Would you really do it all again?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by belovedrebel, Oct 10, 2005.

1. belovedrebel

belovedrebel Rookie

Oct 10, 2005

I am a recent college graduate in her 30's who took the long way to her BA, stopping along the way for marriage and parent care. I am registered to begin my M.Ed. in Elementary Ed on Friday, and as much as I want to do this, I am getting the jitters. It didn't help that I just read the "No Child Left Behind" archived thread just now. I know that even though I have a lot to learn, I also have a lot to contribute, and I want to teach. I am not afraid of hard work, and certainly more committed to being satisfied in my work than committed to making as much money as possible.

And yet, I am terrified. I can't exactly say why. My biggest fear is to be stuck in a situation where my principal is hostile, where I have to teach the curriculum as written whether or not it is helping my students, and where I don't have mentoring or support of any kind.

So, my question is: Would you do it over again? Is it worth the time and money of a graduate degree? I guess I just need a little reassurance that I am doing the right thing.

Thanks in advance. I promise not all of my posts will have a whiny tone!

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 10, 2005

Unlike a lot of my friends I love what I do. Yes it can be hard work and this year I am at a new school and I am getting used to a new curriculum.

My school is very supportive and all of the teachers have been helping me greatly. I actually turned down a job when I first started teaching b.c I didn't think the school and the principal were a good match for me. I went and taught at a school for 4 years and while I taught during the day I took classes at night to get my masters. I am at public school now where I am really happy. I use the curriculum but I am so free to incorporate other things too.

I think you will be fine but you need to find a school that is a good match for you.

4. Krystalmyr

Krystalmyr New Member

Oct 10, 2005

Yes, yes, yes. But I say this knowing I was born to teach. Be sure that putting up with things is a choice you will make (you will learn what battles are worth it), that salary is not an issue, that you cannot/will not reach everyone. Be glad you are getting your Masters Degree, a bachelors education does not prepare you for the real classroom. Get as much experience in the classroom as you can. Be a life long learner and research quality methods. Read The First Days of School by Harry Wong before you teach. Ask questions when you interview to be sure it is the place you want to be (ie - "Do you have a mentoring program or new teacher training? What is it like?").

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2005

YOU SAID:
    And yet, I am terrified. I can't exactly say why. My biggest fear is to be stuck in a situation where my principal is hostile, where I have to teach the curriculum as written whether or not it is helping my students, and where I don't have mentoring or support of any kind.

Where did you get the impression that this is a typical situtation for teachers? Sure some people work under those conditions but great school systems are on the look out all the time for hard-working, dedicated, enthusiastic professionals. Great jobs are out there. You may have to pay your dues for a year or two in a situation that's not your ideal dream job- suck it up. Stay enthusiastic-don't lose the desire before you even get out there- that won't help you at all.

6. belovedrebel

belovedrebel Rookie

Oct 10, 2005

I know that is not a typical situation...just my worst fear.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 10, 2005

I think a situation like the one that you are afraid of is probably very rare. It is possible to end up in a situation like that, but like czacza said, you may have to pay your dues for a while, but once you have some experience under you belt it will probably be easier to find other jobs anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you know that teaching is what you want to do then just go for your M.ed. and deal with the other stuff as it comes! :)

p.s....welcome to the site!!