Would you still accept

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by RobertTexasMath, Apr 30, 2013.

1. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Apr 30, 2013

If you verbually accepted a position with a school but the board of trustees still did not meet and approve a contract for you, would you still accept interviews from other schools you considered better?

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 30, 2013

Yes, too many teachers have had a verbal agreement and then something happens - the board puts in a RIFed teacher or eliminates a position. Until both of you have signed, it is not official.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2013

This.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2013

Yeah I think it is ok to do it...I've done it in the past myself. Once you sign a contract though, I wouldn't.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2013

Apply, apply, apply, interview, interview, interview until the ink is on a contract!

7. ayla

ayla Companion

May 1, 2013

Yes I still took interviews until I had the contract in hand.

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 1, 2013

I'm not contradicting this advice. I agree that you should continue to look until you've signed a contract.

However, (and I hope I'm not hijacking here), I've seen posts here so many times how "My word is my bond" or statements along those lines and how dishonorable it is to verbally accept a position and then possibly back out if a better one comes along.

What if the OP continues to interview and a better position comes along?

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 1, 2013

99% of the time this is said, it is referring to someone breaking a newly signed contract.

10. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 1, 2013

A couple of years ago, I verbally accepted a position and just before I was going to sign my contract, another position was offered to me that I wanted much more due to the much shorter commute. I took it and backed out of the first one as I had not yet signed my contract. I remember at the time that someone else had posted about being presented with a similar opportunity but refused because it was morally wrong to go back on your word. (I'm paraphrasing.) Many people backed that person up. I remember feeling really guilty reading that whole thread, given the situation I was in. This is what I was referring to.

Anyway - to the OP - I still think you need to look out for yourself, definitely.

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 1, 2013

So what would you do if someone else offers you a job after you've already accepted another one? Would you say yes to both and see who brings you a contract first? Around here most board meetings are monthly, so you could end up waiting up to 4 weeks just for the board to approve you. As far as contracts, I got mine about 3 months after I was hired in my current district (hired in the spring, contract came late summer) and in my first job I got a contract during my first week there teaching.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2013

This.

13. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

May 1, 2013

I think this is an understandable feeling, but I also think you really need to look out for yourself, too. I don't think anyone would fault you for this, unless the contract was already signed.