Would you let a student choose to stay in from recess?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 25, 2017

Have a new little kiddo this year, new to the school. And, not that I was diagnosing anything, was not surprised when Mom mentioned at Back to School Night yesterday his 504 was on its way. He seems to be a truly nice, well-intentioned kid, but this afternoon he asked if he could stay in from recess.

As I feel quite strongly in this regard, I explained to him and the rest of the class that my policy was no. Privately explained he could ask the office if they would mind watching him, if he wanted to sit up there.

Even with his situation, I still feel strongly to keep exceptions to my policy exceedingly rare.

Do you guys differ about letting kids choose to stay inside?

3. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Aug 25, 2017

At my school, recess is our duty-free lunch so I do not take that time to supervise any students. If I have students that parents request they stay in, they do so in the office or the nurse's office (depending on the situation). I have never made it a practice to allow my students to stay in my classroom during their recess time.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2017

Inside recess by choice, not neccessity is a definite no.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 25, 2017

Unless it's one of his accommodations, he needs to go outside.

Backroads likes this.
  6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2017

Generally, I'm much more flexible in terms of allowing students to stay in: if I don't need to go down to the building, I'll often allow it, with the understanding that I need to be able to focus on my teacher-work, and that they should be independently reading, some kind of school work, etc... (only allowing free choice time inside occasionally).

However, for this case, if I were in your shoes (i.e. had your feelings towards it), I'd work with the admin/office to set something up, but only if it was seeming to be a recurring theme...i.e. he keeps asking for it, or it truly was a part of the 504, or it seems like it would benefit him. However, if it's just a one-off request, then I think just stating your expectations are fine.

DAH and Backroads like this.
  7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Obadiah and Backroads like this.
  8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 25, 2017

We are all required to be outside during recess so there is no one to watch kids in the building. Even if we didn't have to all be out, I'd have the kids all go out.

Backroads likes this.
  9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 25, 2017

I always recruit some helpers to stay in during recess. There are always kids who dislike being outside and love to help the teacher. It's a win win situation.

dgpiaffeteach and Backroads like this.
  10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2017

Who would be watching this kiddo if he stayed in? It shouldn't be you. Recess in my district is duty free time for teachers and other staff are otherwise engaged.
    Starting to allow him to stay in will likely lead to requests from other kids to stay in as well...could start a big problem in terms of coverage....also, there's tons of research on the benefits of recess.
    Have you mentioned this kiddo's apprehension to your guidance counselor? Maybe if he was buddied up with an empathetic and kind student for recess, he'd be less apprehensive? Could a lunch para keep an eye on him and help him find a group of kids with whom he might connect?

Backroads likes this.
  11. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 25, 2017

[QUOTE="Backroads,
    • he asked if he could stay in from recess [/QUOTE]
    Find out WHY he wants to stay in.
    Is he being bullied? Or is he just use to being inactive.
    Find out why, then you'll be in a better position to make the best choice for all involved.

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 25, 2017

Nope. Our policy is that if you are at school, you are expected to participate in all of the activities. I probably would have asked the student why they wanted to stay in to see if there was something that needed to be addressed. But otherwise, I would have sent that student out with everyone else.

bella84 and Backroads like this.
  13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 25, 2017

Maybe, if it continues in that direction!

I became particularly snooty about recess back when I was using the time to pump and now rather enjoy my quiet time. Can't get out of the habit, I suppose. Now, the kid seems social enough in class, based on the 15 minutes we've had of the school year so far, but he might not be social enough for recess. I suppose if it becomes a true issue, something could be worked out.

Totally did bring him up to the counselor. I ran into her in the break room and was pulled into a discussion with the 3rd grade teacher who has my Severe ADHD Kiddo from last year. They wanted my advice, and then I mentioned Anti-Recess Kiddo. She plans to pull him in next week when we get the 504.

I'd be happy to find a social solution for outside. I suppose if it's best for him to be inside doing something else, that's how it goes, but I truly would love for him to find a way to manage at recess--and not just for Mrs. Backroads' desire to keep kids out of her hair.

14. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 25, 2017

The prying I did suggested his last school didn't have such strict outside recess policies--I'm under the impression they had a nice selection of indoor options and that's what he's used to. I also think he might just be generally apprehensive of the ways of this school. He's very particular and literal (hence my lack of surprise when the 504 was brought up) and isn't quite catching on as fast as the other school newbies in class. So, best case scenario, he maybe just needed a pause from the "new and different recess".

I don't think bullying, though he did come in twice during that recess to complain about another little boy throwing the ball at him it what sounded like (from the TAs) a completely natural game. His mannerisms was like he was looking for an excuse

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2017

I would be interested in hearing how this plays out. Since there's a 504, there may be some processing skills that need shoring up, just not at recess. Benefit of the doubt would be that the newness has him off balance. I will hope, for both of your sakes, that dread transforms into acceptance and understanding of how the system works.

a2z and Backroads like this.
  16. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 25, 2017

Nope! You don't have to play, you're welcome to sit or just walk around, but you need to go outside.

