Would you send your own children to your school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AmyMyNamey, May 4, 2017.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 11, 2017

My kids would be so BORED with the classes they would be in. Where I work, there are not enough resources for anything besides athletics or band. A few clubs but nothing like a math or science or chess club. There used to be those but they got axed as budgets became tight. It's to the point where students earn service hours for coming in on weekends to sweep and mop floors.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  2. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

May 11, 2017

Absolutely! I'v had my kids in my school since kindergarten. The older one has moved on to middle school and the younger one will be with me for one more year. I've really enjoyed being able to see them throughout out the day and watching how they've matured as students. I have many coworker who have also had their kids there and many who choose either the neighborhood school an optional school, or private.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Feb 27, 2019

In an alternate universe where I am the emotional polar opposite of myself and actually want children, then, yes, I would because the private school where I work is one of the best schools out there. And I would get to teach them math eventually, haha!

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2019

I don't have kids, but if I did, I would not. (Not because I don't want to be at the school as them, but because I don't think my school provides the best education.)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    SpecialPreskoo and nstructor like this.
  5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 27, 2019

If I weren't teaching there, then yes, definitely. I think parents and children shouldn't be constantly in each other's environment.

nstructor likes this.
  6. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Feb 27, 2019

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell no!

7. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2019

I would and did. All four my kids went to the school I taught at. I was their PE teacher for six years and my first two had me as their computer lab teacher and at times reading teacher. I loved teaching my kids.

8. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 2, 2019

If I had children... no, I don’t think I would. Not because I don’t like or trust my school, but because a) we’ve had teachers’ kids at my school before and it’s been a mess, I don’t want to be that person, and b) my school is super over crowded. We could provide a really great education for kids if there weren’t almost 300 more students than the building is designed to hold. It’s not fair to kids or teachers and I wouldn’t want to add to that.

If my school were smaller maybe, but I think I’d still rather not be the Teacher Mom who is always there. Kids need some independence.

9. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Mar 2, 2019

Yes, I would. Our school is awesome! (.... but expensive. I think faculty only get a 10% tuition break)

10. futuremathsprof

Mar 3, 2019

Oof. It’s 50% at my school!

11. futuremathsprof

Mar 3, 2019

Pisces and nstructor like this.
  12. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Mar 3, 2019

I don't have kids (yet?) But I would consider sending them to the school where I work, if we could afford it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  13. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Mar 3, 2019

Ms. Irene, why would you think administrators don't get any pressure or aren't evaluated? In Canada, administrators get evaluated the same way teachers do by the Superintendent. I would assume American Principals get evaluated too?

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 4, 2019

I would have no issue sending my child to my school. It is very rare for teachers who live in my community to send their children to another district.

DSS attended DH's school, and he even had DH for a teacher. (DH was the only algebra teacher.)

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 4, 2019

You mean people be held accountable for their actions and not blame others for everything??? Hmmmm....:dizzy:

Pisces and futuremathsprof like this.
  16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 4, 2019

In the public schools I have worked in they did not allow students to be in their parents' classrooms. These are large districts so I'm thinking it wasn't hard to make sure they were in different classes.
    I worked with a woman who taught in a small Catholic school and she was the only ELA teacher so she ended up quitting when her daughter got to 7th grade because she was not allowed to be her child's teacher.

17. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Mar 6, 2019

I already do. Love having my daughter in the same school. Though I don't want to have her when she gets to my grade.

stephenpe and futuremathsprof like this.
  18. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Mar 10, 2019

When I first started teaching at my current school five years ago, absolutely. DS was one of the main reasons why I wanted a job where I’m at now. They don’t take many transfers. Now? Nope. I’m trying to get a job in a neighboring district to get us both out of here.