Would You Still Do The PD?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Jun 1, 2013.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

My dilemma is, every year I try to present something at our pre-service week-both because it's the only way to get full credit for that standard on our evaluation and also because the more I do it the less anxious I get doing it which I think is good for me.

3. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2013

I would still do it. Don't let her stop you from doing what you want.
    I've never been in this horrible situation. Would you consider standing up to her-not in a nice way, because that clearly doesn't work. I would also tell my principal what they have coming in and let them know I will not be tolerating it this time around.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2013

You've already established your reputation at your current school. Don't back down. Do your thing and shine!

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 1, 2013

Do it!

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

I think you should do it. Establish a tone that you are confident and respected at your school to show her you won't be bullied again.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I actually hadn't thought about it as setting myself up for more of the same.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2013

I would do it as well. Hopefully, some of her 'posse' will be there and can see you in action. Then she will look ridiculous when she puts you down ;)

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 1, 2013

I agree with the others, do it. Let her see that she's now coming into your territory and you aren't the same person she bullied before. By the way,I started presenting at conferences to get over my shyness and now I'm addicted, I love presenting! :)

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2013

Do it!

But let me say that I actually completely understanding you reconsidering. I would as well.

I had another B word in mind for this person besides bully...seems outright horrible. But I get the impression from all of your posts that you're a terrific, dedicated, smart teacher. Rub it in. ;)

11. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jun 1, 2013

What I don't understand is how an adult, in a professional setting, could act the way she has.

I have worked with people I didn't like. And I know I have worked with people who really didn't like me. Even still, things like that didn't happen.

Do the PD. Keep your head high. Shut her nonsense down at the first instance.

12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

You have to change YOUR attitude about this. You are the one that is letting her bully you. It is 100% your choice.

Now, I recognize that she is the one being a witch here. A major one at that. But the feelings you feel are yours and yours alone. She is a ridiculous, pathetic human being. Learn to roll your eyes inwardly and/or feel sorry for her. If she says something to you privately, call her out, but do so professionally. Say something like "I am not sure why you are acting so immature but I would appreciate it if you stop." Then anytime she starts up you can say "You're being immature again." That can be your mantra. How is she going to mock you saying that? lol

Thankfully your P is aware of her antics. I would approach him/her and say that one of the main reasons why you put in for a transfer was due to the hostile work environment. Let him/her know that you expect support in this matter. You might have to make a formal complaint with HR. Hopefully once she realizes you will no longer play victim she will stop.

Good luck!

13. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 1, 2013

I agree with this. And I'm sorry you've had to deal with this. Sounds like she's jealous of you for some reason.

I worked under someone like that once (different profession) and it made me depressed. So, my DH got me this book and it said that the way people treat you is completely a reflection of them - their morals, values, beliefs, etc. - and not a reflection of you. That helped me a lot. :)

14. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

I disagree with the jealous bit. I don't see any evidence of jealousy. Just hatefulness. We don't say that men are jealous of other men when they are buttwipes to each other.

15. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 1, 2013

I just lived this! Ms. Nightmare Teacher at my school is...well...still a Nightmare. She did all the same things you mentioned, plus more. I decided to still give my staff PD though because nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. :) She talked the whole time and very disruptively shuffled her things around 5 minutes before I was done. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, many other colleagues thanked me for the PD, so I decided she just sucks. :dunno:

Go do your thing...I would love a PD from you!

16. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 1, 2013

Agree... do your thing. She's on your turf now.

17. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2013

I think you have to still do it. Especially since you already said you'd do it, wouldn't your admin be curious as to why you're backing out? You don't want to hurt your reputation/evaluation status because of someone.

Do a lot of people at your new school already know her? Hopefully if she tries to say anything about you people will look at it as, "who are you to come in here and have something to say about her when you're brand new." Also, she might not be such a bully when she has to be the new kid on the playground.

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 1, 2013

Your positions are now reversed in this school. You're the well-respected veteran, and she's the new transfer teacher. If she comes in with the old mind set, make sure you don't revive yours. You're a strong lady!

19. muinteoir

muinteoir Companion

Jun 1, 2013

I agree with the others. Present the PD with your head high and knock 'em dead!
    I would not go to your principal about her. She's done nothing in your new school (yet, and hopefully she won't) and I'm afraid it would look kind of whiney or like tattling or something if you do.

*If* she does even one thing to you, stop her in her tracks.

Immediately.

Don't begin with "I know you don't respect me..."

Just don't. That is not relevant.

Tell her politely and professionally (and with a witness if possible) that you are a professional educator and a colleague and that you will not be spoken to or treated in any manner that is less than professional from her. Period.

Smile and move on. Do not give her a chance to defend, deny or deflect.

Document the conversation and what led up to it.

Your confidence and strength could put an end to it her garbage.

If she does something again, repeat your statement, this time make sure you have a witness, and add that if this conversation becomes necessary for a third time, it will occur in the office of Human Resources.

Document again.

She created a hostile workplace for you before, don't let it happen again.

Trust me, using the phrase "hostile workplace" will get attention.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  20. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2013

:yeahthat:

21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

I think you should do it. And you should completely ignore this teacher.
    Remember, she can only bully you if you allow it. She is the new one coming into your school, to your turf, you should be confident and not let her shake your self esteem.

22. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 2, 2013

If your nemesis pipes up inappropriately as a newcomer in an environment where you are established and respected, she will look really, really bad. It would almost be a good thing for this to happen, so everyone can see who she really is.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 2, 2013

Oh no, several yrs later & now you'll have to see her mug again! How old is she? Any chance she'll retire anytime soon?

I actually agree with Rhesus, but for your sake, I wouldn't want you to be treated this way by this b---- ever again.

Sure, still do your presentation. Also, show her in subtle, nonverbal ways that you have a MUCH stronger, take no prisoners (with her anyway) attitude, & that you're not going to put up with any of her BS anymore! Hopefully, she's changed, but many people can be 80 yrs old & still never change, unfortunately. Remember to document ANYTHING she starts doing from day 1.

Will you both be teaching the same grade? Try to totally ignore her if you can. When you pass each other in the hall, don't even look at her. Have strong body posture & keep walking!

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2013

I'd definitely feel like you, but I agree with the others that you should do the pd! Don't let her win. :)

25. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jun 2, 2013

I would be very nervous to do it, because I hate being bullied in these kind of situations. I think I would still try to do it though. She's in your territory now, and I imagine that you have quite the posse that you can count on to support you. I would try not to focus on her during the presentation. Find a few colleagues in the audience that you really respect and appreciate and focus on them for confidence. Good luck! It is ridiculous anyone would think this is an okay way to behave as an adult.