Would you guys like a website dedicated to subs? A site full of tips, ideas, etc?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Peachyness, Apr 7, 2008.

1. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Apr 13, 2008

How about...

What's in your sub bag?

Maybe a thread for private/christian school subs

First day in the classroom tips/ideas....

2. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2008

I have a ton of suggestions for the sub bag! I plan to work on the type of books that are appropriate to bring with you in your sub bag.

That's a good idea about the private/christian school sub because I do plan to sub for one next year, if I don't get another job. So, that's something I could look into. I'm sure a lot of my tips will work for subs who work in a private school though. I wonder if there is something more specific I could add. Let me know guys!

First day in classroom tips. Well, as a sub, everyday can be like a first day. I could, though, have some tips on how to deal with a class when it's the very beginning of a new school year. I don't know. Still working out the kinks. But thanks for the suggestions!!! :)

3. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 14, 2008

How about a section on "Tips on leaving a lasting/good impression?" We always can use ways to keep the jobs pouring in!!

I have a few things that teachers have commented that they really appreciated different things I did, and it leads to more jobs!

4. nickr

nickr Rookie

Apr 14, 2008

It looks like there's a lot of interest in this Peachyness. You're going to make a lot of people happy if you can get this website together.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2008

Do you teach in Japan?

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2008

That's a good idea too! Do you have any ideas for this? All I can think of is, stick to the lesson plans, dress professionally, act professionally, keep the class under control with a firm, consisiten discipline plan, and leave a note and business card or number.

7. nickr

nickr Rookie

Apr 14, 2008

Yes, I teach ESL at Japanese kindergartens in Gifu (central Japan). I hang around this forum to pick up tips for my MathWorksheetWizard.com website.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2008

I was looking into different English schools in Japan. I found a couple, including Peppy Kids Club. But, I'm married so I don't know how that would work. But I would LOVE to teach for a couple of years in Japan. How do you like it?

Just looked at your site. I like the different math worksheet options. Mind if I put a link on my site? I'm sure other subs could use it.

Yes, I'm hijacking my own thread. I'm just chit chatting while waiting for others to pipe in with ideas. :D

9. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Apr 14, 2008

Maybe I should rephrase my "first day in class". What I meant was something like what do you do to start out class each time you enter a new class. Does that make sense?

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2008

Gotcha! :)

11. nickr

nickr Rookie

Apr 14, 2008

I love it. I've been here for 10 years, and have started a family here. I'd be honored if you could include a link to my site, thanks! :haha:

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2008

Wow. So, where were you originally from? USA? I'm so envious. My hubby and I visited Tokyo 2 years ago. We fell in love. It is such a neat country. We both love, love, love Japan. He loves the anime, old school ones, and I love the culture.

13. nickr

nickr Rookie

Apr 14, 2008

I'm from England originally. I taught for five years in Nagoya, then moved up to Gifu where I still teach now. I love Japan for its convenience and the carefree people. I also love my job, teaching English to Japanese kindergarteners. I'm very lucky to be doing what I do. Anyway, I don't want to take this thread off topic, but feel free to send a me a PM if you'd like to chat about Japan. I'm part of an online community of wonderful people who share the same interests as we do.

14. SideshowMag

SideshowMag Rookie

Apr 15, 2008

I wanted to chime in here. I am going to be subbing next year. I got my teaching credentials and a master's a long, long time ago but spent the intervening years in textbook publishing and now, in an ad agency. I want to get a teaching job but am worried that I'll need to take some coursework (was certified secondary but now want to teach middle school) so I am getting my ducks in a row to sub next year.

Is is odd that I feel a kind of abject fear about the whole thing? Annnnnyway...a website like the one you are planning would be incredible helpful for someone just starting out. I want to do a really good job and also, selfishly, want this to be a good 'back-to-classroom' experience for me.

I'll be waiting anxiously!

15. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 15, 2008

I would definitely love to see this web site go online soon. I may end up doing subbing next year if I don't get a job but even if I don't I could use it for when I need a sub or my own references.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2008

Well, this site is ready to go up as a, what do you call it, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, like a trial run, sorta. I have all, but one page, written and coded. However, there is plenty of information to add, PLUS, I need people to go through it and tell me if something seems confusing, or weird, or something. I only subbed for two months before getting hired. And now that I will probably go back to subbing, I'm trying to rack my brains what I did while subbing.

The site will be online by Friday. I will upload it first onto my school server. I will provide the link through PMs only. THen, after I get everyone's ideas, tips, and suggestions, I will PM Amanda and see what she says. I want to make sure everything is perfect before putting it to the public. Of course, I'm always going to work on tweaking it and adding to it, but I want it to be done for the most part.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 15, 2008

"Beta".

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2008

How do we get to the website? I tutor and sub, and would be interested in viewing this website of yours. What a task you have!

19. Ampage

Ampage Rookie

Apr 15, 2008

As a new sub, I support the idea/website and fully endorse it!

Cant wait to check it out.

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2008

This site is not online yet. It will be by Friday. I will PM the link when I am ready to have people look at it.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 15, 2008

How often will you update? You could provide sections for: recommended reading for subs, quick time filler games and activities, easy crafts, clean jokes for kids, discussion topics for different grades, links to reproducibles, maybe highlight a great online resource and change it up often.....

Good for you, Peachy. I bet it will be great.

22. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 15, 2008

Cool !!! I didn't expect it this soon! How exciting! I"m sure it'll be great!

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2008

Me neither. But when Amanda mentioned that she host it, that really motivated me. Plus, I've been so stressed with everything in my life (finding a new job, bird, house situation, etc) that this sort of takes my mind off of these issues. I can't wait to get it online so you guys can start critiquing.

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2008

I plan to update more often in the beginning, and then maybe 2 a month????? when this site is more established. I also plan to put an email link so that people can share tips, ideas, etc.

25. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 16, 2008

You only needa GED, and go through a background check to start subbing in most GA counties. Pay can vary greatly.

26. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2008

You might want to put a counter on your web page to see how many hits you get. I did that on my old one and was really surprised to see how many people viewed it.

27. Mommytoteacher

Mommytoteacher Rookie

Apr 17, 2008

I've just gone through all 7 pages of this post! :eek:

Peachy, this is so exciting. I'm starting to sub next year. I've read books and asked teachers for advice but this site is going to be sooooo helpful!

Oh, please post the address as soon as you can.

28. FlGirl

FlGirl Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

sub site

good idea!!!

29. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 20, 2008

Is your site up yet?

30. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2008

Well,...... no. I was planning on putting it up on Friday, but that day turned out to be a nightmare and never got around to it. We had field day, and it was just horrible. Anyways, I don't want to get into it. I haven't even worked on it all weekend. I just needed these two days to recoup and I feel like I need another day. Bleh. Anyways, I promise I will get it up on Monday and I will PM the site to you guys.

31. mrsbrown2007

mrsbrown2007 Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

I'm late, but I think this is a great idea! I would love to know the website once it's up!

32. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 20, 2008

anxiously waiting!!!!!!

33. Mommytoteacher

Mommytoteacher Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

HOORAY!

Glad you took some time to recoup. Field day is awful ALWAYS.

34. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2008

I wanted to post a quick update. I was all ready to upload my sub website when a horrible thought occured to me. I realized a major coding mistake that I didn't realize beforehand. Therefore, I will spend this weekend fixing it. I would have done this as soon as I realized the mistake, however, I have been busy looking up information on schools and getting a single subject credential. I promise, it will be up and ready to view by next week.

:sorry:

35. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 24, 2008

Well, put me on the list of subscribers! :D Look forward to using it.