Would you leave a job because of one nasty person?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wldywall, Mar 3, 2015.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2015

The SPED coordinator, who is also my mentor is a bit of a witch. She seems to hate me, which is weird considering that she was part of the team that hired me.

She critices every thing I do, no form I fill out is right, no decision I make is correct. I have NO IDEA on how to talk to parents of SPED kids (even though I am a parent to two of them, both who had IEPS most of their childhoods!). I don't know how to deal with emotional kids (except for that pesky emotionally impaired cert I have). I cannot even keep my desk clean enough for her (did I mention we share an office...ugh, kill me).

On top of that she is queen bee of a huge clique, and now they are all starting to dislike me, based on her say so, since they don't know me.

I have even gotten in trouble with the superintendent for having a negative attitude....which of the people I work with (all of the 3rd, and most of the 4th grade teams) do not believe, based on her say so. (Seeing as the principal does not know me besides one conversation, I am not sure what else it could be based upon .... besides hearsay from this one person.

I have another school that wants me and a company that contracts out high need teachers that would also like to have me. I have even gone so far to update my resume. Now I don't know what to do.....do I float it or not? I love the kiddos I work with and they love me, so do the teachers I work with....I am just not sure I can deal with this one person.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 3, 2015

yes, I would leave because of one nasty person. And I have. Granted, the nasty person was the boss. I'm not sure I would have left if he was just a coworker that had no authority over me.

the way I see it, your nasty person can slow down your day, and maybe even keep it from being an awesome one, but the power she has over you is really dependent upon you. If the superintendent were to tell me that I had a negative attitude, I'd ask him for an example. One that he personally witnessed. And I'd say it as calmly and politely as possible, so he couldn't claim that incident was proof. If he mentioned hearing it from Witch, I politely ask him if he thought forming opinions of employees based on gossip was good business practice.

If there were other things at work that made me uncomfortable, I'd jump ship. But not just for one person.

However, if there are multiple people acting poorly, I'd probably leave sooner than later. No sense soaking in a toxic environment. Which sounds more like your reality than "just one nasty person." Even if Witch started the ball rolling, it sounds like you have many people following right along.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2015

Yep. Did it.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 3, 2015

I left my first job due to the terrible principal, and I would have made the same decision 100 times out of 100, even if I hadn't immediately landed in a better position in a better district.

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 3, 2015

Only if it was a person of authority, otherwise, not a chance.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2015

One nasty person can color your whole world with black.

I have left because of a nasty person who was not an administrator, but was arrogant enough that this person thought she could run my school life.

Left and found a better position. Was named Teacher of the Year the next year. Apparently, I wasn't as incompetent as the nasty person thought I was.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2015

Exactly. If you do not sign my checks or conduct my evaluations; I just don't care about "nasty and petty behavior" from co-workers. I just keep it moving, do my job and make sure to CMA if need be.

I can put up with "nasty" behavior. If need be, I know how to throw shade when people don't know how to act.

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2015

If I found a school in my district where I enjoyed the kids, I would be more than happy to stay there. The kids, in my opinion, make or break the teaching experience - I'm used to dealing with bad Admin and such.

10. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2015

Unfortunatly while she doesn't do my evals, she is my "mentor" and the go to person for every IEP I write, I have to have them all approved by her. Problem is, when she is wrong, she is every wrong and won't admit it. She had me do a REED on someone who only needed a service added, no matter how much I kept saying I think I just add it to the IEP and get it signed (per the social worker who was adding the service) I did it her way. ONly be told today by the SPED director it was wrong. They said I needed no REED, which as a three year reeval yes we do, just note no more evals are needed. .... I corrected her on that....director smiled and said good catch. So how can one person like me and the other hate me.....its so stressful. I am not an idiot the forms are new, but I know how to deal with parents and how to write a **** good IEP.

Ugh, I really think I should float my resume.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 3, 2015

First, I want to say how sorry I am you must with an individual like that.

When basing whether I leave based on a person, I would ask 2 questions?

1. Is this a person someone that directly inputs how I do my job? (such as an administrator or someone you must work with.)

2. How many minutes/hours week must I work with this person?

In your situation, it might be worth considering. Again, refer back to those two questions.

12. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2015

1. Yes
    2.Can't get away, my desk is right next to hers, in the office together for my planning, lunch, and after school

Guess that answers that question pretty succinctly

Thanks

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 3, 2015

Being that it is March and still a says away from June, I would try to see whatever you can to improve the situation. I know it is a very delicate and difficult situation, so I am a bit cautious to give you specific advice. Somehow, maybe you can find someway to improve on the situation before you start shopping elsewhere for next year.

Personally, I don't have a problem with confrontation, so I would confront such a person (that is me). I am hesitant to recommend that approach as I know this must be done carefully or things could get worse. Not an easy situation. I really wish you the best.

14. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Mar 3, 2015

Been there done that...your boss sounds like my former bosses. (People wonder why teachers drink!?) seriously I feel your pain...I would totally leave...I left because it was either leave and go somewhere else or stay and figure out how to look good in prison garb...good luck

15. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Mar 4, 2015

Yes, it you had so much trouble finding a job (moving to Vegas and back)! I would stick it out to prove you are a desirable member of the school. I worry that, if you quit, they will think you were fired again.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2015

I would try to stick it out until the end of the year. Start floating around your resume now and see what you can come up with for next school year.

17. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 4, 2015

Getting along with others is a big factor in any job I take.

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 4, 2015

Can you ask to be assigned to a different mentor?

19. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 4, 2015

Unfortunately no, since the only other SPED teacher is also new.

I WILL NOT leave before the end of the school year, and I have an at will contract, so I am free to leave with no issue at the end of the year.

I have done quite a bit to attempt to improve the situation, including letting the SPED director know what is going on, it got better for a week. Then just yesterday she got into my face (I literally mean into my personal space face, and since I was behind my desk and couldn't back up...) and yelled at me for authorizing a full three year reeval for a student. OH and having a parent sign a form for a reed that was wrong.....turns out SHE TOLD ME TO DO IT WRONG, and even the director didn't catch the mistake I DID! (director thanked me for the catch).

It is just so clickish and as much as I love those I deal with every day in the classroom this lady makes me feel like I am a worthless child, I am the same age. I don't need a mommy disciplining me.

Is it too much to ask to be treated as an adult with a brain?

But the good thing is, most of the staff really like me, think I am one of the best SPED teachers they have ever worked with and are willing to tell anyone who asks.

20. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2015

She sounds very threatened by you. Might actually be time to get in her face and give her some of her own medicine. When she sees that you are an adult with a brain and are willing to stand up to her, she may back down. (I would use my best stern teacher voice)

21. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 4, 2015

Can I throw in my grandma glare? My students say it is very intimidating.....lol.

I have been trying but to be honest she scares me.....said but true

22. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Mar 5, 2015

Now is the season to start sniffing around to see what other jobs might be available for next year. Life is too short to dread going to work. Good luck.