Would you interpret this as a good sign?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by workingwithkids, Aug 14, 2015.

1. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

Hi,

I had an interview on Wednesday for a teaching position. This is my sixth interview this year so I'm trying not to get excited and then getting heartbroken.

I arrived at the school and met with the ap (the principal was off campus). He told me it was a long interview (51 questions to be exact). After answering all of the questions, I asked when they would be making the decision. He told me that they would be making the decision today. He also told me that the long interview was the final step before contacting references and recommending me for the position. He told me he wanted me to meet with the principal and the team later to see if I could work with them. As I was walking out, he told me that he would see me soon.

My current ap and this ap are friends so that could help or hinder my chances. I am currently a para with my school (same district) but am certified to teach in 6 different areas. My ap called me today and told me about what I would be doing if I came back. I asked if he had heard from his friend and he said yes but he hadn't replied back yet, he would try to sometime next week. I asked him to reply today since they would be making their decision later today.

Would you consider the feedback/comments a good sign or just a generic response? Teachers start on Monday (inservice week) and I would like to know if I should start preparing for a classroom.

Thanks for all of the feedback

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 14, 2015

This sounds awesome and a very good sign. It's always a good thing when they mention that they want to talk to references and they want you to meet other faculty.

I hate when people do this! I'm sure your current ap wants to keep you where you are, so this may be a tactic to keep you there. I'm hoping there are some other references you included that the person could talk to.

4. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

Thanks for your feedback. The new ap said he would contact my immediate supervisor (my ap) and human resources would contact my references (which my references have already returned their forms). I am scared that the ap won't email him back and I lose the position because of it.

5. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Aug 14, 2015

Sounds like a good sign! Hoping for the best for you!

6. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 14, 2015

I'm just curious, how long was this interview and how many rounds does it take to get hired?

The most amount of questions I've ever had was maybe 20 for a 45 minute or so interview.

On this forum it seems like people have to go through multiple rounds of interviews! I mean I'm used to having 1 with HR that then leads to a admin interview, but I thought it was weird that one school I interviewed at has 3 interviews (no demo) and half the people are the exact same people throughout every interview.

7. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

I just got the dreaded email from human resources that the job had been filled by another candidate. I asked the ap of the new school to call me either way and he said he would call or email me. I haven't heard from him.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2015

I'm sorry workingwithkids. :( I've had the same experience though with admin stating they would call either way and I never hear from them.

9. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 14, 2015

Join the club! I'm always the one making contact!

Rarely have I heard back about getting or not getting a job. If I do, it's a letter that comes in the mail weeks later (not getting anyway).

10. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

Sounds very promising to me---wow 50 questions, I'll bet you were exhausted by the end of it. There are never more than 8 questions in any of my interviews.

Impressive==you're certified in 6 different areas, it shows you're a go-getter. Best of luck!

11. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

The interview was about an hour and a half long and it was a screener used by the district to see if you are teacher-centered or student-centered. If you are deemed teacher-centered, you get the pleasure of being put on a list and have to wait 1 year before you are able to rescreen (period of growth). If you are deemed student centered, then you get to continue interviewing for positions with the district.

I'm not entirely sure what the hiring process for my district is. I got my current position by recommendation of a principal that is good friends with my current principal. My current principal is notorious for hiring her friends so they haven't gone thru the typical route.

12. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

Yup...it most definitely helps to know someone (I'm finding out)!

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2015

So sorry things didn't work out. I've noticed that my principal asks everyone about contacting their references at the end of interviews (are your references up to date/do you have summer phone numbers? etc.). It doesn't make sense for candidates we know are going to be a "no" right away. I've often thought that she's probably getting people's hopes up and wondered why she asks.