Would you like to have you as a teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RadiantBerg, Jan 5, 2014.

1. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Jan 5, 2014

Would you like to have yourself as a teacher? I know we all try to be the type of teacher we would like to have, but are there things you do as a teacher that you would not have liked as a student?

I think for the most part, I am the type of teacher that I would like to have. One thing I do that I would not have liked too much as a student is cold calling (calling on kids who don't raise their hands). In the beginning, I did not do that, but I quickly found that if I only take volunteers, I am only talking to 4-5 students. I do try to only call on kids that I'm pretty sure know the answer (and try to call on weaker students for the "easy" questions).

Anyway, I'm not trying to debate that particular strategy, but I am asking if you do things that you would not have liked as a student?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 5, 2014

Since I've modeled much of my technique on the teachers I admire the most, I'd like to think that I'm the kind of teacher I would have worked with as a student. I've also looked critically at teachers that turned me off to their classes and tried to figure out why I reacted that way. That also influences the teacher I've become.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 5, 2014

8 year old me would have loved my class.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2014

This! I loved third grade then and I love it now.:thumb:

Radiant, I know your questioning strategy isn't your focus here, but do you find yourself asking mostly 'knowledge level' kinds of questions? Varying the types of questions you ask could bring out critical thinking and get more kids involved in the conversation.:thumb:

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 5, 2014

For the most part. There are things that I must do/cannot do that would have bugged me as a student but overall, yes.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2014

Yes but that's because my teaching style is the same as my preferred learning style (lots of direct lecture, discussion, and independent work with very little group work or collaboration).

8. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jan 5, 2014

Wow! I love this question! I don't think I would like me as a teacher. And this has me really looking at what I do and how I do it. ....There are certain things I do that I know I would love, but my overall reaction is a resounding NO. I'm going to a planning workshop tomorrow and I will keep this question in mind. I'm already seeing some of the things I want to look at (question levels is in there for me!) I'm going to bring this question back to school with me - thank you!

9. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Jan 5, 2014

Yup. I strive everyday to be the teachers I liked, as well as the ones that I never had.

10. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2014

I don't think I would.

As a math student, I loved (and still love) direct lecture. However, my current style incorporates a lot of group work and really pushes students to find solutions for themselves. (Obviously, this isn't possible for many topics, but I try to make it work.) There is still a good amount of direct lecture, but not as much as I liked as a student. I think I would have greatly benefited in my education if I was forced to do more thinking for myself. I wasn't really challenged in that respect until my 200 level math classes in college. I think my teaching style works for most of my students because I try to pay attention to the different ways that my students learn--which is why I've realized that complete lecture isn't the best way to go.

However, as a teacher, I try to be kind, fair, and not make judgements about my students. Of course, I could improve, but in this respect, I think I would like to have myself as a teacher.

11. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jan 5, 2014

I would have liked me as a teacher. The only thing I wouldn't like...I do centers and group work quite often and I would have HATED that as a kid. I hate to work in groups at meetings as an adult.

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 5, 2014

Students tell me:
    I'm funny
    My classroom is relaxed but we still learn
    I'm fair
    I care
    I'm organized (their words ... I don't think I'm organized, but I think students think I am because they always know what the class period is going to be in advance ... today's class, tomorrow's class, test dates, due dates. So, I guess I organize for them, but I feel like my "side" is messy).

So, I think I would like me.

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 5, 2014

I would love the hands-on stuff I do frequently. I was very lazy as a student though so I probably wouldn't have liked all of the work I assign.

14. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jan 5, 2014

I think about this a lot. Right now I think young me would have liked to have me as a teacher.

I know shortly after I began teaching I was telling some stories of my teaching to a friend I have had since I was in school. He made some comment about how he would not like to have me as a teacher. At the time I had to agree with him. I was an extremely sensitive child and I think if I would have been the teacher I would have liked I would have been run all over by some of my classes. Looking back though and talking with students I have had in the past they all say that I was kind and always showed the students respect. Those sound like traits I would have liked from my teachers in grade school so I guess even at the beginning of my career I would have liked me as a teacher.

15. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jan 6, 2014

When I was in college a teacher told me to " teach the way you want to be taught." It was the best teaching advice I've ever received! Personally, I think I would have struggled in current day kindergarten. It not easy (IMO) to mix old school kindergarten with new school kindergarten! I am teetering on the edge of should I move up a few grades. I feel like I'm forced to do things that are not appropriate for kindergarteners.

Sorry...off topic! I think I wouldn't have been my favorite teacher, but I wouldn't have been my least favorite teacher either.

16. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 6, 2014

I am the elem. PE teacher I wished that I had had. We had no PE back then just recess. My jr high pe teacher was my inspiration and I still do things he taught me. He ended up as a PE tprof. at Middle Tenn. State.

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 6, 2014

I would have really liked my class a few years ago, when I was established and child-less. ;) Lots of time to spend on planning and getting the room set up. I'm pretty much starting over this year, and I'm not using some of the units/strategies that I've enjoyed in the past. They will come back next year, but I don't have the time or resources this year to do them.

18. Crono91

Crono91 Rookie

Jan 7, 2014

I'm going to say no. xD Not a teacher yet, but I know how I'm going to teach. I'm the type of student that excelled at just listening and watching. For instance, in my ethics college course, all my teacher does is lecture, and half his class drops out each semester after the first exam because many fail. I ended the course with a 97.

Yet, how I will teach elementary students will be the usual hands on approach and so on.

But to the OP who does not like cold calling, especially on those who don't know the answer. A great way to do it is by having a cup with sticks with all their names on it, and having yourself (and sometimes a student) pick from the cup to answer the question. This way its more random.

It also keeps kids on their toes.

19. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 7, 2014

I would. I am organized, funny, and down to earth with the kids. They know me, and I know them. I try to teach how I would have liked to been taught in 5th grade, and I remember how my favorite teachers taught me. I am strict, and expect the best my kids have to offer, and they know it.