Would You Rather...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by miss-m, Aug 3, 2016.

?

Would you rather....

1. Start from scratch with your room

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Inherit the last teacher's stuff

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Aug 3, 2016

I would much rather prefer to inherit loads of stuff than have nothing. That's how I got through my first three years of teacher. I did buy a lot as well, but I had a lot of leftovers that helped me and my bank account!The teacher who I took over for left me mostly everything. Thank goodness for her.

2. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Aug 3, 2016

The classroom I first inherited was full of stuff since the previous teacher was retiring after being there for over 30 years. It was frustrating having to sort through everything but it was such a treasure trove of stuff that I spent very little money getting my room set up. I just got into my classroom at my new school and it is pretty empty. I like that I get to make it entirely my own but after the cost of moving I can't afford to build a classroom library so that part will be pretty bare until September.

3. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Aug 3, 2016

With my past experiences, I'd prefer a bare room. I've also been teaching for a while now so I have a good supply of my own stuff. When I have gotten a room that has stuff, it's been a room where the teacher is moving to a new teaching position, so they take all of their good stuff (which they should), but they leave the useless stuff instead of throwing it out. They also wait until the last minute so a) I have to wait to get my stuff in (which means someone else is waiting to get into my old room) and b) I have very little time to get their stuff out so I can get my stuff in.

I don't like a lot of stuff (moving classrooms basically every year will do that to ya), so at this point I like to start with a bare room. I honestly don't think I've every used anything that was left by a teacher, except for the school/district owned things. When I leave classrooms, I leave only what is owned by the school/district and, sometimes, a small supply of supplies I have A LOT of, such as tissues, paper, and pencils. It's always piled neatly on a shelf so it's easy to get rid of if the new teacher doesn't want it.

4. mr.monmon

mr.monmon New Member

Aug 12, 2016

When I got my room the teacher before me had been in there for 5 years and didnt throw ANYTHING out from the teacher before him, who had been there for 32 years. 3 years later I'm still getting rid of stuff am finding more junk every day. Needless to say, I'd love a blank slate.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 13, 2016

Hmm...it depends. Is the room a former packrat's domain? I'd never want to inherit that space unless they took all their stuff.

I have been the rookie teacher who walked into an empty room, and I have moved into rooms with some materials stashed from previous curriculums and/or teachers. The former is nice because I can get what I need and not have to sort through tons of stuff, but it was costly. Coming into my present situation the back closet was fairly full of books and stuff that seemed pretty random. I haven't touched most of if, but I can't get rid of it either. I am more of a pitcher than a hoarder so this bugs me.

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 13, 2016

Every year I dream of getting a room where everything is completely clean and blank.

Every year I seem to inherit a sh** show that takes me weeks to organize.

I've got plenty of stuff. I genuinely don't need anybody else's! :D

teacherintexas likes this.
  7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 14, 2016

I inherited a room that, other than four shelves of books, was pretty empty this year which was great because I have a lot of my own stuff, but best of all, the room was clean! I didn't feel nasty after hooking up the computer because there was ten years of gunk on the wires.

I've also inherited the retired teacher's room who just took her purse and left me the past twenty years of teacher mugs and plaques with her name on it.

I would much rather have the empty room!