Would you interview for a position your overqualified for?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by anewstart101, May 16, 2012.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

May 16, 2012

I do have a job I know I should be happy but I am miserable :dizzy: I have job security in this market

I spend 3 hours in my car daily commuting. . .I am a single parent . . . for my kid and my health I feel I must quit :eek::eek:

I have learned a lot but I am not ready to relocate lots of reasons :woot::dizzy: I am exhausted and just done!

Love the students but thats it!

With that being said I am looking for a job closer to home or a reasonable commute I could live with! I need a job in order to quit need to pay the bills!

I need to find a job before I have to sign my contract -- The job market is tough --

I want to work with kids still -- I was applying for paraprofessional or behavior instructor jobs -- I am way over qualified but

I could sure use a job after the last two years where I can leave at the end of the day and not take my job home with me. A little less paper work and stress --

but I am applying for teaching jobs also --

I have interviews for both coming up and if I get a para job I would want to take it.

I would probably quit as soon as I can get a teaching job! I really need a job before June 30th but I know hiring goes well into the begining of the school year

I would hate to leave a para job I commit to. I am sure many do. What would you do?

3. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

May 16, 2012

I had a friend in your position once. He was commuting an hour and fifteen everyday by automobile (not train. subway, etc) each way (so three and a half hours total). He was miserable. Did he have job security...yes. Did he make decent money...yes. Was he happy...no. He went to work, came home, ate, and went to bed. On the weekends, he was so wiped out he just stayed at home and was a recluse.

We are here to "make a life and not a living" (not sure who said that, but I like it). In life you have to take risks (marriage, children, love, jobs, etc). Do these risks always work out...of course not. Divorces happen, children don't turn out like we want, jobs/careers may change or fail. We have to take the risk, because the opposite could also happen.

You know yourself better than I. My friend took the risk and got a temporary contract. That was five years ago and it paid off. Will it pay off for you...maybe not. You won't know until you try.

4. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

May 16, 2012

Thank you -- It is so hard to take that risk but I have to--

5. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

May 16, 2012

I would see what happens. If worst comes to worst...then you have your job.

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 16, 2012

Good luck! I would....money isn't everything!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 17, 2012

I'm currently working as a para (worked previously as a kinder, fifth grade, and math resource teacher). Sometimes, you do what you gotta do in life.

I would definitely go to the interview and see how you feel about the school and the job. And if you do an awesome job, then it may get the foot in the door to a full time teaching position.

I like what Xidous said about taking a risk. Sometimes, you just gotta dive in and see where you end up at.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2012

I would interview for any job for which I was qualified, and in which I thought I would be happy.

9. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

May 17, 2012

And this is why people don't hire overqualified folks :). Honestly, and this may just be me, I sort of feel like if there's a reasonable chance you'd jump ship, it may not be fair to the school. If, on the other hand, you were to commit at least through a school year (pending unforeseen circumstances such as major health issue) I think a school would be lucky to have someone more qualified, provided they understood what the job entailed, wouldn't try to overstep their boundaries, and was truly interested in the job - not just taking the job until something else came along.

I've usually been overqualified for the jobs I've had, and I've considered that a plus - that I bring more experience and training than the average person, which I knew before I got that experience and training - I knew I wanted to move back into positions that didn't require those things, but I wanted to be the best prepared I could be.

In my case, though, I very much wanted to be in those positions - I wasn't just applying because it was closer to home, with the assumption that I'd quit midyear if something else came up better. I guess at the end of the day I totally hear you about being stressed, but I'd also be concerned for the stress of the school community that would lose you in October if a teaching position came open. Stress sucks, no matter who has it :)

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2012

HOw did I miss that? (Easy answer: I've GOT to stop skimming through posts early in the morning.)

I would never, ever, give my word to work for a year then quit if another "better" job came along. There are other things that could cause me to quit-- illness or job relocation by my husband, but NOT "a better offer."

If you're planning to jump ship as soon as a full time teaching job comes along, then please don't take the para job.

11. mommy3boys

mommy3boys Companion

May 17, 2012

I would take the para job if offered and continue to apply for teaching jobs. You might get a teaching job right away, you might not. You have to make choices that are important to your and your family. There are hundreds of other teachers that will be able to fill in your shoes as a para if/when you get a teaching job. My friend was in this same situation, she ended up being hired at the school where she was a para two months into the new year. Her principal was so happy to have her as a teacher he said it was easier to find a para out of the applicants then to find a great teacher.

There are many people out of jobs that would be thrilled to take your position once you get a teaching job. Your family, mental well-being, and health are more important. Many people leave jobs because their husbands/wives get transfered/promoted, why shouldn't you?

Do what feels right to you. Good luck:)

12. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 17, 2012

I was hired as a paraprofessional with my masters in education. I was only a para for a month before I was promoted to Title I. I would absolutely take the position if offered. It will give you a great perspective as you continue to look for a teaching position.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 17, 2012

I'll never forget when a P from my student teaching school interviewed me for a position right after I had verbally committed to a full year maternity leave job. He said that although he wanted to hire me, my word was my word and it was important for me to keep it. I was hired the following year, but I knew what he meant.

While the para school might know you are looking for a teaching job (and be honest with them, don't hide it), if you commit, you really should try to keep your word.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 17, 2012

Yes, commit for the year. We had three people up and leave our program because either, the job was too hard, or they found another better paying job.

My director and I spent two Fridays interviewing and getting the new people ready to go with the job (orientation, etc). We also had to have subs come in the meantime and it's so hard on the kids having a new sub each day.

15. bison

bison Habitué

May 17, 2012

I work as a para, but there's no way I make enough to support a child. I barely scrape by as a single young person with several roommates. As a single parent, is the pay adequate? It's not all about money, but you need to put food on the table.

I wouldn't take a job and leave during the school year. It's not a good way to build a reputation. If you take it, stay for the school year. I work with many credentialed teachers who can't find teaching jobs, btw.

16. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

May 18, 2012

This is gonna sound awful, but here goes...you have to do what is best for you and your family. I agree with the rest of the posters...stay the full year if you can. If, on the other hand, a full-time teaching opportunity does arise during the school year then I would take it. Loyalty is important, but so is food on the table and gas in the car.

17. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

May 18, 2012

I decided to try to find a position as a behavior therapist with an ABA company so that I can be closer to home. In the meanwhile I will continue to look for a teaching job that is closer to home.

I have left other positions once I found another one for one reason or the other. I left a part time teaching job for a full time teaching job and so on. I left a job that paid $15.00 an hour to one that paid $18.00 and so on. I do have to pay the bills and do what is best for my son in the long run.

I can always home/hospital teach.