Would you request a phone interview if you lived 2+ hours away?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by massteacher, Jun 4, 2013.

1. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Jun 4, 2013

Hi all,

I live 2+ hours away from a school that I said I would interview at Thursday. Due to being on maternity leave at the beginning of the year, I don't have anymore personal days left. When they called it was a rushed phone call with the secretary who called on behalf of the principal and asked for me to come in on Thursday for a 20 minute interview. Would it be bad if I emailed the principal or called the secretary to see if I could do a skype/phone interview so I don't have to take a full day off of work? What would you do? Suck it up and go, or request a phone interview? I don't want to annoy the principal.

Thanks!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2013

I've driven 11 hours each way for an interview about 5 times now. Suck it up and go.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2013

I would go.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 4, 2013

I would go, I would always prefer face to face versus voice only. I've driven to an interview 9 hours away and for one almost 6 hours away. 2 hours seems like nothing compared to those, to me at least.

6. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Jun 4, 2013

Alright. Thanks!

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2013

I don't think it's bad to request a phone or Skype interview.

8. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jun 4, 2013

I've driven 4+ hours for an interview. I'd go.

9. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Jun 4, 2013

I have driven several times over 3 hours each way dropping a 100 bucks in gas each time. But now I am asking for phone or skype interviews instead if I can due to the cost involved.

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jun 5, 2013

It depends if I really wanted the job or not.

11. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 5, 2013

I don't think it's a bad idea to request a phone interview, but I feel more at ease when I see the people I'm interviewing with. I would opt to go.

12. deliakid

deliakid Rookie

Jun 5, 2013

I just accepted a job that I did a Skype interview. The principal said this was her 2nd time offering jobs via Skype.

13. redtop

redtop Companion

Jun 5, 2013

My wife had a number of phone/Skype interviews, but these were all "preliminary" interviews. Every one, however, led to her being considered for in-person interviews. Because of the distance (an international flight) she did not accept any in-person interviews unless she felt it very likely she'd get the job and that she would take it, so she turned down several.

I don't think you prejudice your chances by asking that an initial interview at least be on Skype. If you get past that, they'll know you're serious.

14. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

I would go.

15. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 5, 2013

I'd just go, if you can. I drove what amounted to an hour out of my way this morning (ah, NY suburb morning traffic) to drop off my resume in person at a district who just posted an opening. Two hours for a job interview is do-able, just inconvenient. I know that we live in a world where technology is becoming more and more prevalent, however, I think you would probably be considered a more favorable candidate if they met you face to face.

Now, if you're in Redtop's wife's situation, that's a bit of a different circumstance. Two hours, though, IMHO is worth driving.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2013

Schools are ALWAYS serious about hiring...some candidates, however, aren't a 'fit' for whatever reason, but trust me, schools don't ave time to interview candidates fr entertainment purposes.

Why was 'your wife' applying for jobs she had no interest in?

17. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

I don't think its very common around my area to do skype/phone interviews. I drove about 4 hours to the job I accepted(one way). I actually just got back from driving down there because I had to pick up my room keys and get my badge. (felt really good!) I think I found an apartment this time(was having a hard time with this) and its all coming together.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2013

I have a phone interview next week. It is 11 hours away. I am required to work the 10th and they are interviewing the 11th. I could be there the 12th, but they are only interviewing one day. They agreed to a phone interview. They were very understanding. It is their first phone interview ever!

However, if it were within 6 hours, I would be there in person!

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2013

I think it is fine to request one but be willing to go too in case they say no. That will also show your willingness to go the extra mile (no pun intended...lol).