Would you pay $95 a month for a garage?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by waterfall, Jul 3, 2013.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

I'm moving to a MUCH better area of the city to be closer to my new job, which I am really excited about. I wanted to move to this area last year but it was just too far of a commute from the job I had. It's a really nice area and right next to the light rail which I can take into the city whenever I want. Given all of that though, it's more expensive than my current place. The last time I didn't have a garage was in college. I can afford the extra price if I budget carefully, but I haven't been able to save as much money as I'd like to. It seems like some big expense always comes up. I can't decide if it's worth it to pay the extra money. We get some snow in the winter but it melts quickly. It's also generally not boiling hot in the summer.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

Yes. Without hesitation.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

What's the other parking option?

I have a garage, but don't park in it because it isn't close to my house. I'd rather park in the driveway next to the house. Now I park on a carport attached to the house. I love it.

I'd pay for a garage attached to my house. Otherwise, probably not unless I'd be competing for other parking.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

If I don't get one, I would just have to park in the general lot. They don't have carports or anything like that. However, from all of the reviews I've read everyone said finding a space was never a problem. The garage is detached- the attached ones are WAY out of my price range. I do have an attached one this year but have had detached in the past and honestly don't notice much of a difference. Being close to the light rail was my number one priority so that's why I picked this place- to me that is SO much more valuable than having the garage. I might ask if I can add one on to my lease later if I decide I want one. I do remember a couple of times in college where the snow removal thing was just AWFUL, but that was a really bad winter. I haven't experienced snow like that out here.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2013

I would have said yes several years ago, but I haven't had a garage for 3 years and it hasn't been a problem. But I live in Hawaii, so rain is the worst weather I get.

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013

I pay $30 a month for an extra carport but then again I live in a gated complex

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 3, 2013

Since finding a parking spot won't be a problem, I think I'd save the money and try it without it especially since you plan to use the light rail for your commute. Or is the light rail just to go into the city for fun, and your car for your commute? If you commute via car then I'd base my decision on how often you'll have to get snow/ice off the car in the morning to get to work. I know I would not want to deal with that on a regular basis and that would be reason enough for me to pay the $95 a month for the garage. But if we're talking about snow/ice on the car less than 20 days or so out of the year, then I say try to go without it.

If you do go without it, I suggest putting that same $95 a month into savings or directly towards paying off student loans or some other debt you have.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013

I've never had a garage where i was renting. Then again, it doesn't snow here... if I had to say to myself that I would need to budget carefully, I would skip the garage and put that money into savings.

10. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 3, 2013

You mentioned you're moving CLOSER to your new job... so I'm guessing you'd be saving on fuel costs? Have you factored that into your budget?

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 3, 2013

What is the crime rate like? If I had to worry about my car being broken into, I would pay for the garage.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

I'd save the money. I was tempted to say that I'd pay for it given the amount of snow you get, but that is a lot of extra money! I look at it as being $1,140 a year. I could do a lot with that!

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 3, 2013

I live in Ohio so our weather can be crappy. I haven't parked in a garage since freshman year of college. I don't miss it much. I could find way better ways to spend the money!

14. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

Is buying into the garage an option at anytime? If so, you can try it and see how bad it is. OR if you can cancel with a month or two notice, you might get the garage for now and watch to see what parking and crime is like.

Often reviews are written by "ghost" reviewers that will just get on and write excellent reviews to entice people to the rentals. Someone is much more apt to get a place where parking is easy. Once in and they find out the truth, moving is such a hassle that they will spring for the garage.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

That would be my biggest concern too. Here, vehicle theft, and stealing car parts is very common. We have had our truck broken into at least 3 times. That would be my interest in the garage. Other than that, I would be okay without a garage.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

I must have missed that you go this new job. What is it? Is it a teaching job?

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2013

I would most definitely get the garage. A garage can help resolve or avoid problems with weather (especially snow and ice) and vandalism. It also helps with personal safety.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 3, 2013

I live in sunny, southern CA with zero snow in my area & the area is known to be pretty safe & I still wanted a garage. Thankfully, it's no extra monthly fee at my apt complex. The alternative is a carport, which probably would have been OK too, but still...

In my area, garages are an extra $50/mo, maybe $75, but $95. That is a lot, but if it givs you better peace of mind, it's worth it.

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

I don't know if you thought about this but does insurance of your car or renter's insurance go down a little with having a garage. I know if I could afford one I would get one... it saves on your car's wear and tear... I mean the paint that most protects!!! It doesn't take a lot of sun to really dull and fade out your car.

20. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

I wouldn't get it personally if it is easy to find a parking spot and that you're in a safe area. I'm in an area that gets a lot of snow also and it's not so bad to get out of my spot with snow tires. Almost $1200 a year just seems steep...if parking is hard to find or car thefts are common then it definitely would be worth the money, though!

21. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 3, 2013

I have never had a garage. Right now, our apartment complex has subterranean parking, so my car is parked in a garage (thought not a private one obviously), but it's the first time I've ever parked a car inside. I think if the area is safe and it's easy to find a parking spot, it's probably not worth the money.

22. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jul 3, 2013

yes

I would. It could also be some storage-I didn't read the replies so sorry if this is a repeat!!

23. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013

How many months of the year would you have to scrape ice off your car for your daily commute? Where I live, it's about 4 months of the year--which means almost half of the school year. Plus, it's still dark when I leave for work, so going outside 10 minutes early in the cold and dark to scrape my windshield got really old really fast. I'm not quite sure it would be worth that much, though, unless you could really use the extra storage space. (And I live in a small town in a rural area, so I have no clue about dealing with parking issues...)

24. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 3, 2013

I would do it if it meant not having to scrape ice off my car in the mornings. But it sounds like that isn't an issue for you...

25. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 3, 2013

I would ask to see if you could add it on later so you could actually see how easy it is to find parking or if you do get it, ask if you can get out of it before the year is up. I can get snow for up to 8 months a year, so having an attached garage was a necessity for me when I bought a house.

26. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

I'd buy a remote car starter instead. About $100-200 depending on which one you get, lasts forever, and no scraping ice off ;)

27. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 3, 2013

If there isn't cut throat competition for parking, and weather and crime isn't a major concern, I'd probably do without the garage.

Don't throw snowballs at me, but I've had to scrape ice/snow off my car fewer times than five times. I really would need a garage if I moved up north!

28. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

Yep! I'm going to a much better district and it's in the part of the city I want to live in.

29. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

It's a new job for next school year. My commute time will be about the same if not a little longer than what I was doing last year. I'm only about 5 miles away but traffic is REALLY bad especially on that side of the city.

30. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

It's an extremely safe area...in fact it's generally considered the best area outside of downtown to live in. It's very suburban and surrounded by nice housing and more upscale restaurants. I currently live in a more sketchy area and that's part of the reason I got the garage here. My current apartment is very nice but the surroundings aren't. Where I'm moving I wouldn't worry about crime or safety at all.

31. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

No it doesn't...I checked! The funny part is that my car is pretty beat up due to an absolutely TINY garage I had at my first apartment. There are scrapes in several places and I also bumped the headlight once and both mirrors. If you didn't pull in at the exact correct angle at .2 miles per hour you would hit the sides of the garage. I looked into getting it all fixed and making the outside look nice but it was over 800 dollars and I decided it wasn't worth it. I would have been better off parking in the lot except for the insane amount of snow we got in my old location.

32. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2013

Just something to think about: In my city, it's very common for nicer areas to be targeted by thieves. They know, I suppose, that they're more likely to get a better haul from homes and vehicles in better areas.

33. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

We actually don't get a ton of snow here contrary to popular belief. It tends to melt extremely quickly because it's almost always sunny. We could get a couple of inches in the morning and it's all gone by 1 pm. Our snow is also very powdery and we get ice maybe once or twice a year. I remember last year we randomly got some ice one day and everyone was freaking out and late to work because they actually had to scrape off the car. That's why I never get snow days. We probably had about 15 days of snow this past winter and only one large storm (which I got a snow day out of- finally!).

I would like to have a little extra storage. The apartment I'm moving into is a little smaller than my current one. I'm currently keeping all of my school boxes in the garage, but of course those will be gone once the year starts. I was thinking of getting a bicycle too and I don't want that just sitting around in my apartment.

34. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

That's what I'm going to ask about- if I can add it at any time so I can get a feel for if I really need it first. The couple of times I've been there I've seen plenty of parking spaces and it's always been after 6 pm or so.

35. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 3, 2013

Congrats & enjoy!

By the way, this is my first post on my spanking new iPad4!!! :D

37. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

By "best" I don't mean wealthiest...several other neighborhoods beat us on that! It's ranking is based on the availability of public transportation, walkability, things to do, and very low crime stats. When looking at the crime "risk index" everything is less than a quarter of where I live now, and even where I live now everything is below the national average.

38. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 3, 2013

I lived in a very safe city, very safe neighborhood and still had my car vandalized 3x in the year I lived in an apartment with no garage.

Once, someone just went and smashed all the car mirrors for fun. Another time someone did something to one of my tires, and the last time someone stuck gum on my door-handle.

Nothing majorly dangerous, nor did anyone steal anything from my car, but, it was still a pain in the butt. :)

39. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 3, 2013

I live in the city where we have some break ins. My car has never been broken in. BF had his car "broken" into once and it was when he forgot to lock it. No vandalism at all. Don't leave anything out in your car. That seems to be the problem around here. I now own a garage and still don't park in it because it looks like it's about to cave in!

40. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 3, 2013

My garage is a storage unit.

41. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2013

I asked today when I went to pick up my keys and they said I could add a garage at any time if I decided I wanted one. I'm going to wait and see how it is without one first and then get one if I feel I absolutely need it.