Would you rather teach or do a movie/study hall?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Caesar753, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2008

I'm curious about what you substitutes prefer when you're subbing in high school classrooms. Would you rather actively teach a lesson, or do something more hands-off like a video or a study hall sort of thing?

I tend to leave videos for my subs because I teach an unusual subject which most people don't know and can't wing their way through. I'm sure it's boring for a sub to watch the same video three or four times per day, but I also wouldn't want to scare a sub into never returning to my classroom because they had to try to speak Latin. :haha:

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 7, 2008

My kids usually just work on classwork, watch a video, study/prepare for tests/quizzes, group work, and/or activites. I just cut out of the teaching of the lesson if you know what I mean and give them more reinforcement of previously taught concepts, I try to make it pretty easy so questions ar elimited.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2008

Cassie, in your case, I would be more comfortable with a video. :p

I've never subbed in the HS setting, but I think it would depend on the subject of what I would feel more comfortable with. And since a teacher can't plan for that, then I think a video/study hall plan would work better. I've subbed in middle school, and I've only had one video day. The rest of the days were pretty easy with me teaching the lesson.

5. Mr. H

Mr. H Rookie

Mar 7, 2008

Teach

Try having to show the same 55 minutes of the same movie 5 or 6 times that the kids have seen before. I once had to show "Remember the Titans" By the end of the day I hated the movie even though I am a big fan of Denzel Washington. :2cents:

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 7, 2008

I sub in elementary schools - and a couple of middle schools and high schools. I am more particular about the middle/high schools that I go to because of the behavior issues involved. I only go those schools where the students are respectful and cooperative. Also, I expect the administration to support me, if I need it.

Anyway.....I enjoy teaching to the older students, if I am comfortable with the subject matter. Once I had a math teacher leave me lessons on graphing linear equations. Huh?! I don't think so! That was a disaster!

However, I've taught English, history, (some) science, Spanish, vocational agriculture, business, and art classes. If it's not too complicated - and I have a bit of time to review the lesson - things go fairly well. If the teachers know in advance that they'll be out, they often have the students work on an assignment or project that they can do on their own or have already started.

Sometimes I get the "throw in a video and babysit" plan for the day. It gets boring, but I always bring along something to do to keep myself occupied - magazines, clipping/filing coupons, writing materials. I'd rather have a video than try to teach something that I simply can't teach.

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 7, 2008

My worst was listening to the same first 30 minutes of the President's State of the Union Address. OMG! I thought my head would explode! :eek:

8. Mr. H

Mr. H Rookie

Mar 7, 2008

My sincerest Condolances

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

9. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 7, 2008

Is that for me having to listen to that speech - or for all of us having "him" for a President?! :lol:

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 7, 2008

I think it would be fun to teach a Latin class... but then I'm a little weird that way.

11. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 7, 2008

How about vocational agriculture?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 7, 2008

Less fun for me than Latin, but I could still... dig it.

13. NoRehearsalTime

NoRehearsalTime Rookie

Mar 7, 2008

I've been an very active sub for over a year, and I despise movie-day. I've never tried teaching a Latin class, but I've never had a problem diving in to whatever the assignment is. The trick is to relate it to something in your own life. I've had classes convinced that I was an architect because I knew a enough about CAD to get me through the day. Maybe I'm weird like TG, but I like a challenge.

14. Mr. H

Mr. H Rookie

Mar 7, 2008

Mostly for having to listen to the speech itself. I was a polisci major and we had to watch and analyze them. They're scripted to death and nonspontanious in the extreme.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 7, 2008

("'Us geeks gotta stick together,'" TG murmured ungrammatically.")

And "The trick is to relate it to something in your own life" may be the single hottest tool in education (and, oh yeah, success on standardized tests).

16. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Mar 7, 2008

I don't sub for high schoolers, but if I did, I think I would prefer showing them a movie. For middle school and elementary school, I'd rather teach than show a movie. Otherwise, it makes for a VERY long day!! :)

17. Noggin

Noggin Rookie

Mar 8, 2008

I have started leaving my real lesson- exactly what I would have taught if I had been there myself- in addition to a stock busywork independent assignment. I leave a note that says they are welcome to default to the busywork assignment if they are uncomfortable with whatever the real assignment for the day is.

For the handful of days I've been out, I've gotten about 50% that did the real lesson and 50% that did the busywork. I know in a couple of cases that the sub was a retired language arts teacher- so they had about 30 more years experience than I do. I think they managed just fine with my real plans. :lol: I also had one that was close to job hunting time and she did a great job with the real lessons. Also got an amusing note back from a sub who said they did the busywork because she did not have a clue what an archetype was. I had to laugh because I'd just been asked to cover a math teacher's class down the hall for just one period and I was completely lost, too. I was wishing I had a busywork assignment to give them. :D

18. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 8, 2008

High School- movie all the way

Elementary- Teach- even without plans

19. jemini99

jemini99 Rookie

Mar 12, 2008

I would rather teach. I hate videos. Sometimes misbehavior happens because the students think that it's just a video and they act out.

20. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Mar 12, 2008

That sounds like a great solution. If I was a sub, I'd be glad for the options.

21. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Mar 13, 2008

It would depend on the subject I subbed for

I used to sub for high school the first three years I was out of school because I plunked myself down in a small district that only had two elementary schools. As soon as I moved to an area that had more than one district within reasonable driving distance I dropped to no higher than 8th grade. But to answer the question I really think it would have to depend on what I was going to teach. If it was in a subject area I felt comfortable in then I would definitely want to teach. I have also done the study hall/ video thing. Those two options are really boring which is part of the reason that I don't do high school anymore. It can get very tiring watching the same video every hour for 6-7 hours a day.

Mldouglas

22. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Mar 14, 2008

Wow- what a question! Unfortunetly, I am still one semester away from being able to teach high school (in MA you have to be a senior in college)- although I sure would like to try it. Yikes, as for Latin perhaps a movie would be good, but a short one with perhaps a writing assignment for the class to work on even in teams- IDK just something more active and less dreary! I think overall, I would rather teach. Sometimes just having that movie option is all you need, but then again I am very new to this so its interesting to see what everyone else has to say