Would you make your child go to school on Saturday?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ecteach, Jan 31, 2014.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2014

NC law requires schools to be done by a certain day, which is why they do Saturday make-ups. After a few years of losing our entire Spring Break, I preferred Saturday make-ups!

2. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2014

Why is this best? You want to go to work on a Saturday? Why?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2014

Snow days might be hard to imagine for those who live in warm climates. (Although those living in Georgia and other southern states this past week probably have a newfound understanding!) Around here, Saturdays are family days, rec sports days for younger kids, and Sabbath for observant Jews.
    We don't build snow days into our calendar so they get added on to the end of the school year...pretty much as bros explained. Hurricane Sandy was able to be made up last year (5 days missed) by not taking off for Teachers Convention (it was canceled due to storm), canceling one parent conference day, and shortening our February break by two days. That way any snow days could be added to end of year without going until the absolute last day of June...Truthfully we rarely have as many as three days to make up....they do delayed openings on some days so snow can get cleared off the road. This year we've had only one snow day thus far...

4. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 2, 2014

We started September 3rd, I believe.

Finals here are on the last days of school

Two snow days in the district I live in. Three are built into the schedule

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 2, 2014

It depended on what was going on that day. Of course, we'd have plenty of subs in our building, because the quiz bowl, debate, soccer, and probably other sports and groups I'm not thinking of would be out at meets. If my kids had plans or commitments they had already made to community groups, they would keep those and miss school. If they didn't, they would be at school. Same goes for me, as well.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 2, 2014

I'd make him go. It counts as an absence if our kids miss a make-up day, which messes with perfect attendance and exam exemptions. If they've used all their parent notes (3 per semester), then it will count as unexcused and any work done will only be given a max of 70% credit.

As a teacher, it'd be hard to accomplish anything if parents decided to keep their children home on a make up day. I'm used to having roughly 1-2 students out per day and thus plan activities accordingly. It would be hard to only have 50% say. Not to mention at least here if x% aren't in school it doesn't count as a school day.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 2, 2014

I figured that school's already M-F right, so Sat is the only other day to make it up right? If I'm wrong, please correct me. People sure aren't having school on Sundays.

I know kids don't want to go to school on Saturdays, but I'm thinking in the adult's mindset. Isn't making them up on a Saturday here & there throughout the year better than having a whole bunch of days piled on at the end of the school year?

And regarding if I personally want to go to work on a Sat, I wouldn't want to drive to work, but if it meant either that or work a whole extra week or two longer at the end, I'd definitely be driving to work on some Sats.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 2, 2014

I'd personally rather work a regular week.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 2, 2014

I have a lot of students who play club sports, do community theater, are in robotics teams, attend regular church activities on Saturday, etc. Parents and students have invested time and money into those activities, and I would not expect them to miss them for a Saturday school day. Also, many of my students work on Saturdays, or babysit younger siblings so parents can work on Saturdays. I would not expect families to be without a supply of income so that my students could come to school on a Saturday.

I would plan enrichment activities that could easily be made up, and expect many students to be absent. If work would only count 70%, then I'd make the point value on the assignments given that day negligible, and give the students who came a special optional assignment to reward them coming. But I would not punish students who already had other commitments.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 2, 2014

Perhaps it's a difference in the area. Our students are predominately involved in school activities only. They play multiple sports, participate in the musical, are in FFA, etc... If they're missing because of those activities, their absence is considered excused because it's a school sponsored event. In talking with my students about their outside activities, I'd have at most a handful who would have something not school related on a Saturday.

Sundays are a different story obviously.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2014

Missing just one Saturday at my job during high school to make up school could have caused hardship because it was one of two days a week I could work right hours. Needed every dollar.

12. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Feb 2, 2014

I would make him go. It's either go on a Saturday or get days tacked on to the end of the year or lose spring break. The fact of the matter says you need X number of school days per year. If it snows on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday--well heck you got a five day weekend! That's awesome! But you still have to make the days up.

I'd rather do a Saturday then have my entire summer plans disturbed or spring break plan uprooted.

With that said, my district hasn't identified our snow days yet. I know 2 of them will be our remaining teacher workdays, and that still leaves 3 to be made up. Our district will most likely take 3 days off of Spring Break :( No matter what though, please or please don't decide to make us go this Saturday 2/8, it's my son's birthday and we have BIG BIG plans--renting bouncy house and all sorts of stuff.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2014

Ours have done spring break because people make plans so far in advance. We used to have a winter break if we needed those days they used those.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 2, 2014

We do not make up snow days. Technically school is still open on snow days and teachers are expected to report. Since the school is not 'closed' we are not required to make up those days. We also have laws in place for the dates of our school years, so our year would never be extended. Kids are resilient... they can handle a few missed days.

15. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Feb 2, 2014

MissS,
    Do teachers have to show up or lose pay? I am just curious, some PP have said that the state can forgive and not require days. I wondered about teacher contract and salary.(I have always been where teachers had to fulfill contract days or lose $$ or sick/personal time.) Thanks.