Backroads likes this.
  17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2017

I know you aren't about getting the kid out of your hair! :love:
    It is about getting this kid socialized and acclimated. If you don't have the 504 by Monday, call mom about your concerns. The 504 might deal with his anxiety (?) but it might not. There needs to be a plan to get him to recess and interacting with peers. What did he do this past week at recess time when he asked to stay in? Did you send him out?

18. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Aug 26, 2017

I thought of another possible reason for preferring not to go outside during recess. It might take him awhile to adjust to new surroundings, and outdoors is a large spacious area to adjust to. Some people (such as myself) get an odd feeling when entering a new area and it takes a few minutes for my brain to adjust (that's the best way I know how to describe it. It's actually a sensation that's devoid of vocabulary to express it, and frankly, at my age, I usually ignore the sensations that eventually pass).

I was also thinking, in agreement with your observation, it just might have been a simple request he thought of or something similar to previous school situations. Since he's very literal minded, his requests are not going to be surrounded by the usual euphemisms or descriptions that occur in more advanced speech. Perhaps he was just asking with the same purpose he might ask any other question about his new school.

a2z likes this.
  19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2017

We have a lot of indoor options for kids--intramural sports in the gym one or two days a week, quiet work or reading in the library, study hall for the older students (supervised on a volunteer basis by staff), music practice in the music room. One of our Child and Youth Workers also runs some social skills groups during recess for those kids who have a tough time getting along at recess.

For kids who don't want to take advantage of any of those options, they are expected to be outside.

20. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 26, 2017

I hated going out for recess. I had friends, but I really just hated recess. I would sit and read, though I'd often be told to go play. I would've greatly appreciated an indoor option personally. I agree though that if that's your free time, you shouldn't have to watch kids.

mathmagic likes this.
  21. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 27, 2017

He's been a mixed bagged regarding recess this week, only asking to stay in the one time. Sometimes he seems excited for recess, other times not. I watched him a few times and while he sometimes happily played, other times he seemed on the bewildered side of not knowing what to do out there.

22. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 27, 2017

Our policy is if they're well enough to come to school, they're well enough to participate in all the activities, so everyone goes outside whether they want to or not.
    Only exception would be like a broken bone, then they'd obviously have to sit out during gym time and such.

23. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 30, 2017

He's been regularly going out to recess, though he has continued to ask to stay in now and then. I'm just being consistent and firm. His new claims are that he is allergic to the metal the play structures are made of, or he doesn't feel like it, or Mom said he could stay in if the teacher said yes. (Teacher hasn't said yes.)

I've spied on him a few times and he does seem to enjoy recess once he gets out there.

I'm now assuming he's just learning a new routine.

MissScrimmage likes this.
  24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2017

Seems like he's seeking attention. Ignore his requests to stay in and reinforce what a good time he seems to be having outside.

Get the 504 yet?

25. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 30, 2017

Haha! You gotta love what they come up with. Consistency will go a long way. Keep it up!

Backroads likes this.
  26. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 30, 2017

So we have the 504 and our SPED lead is going over it. We've chatted, and a sample of a score card was passed along from his old school. Since I don't have a particularly fancy behavior system for the whole class, this is perfect. One of the SPED teachers did suggest I could use missing a recess as a reward he could earn, with the chance to come chill with her in her classroom during that recess time (as we can arrange for conducive schedules).

On a tangent from that, she also said I could give awards such as a prize box looksie.

I haven't had a prize box for years. I have thought about setting one up, but couldn't figure out how to make it work with my more subdued classroom management system. I'd feel weird about just a prize box for him (maybe his own stickers as an alternative?) I have nothing against a prize box, just unsure of what that would look like when I don't really do the whole traffic light system.

27. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Aug 30, 2017

I always have a prize box. I have ordered from companies like Oriental Trading and Smilemakers. The ones I purchased ranged from $50 to $80. I went through each box and took out some prizes I deemed potentially distracting and inappropriate. (Like one kit had whoopee cushions. No way.) Clearly, you can do a much cheaper version of a prize box, but this is something I loved as a kid that I like to share with my students. I only let them pick when the whole class earns a reward.

I've also ordered bulk sets of erasers, fun pencils, little notebooks, fuzzy pencil covers, and a variety of little dollar store odds 'n ends. Stickers, erasers, bookmarks, tattoos, and candy are the cheap prizes. I do like to add some nicer things at times. It seems like each year there is always a hot prize that one kid chooses and then they all want the same thing. I never know what it will be that year.

Personally, I wouldn't do this all for one kid. I would talk to him and see what he likes. Could you do a "free" reward like iPad time, sit with a friend, or the recess inside instead? Another reward our kids choose is to listen to music with their headphones. I just hate the thought of you spending a lot of your own money when it is not something you might be interested in doing.

Backroads likes this.
  28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2017

If you don't do a prize box, don't. It's just a suggestion. Why not ask kiddo what he would like to earn? Give him a list if choices that you can easily implement.

Backroads and AlwaysAttend like this.