Would you make your child go to school on Saturday?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ecteach, Jan 31, 2014.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2014

Like MissScrimmage, our schools are always open although if roads are bad, school buses are cancelled. Teachers are asked to report to the nearest school if they are unable to make it to their own school. If they feel they are unable to safely get to a school, they are to call in to their school and they "could" be charged a sick day. I've never seen that happen, though, and suspect it would happen only if it was felt that the teacher was taking advantage of the situation.

Even though my drive to school is less than 10 minutes, there are 6 closer schools I could report to if needed.

2. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 2, 2014

In bad weather classes and buses are cancelled. The kids do not come, but staff are supposed to if it is safe, and the day is considered an administrative day. I have not gone a few times because it was not safe for me to drive on the roads. I have never been docked pay because when I call in I say I am working from home. But I imagine they could make me use my personal day or a sick day if the higher powers thought I was taking advantage of the situation.

3. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Feb 2, 2014

Thanks-a nice, safe solution!!

4. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 2, 2014

I don't have kids and we don't have snow days, so this is purely hypothetical. I don't think I'd make my kids go. I don't think missing a day of school is the end of the world unless it becomes excessive, and kids need a break on the weekends.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2014

Snow day today!

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Feb 3, 2014

Had a snow day, too. We've used them all. If there are anymore we begin to lose our Easter break, starting with Monday and working towards Thursday. We would never make up a day on Good Friday.

7. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Feb 3, 2014

Exactly. The folks who keep insisting the kids need their weekend break seem to keep forgetting they kids just got an EXTRA break in the middle of the week, possibly for an entire week.

Since most districts who face the possibility of snow or "weather days" already DO have "make-up days" built into the schedule, the kids would have to miss several days before the district would start considering Saturdays anyway.

It is NOT an example of "We missed one day, so it has to be made up this weekend".

I can certainly understand the importance of a big birthday party and I agree events like that are critically important to the child.

That being said, Saturday's are never a full day. They are half days and last just long enough to meet the minimum requirement to be an "official" school day, so you could conceivably go to school on Saturday and still have plenty of time for the birthday party in the afternoon.

Of course, something on the scale you're discussing DOES take a lot of planning, as well as the rental fee on the bouncy house, so I could also understand if you said "I'm sorry, but we've already made plans for that day that just cannot be changed."