Would You Retire If Eligible?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by liromedu, May 7, 2020.

1. liromedu

liromedu New Member

May 7, 2020

just curious, if you are eligible - or even not - are any of you considering retirement in this new world of Covid?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 7, 2020

DH and I were just talking about this. He was planning on staying until May 2024. I was planning on staying until December of 2025. That would allow us to maximize our retirement.

However, he could retire May 2021, and I could retire in October 2021. We are thinking about it. We need to run some numbers.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 8, 2020

Not retiring, but finding a job that will allow me to work remotely, or at least to not have to see hundreds of people everyday at work.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 8, 2020

I can retire with full pension at the end of the 21-22 school year; I could go with a reduced pension right now. I continue to look at the numbers, but wouldn't feel financially comfortable to retire early. I am nervous, though, about what a return to school will look like, so may end up changing my mind on this.

6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

May 8, 2020

As soon as I have multiple millions (at least $5 million in the bank and elsewhere), then I am retiring. The goal is to retire no later than 55 and no sooner than 45.

7. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

May 8, 2020

I have played with the numbers a bit. I don't actually want to retire, but I turned 60 this year, and want to stay healthy. Also, I kind of hate remote teaching, so while I don't think we will be doing this for years, the longer it lasts, the more appealing retirement looks.

readingrules12, mrsf70, MrsC and 2 others like this.
  8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

May 8, 2020

I am throwing my towel in this year! I had already made up my mind though.

mrsf70 and futuremathsprof like this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 8, 2020

I'm actually in a fairly good position to retire: 58 years old, 26 years of teaching, no kids = big 403b, tons of sick days, low mortgage (by Bay Area standards, at least), and a spouse who is 10 years younger and makes way more money. Also, I start collecting a military pension when I turn 60.

However, I my wife has informed me that I am not yet old enough to stay home by myself, and that she refuses to pay someone to watch me. Therefore, she says I would have to find a place to go every day. And I think by that, she means some sort of job.

creativemonster, mrsf70, MrsC and 2 others like this.
  10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 12, 2020

LOL and your'e too young to go to the senior center to hang out so they can babysit you!

11. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 13, 2020

That's what I did. I thought I would have to work until I was 65 (2022) but got some advice (in the UK we can get this free through our unions) and found that I could afford to go at age 59 (in 2016). I still do a bit of subbing but that is to pay for vacations. All our living expenses are covered by our pensions.

12. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 13, 2020

Go for it. Do some travelling while you are still young/healthy enough to enjoy it. You can always do a bit of subbing if you miss the classroom.

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 13, 2020

Tired Teacher, I didn't realize you were retiring or leaving education. I have enjoyed reading your posts, and I wish you the very best.

14. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

May 13, 2020

Thank you so much! I will have more free time on the computer, so plan on staying on A-Z.
    I have put my 30 yrs in and am done. :) I will miss the kids, a couple of friends, but that is about it. It is time to pass the torch! :) Hopefully, I'll make someone happy who needs a job! :)

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 14, 2020

That's a good way think of it! Are you staying in Alaska? I know someone who lives in Fairbanks and as soon as her husband retires they will move somewhere warmer!

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 14, 2020

I'm 5 years older than my husband so I worked until he reached his official age (59), then we retired together. I could have kept on working, missed the kids and all, but this was the best decision we could have made. Not only do we not have to worry about staying home/going back to work, but we are not suffering financially. I truly feel bad for my younger friends who are dealing with the uncertainty that life brings today.

MrsC likes this.
  17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 14, 2020

If I was going to retire anyway, sure. I'm not letting circumstances dictate my decisions (unless medically I was unable to work).

18. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

May 14, 2020

I have spent a lot of time in Hawaii and love it there, but I can't see moving there. It is too expensive to live full time. There are other things that make it a desirable winter spot, but I wouldn't want to live there. I love Alaskan summers too much to miss them. Plus, I love the peacefulness of the place I live. I might pick 1 month per winter to stay there like January. Oh, if I lived in Fairbanks, I'd be out asap. It's cold here, but Fairbanks is freezing in the winter! I only went to Fairbanks 1x in the winter in my life! It's beautiful in the summer!