no. I'd be too busy...

...travelling the world
    ...playing the piano again
    ...splitting up my time between my 2 homes
    ...enjoying drives in my new cars
    ...donating to my church & charities
    ...taking fun classes, such as gourmet cooking, golf, yoga, painting, pottery/ceramics, etc.
    ...spending time w/ my dog
    ...shopping
    ...maybe I'll own a restaurant or start a clothing line
    ...probably write a series of childrens' books
    ...make time to volunteer

Doing things that make me completely happy all the time!

Sky's the limit! :)

10. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2008

No! I would be to busy traveling.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 13, 2008

I would spend my time traveling and doing volunteer work (which would probably include working with teachers and students somehow).

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 13, 2008

I will either remain teaching or volunteer.

13. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 13, 2008

I would volunteer to work with struggling students and new teachers in between enjoying my off time for a few years. After that, I would probably get bored and go back to teaching.

14. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Oct 13, 2008

Millions?
    I'd go back to Preschool in a heartbeat. :D

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2008

If I won a million dollars, I would definitely quit and travel (I want to go all around Europe, New Zealand, Australia, and visit all 50 states). Eventually, I would volunteer in a school. I do like working with kids and I know I would be a great helper!!!! :)

16. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2008

I'd do this, but the P would want me to substitute whenever someone had to go home.

So I'd quit and buy a house on the ocean, another on a lake, and a third in the mountains. Small houses are fine as long as a maid and a chef came every day. All right....every other day.

I'd be on here a lot.

17. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 13, 2008

Since I'm "vested" I would retire from the public system but keep my insurance since it is cheap. Then I'd go open my own private preschool and if a parent gave me any problems, I'd send them on their merry way since I wouldn't have to put up with their mess because I wouldn't be a public program. :) LOL I would have any thing my classroom would need. Books, toys, supplies, you name it.

18. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 13, 2008

That's so horrible.

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 13, 2008

I've always said that if I ever won the lottery I'd be a professional student. I'd go to the local university and take 2 classes a term for the rest of my life.

I do love my kids though, so I'd probaby volunteer one or two days a week.

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2008

I would never work for anyone ever again. I would love to pay off all of my families debts and take care of all of us to the end of my days.

21. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 13, 2008

I would be a volunteer. Really I am ready to be a lady of lesiure and I am only 28

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 13, 2008

I keep telling my dad he screwed up big time in raising me. I'm wayyyyyyyyyyy to ready to not have to work. I grew up watching my mom shop her way through life (okay, she did lots of other stuff too...she was a great mom and takes in foster kids...really tough case fosters at that), but she never worked a paying job in her whole adult life.

23. Luv2Learn

Luv2Learn Companion

Oct 13, 2008

Since my dream is to live in Manhattan, NY...I'd still have to work! I might be able to buy my dream townhouse, but I'd have to work to pay the upkeep (LOL!)

24. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2008

I taught for 34 years (all in Middle school) so I would leave my keys on my desk...................

SO I'd go fishing
    And RVing and spoil my granddaughter!

25. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 14, 2008

Considering my current enthusiasm, I would quit.

26. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Oct 14, 2008

Since my school is undergoing 'restructuring' and I will have to be re-interviewed to keep my job (after 32 years), I'd QUIT and come back to voluteer on my terms. Oh yeah, and travel during the fall!

27. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 14, 2008

I have thought a lot about this very topic. I agree with Wildflowers-there is no way I would work for someone else again. Plenty of teachers need my job, and need to be paid for it.

I would set up a fund to benefit my school though. But I would want to have a say where the money goes. I don't want the football team getting new jerseys every year without my knowing!

Would I volunteer? Maybe. I would still want to coach though.

As for my relatives, I would definitely not pay off any debts without some kind of payback! Does that sound mean? Maybe for my sister, but my other deadbeat sister, I have always thought she would have to prove she could get and hold a job for a year before I would support her financially. I would keep her above water, and make her work for it!

28. Live4Learning

Live4Learning Rookie

Oct 14, 2008

Ohhh, a million dollars!!! I haven't gotten my teaching license yet, but I would definitely put off my career aspirations until my children were school-aged. I have a 16 month old now and hubby and I plan to have at least 1 more. The way we spend money and after we pay off all of our debts, I'd probably have to go back to work when both of my children are in school. No gripes!

Oh! I would definitely travel, travel, travel and buy a nice new home with a huge front porch for my rocking chair.

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 14, 2008

Yes until I started my own family. than I would stay home with my children.

30. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2008

Yes you are mean ...... not
    I agree with you a 110%

31. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 14, 2008

I'm not sure. I love teaching, but I think I'd rather be working in a school library. I think I'd get my masters in library science and become a part-time school librarian. I enjoy the kids, but grading, planning, conferencing, and all the "wonderful" meetings do get in the way. I would also become something of a globe trotter.

32. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 14, 2008

Nope. I would probably do something involving children, but I would be self supporting. And I would love love love to set up charitable foundations that would benefit children, and oversee them myself.

If I have to work, teaching is what I love to do. But it is exhausting, physically and emotionally.

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 14, 2008

I forgot to mention in my other post that I'd finish up what I'm in school for currently, but then...I'd probably stay in school & slowly work on another grad degree, maybe a Ph.D. in something that always interested me...anthropology!

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2008

Well, first I would pay off my mortgage, that of those I love, and all my recent medical bills. I would stash enough for college educations for my kids and my nieces and nephews.

Then I would seriously travel for a year or two.'

But then I would come back to teaching.

I just wouldn't have to come home to cooking and cleaning. The teaching is the easy part of the day.

35. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2008

I think I would go for a Doctorate of Theology and become a Interim minister for churches who need a Minster while they are looking for a new minister.

I figure I'd wouldn't there longer than a year so I wouldn't need more that 52 sermons I could recycle them, Hey I am being green. this last part was supposed to be funny

36. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2008

Could you explain the 'restructuring' I don't want to :hijack: but I'd like to know

37. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 14, 2008

Really Dave?? Any particular church? Just curious. I think it is a grand idea!

38. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2008

Presbyterian
    if I move to NC I will try to see if I can take classes in Richmond VA or Charlotte NC

I was Raised Presbyterian,
    I have attended:
    Catholic,
    Assembly of God,
    Methodist,
    Non denominational

39. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Oct 14, 2008

a million

I have always wanted to open a little school teacher shop. That way I could still get to do the fun decorating and seeing all the new things for teaching. I would also have a little sitting area for teachers to sit and have a cup of tea or coffee while shopping.
    Teachers deserve a few peaceful minutes to relax. I would make the sitting area really cozy. :D

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2008

I've got to tell you, my family has come through for me BIG TIME in the last month.

After my surgery, they watched my kids, cleaned my house, did my laundry, made us dinner, checked in on me on a daily basis-- you name it. They drove an hour for my father in law's wake, chipped in for flowers, then drove out again the next day for the funeral. They've lent me clothes they thought might help me, and bought me clothes to make me more comfortable.

I would give them the clothes off my back-- it would just be returning the favor.

41. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2008

My husband was just saying the same thing yesterday (after he heard me complaining for the 1000th time about teacher stores). I would have things open for teachers to look through, and I would have a ton of great sales and workshops :) He even has a cool name picked out. He would want to have tons of puppets though :| Not my cup of tea lol!