Would you give up a good teaching job?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AnnNorCal, Oct 26, 2014.

1. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Oct 26, 2014

I've got a good teaching job in a good school. The students are good, the salary is good, and in general everything is good. Yet, I can't stand the town I live in and I would really like to move away. I am thinking of teaching abroad next year and then moving to a different state to teach.

However, I'm worried that leaving after teaching only 2 years will look bad. And...all my friends and family think I'm crazy for giving up a good job when teaching positions are so hard to find. Personally, I'm in my mid-thirties and unattached. I feel like if I don't do this now I may get too settled to leave. Yet, I don't want to make the wrong choice. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Oct 26, 2014

It doesn't sound as if you are happy where you are. Better to move sooner rather than later. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to leave.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 26, 2014

I think you only can answer this question.
    If you're not happy, then it's probably better if you leave, otherwise you might regret it later.
    I would however, would not leave a good job unless I had something else lined up.

I don't like the town (or the area) I live in either. I moved here for this job, and it looks like I will stay here. I wish I could move back to San Diego, but the job market there is not very good (for the type of schools I'd want to work at).
    I also thought about maybe moving to LA, but why gamble and give up a job which I like, with supportive administration, a great district, great pay and low cost of living area?
    This is my thinking, but I'm 10 years older than you, and that probably makes a difference as well :)

I don't think anyone would look at you badly if you leave after 2 years.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 27, 2014

I left my first job after a year. It was a great school, but I got married and moved out of state. I then taught in a district that micromanaged everything teachers did and provided zero support for six years. Four years ago I switched to a great district where I hope to stay long term. Now I would not leave voluntarily because I have experienced the other side. I also have a family and am "settled" so to speak. Do I regret leaving my first job? Not one bit. It was the perfect job at the time, but my life took me in other directions.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

I left my first school after 1 year because the thought of even seeing that principal again made me want to jam a rusty fork into my brainstem. People move, people relocate. If you do it every year, it'll look bad, but doing it once is just fine. If you really want to teach abroad for a year or two, this is really the time to do it.

7. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Oct 27, 2014

I'm not sure if I would. I love my job, and I'm skeptical of whether I would like any other teaching job. I will probably only leave this position when I have children.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 27, 2014

Why not keep the job and just move to a different town that isn't too far from the school?

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

If you have the means and the opportunity to take on ad adventure and try something new, while you are young and unattached, why not?

Life's too short to wonder "what if...".

Look at it this way: will you always wonder and/or regret NOT moving? If the answer is yes, then I would go for it. It's not like you've taught at this school for 2 months...people change, circumstances change, and you may never have the opportunity again.

Only you can truly know, but I think if you are asking the question you already know the answer.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2014

I am obviously in the minority here, but I would have a very difficult time leaving a good teaching job.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 27, 2014

I wouldn't leave it either. If I've got a good thing, why give it up? Living in a town I didn't like would have nothing to do with the school I was teaching in. I would keep the job and find a new town or community to live in. If that mean driving more, so be it... unless the nearest town was two hours away... lol

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 27, 2014

AnnNorCal, my main point is that life is short & although many things can be seemingly perfect, if one other thing is off, it's worth it to risk finding contentment elsewhere. I feel strongly about that.

With that being said, I was going to say to maybe see if you can stay about 5 yrs in that job, then move & see...UNTIL I read the part where you said your age. If you were in your 20s still, I'd say to maybe try to stay for 5 yrs total at your job, then move. However, since you're already in your mid-30s, better to take the risk NOW & see if you can find contentment elsewhere & having no kids, etc. yet is a big plus to allow yourself to do that.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2014

The grass isn't always greener and I'm living it. I left a low paying job where I taught for 6 years to move near family. On paper, I make $10K more a year, am in a union, etc... I love being near my family. But professionally, I regret leaving. After taxes and insurance, I bring home only $2,000 more a year. Sure my school day has protected planning, but I'm miserable other wise.

14. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2014

LEAVE! SEE THE WORLD!

I got a pretty good job abroad after only teaching one year in the USA. Most international schools abroad want 2-3 years experience.

Go, live your life. Be bogged down by a "good job" in a mediocre town later.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

People generally don't leave my district unless they're non-reelected.

Personally, I'd never leave my district--I make close to 6 figures (which is nearly impossible to find in my area). I'd be giving up 9 years of tenure and great pay!

I should say, however, that this is a very high poverty/high crime area. I recently read that we were voted one of the top 10 worst places to live in CA!

16. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Oct 27, 2014

Thank you for all of your replies. It has been helpful to read about others experiences. There is no town close enough to my town that I would even consider. Young Teacher Guy, I'm either in your town or close to it;)

17. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 27, 2014

Wow, then if there is nowhere else to live, then I guess you need to high tail it and find that safe place.

18. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Oct 27, 2014

Right now I'd give anything for a good job that I love, but as someone who settled down very young, I do sometimes wish that I'd had more adventure first. While I'm very happy, it's a lot harder to do things like go overseas now. So I'm inclined to tell you to take the leap and see where you land.

19. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 27, 2014

I left a great job because I hated where I was living. I guess it depends on how much you really want to move. Personally, I was 23 years old and living in a tiny mountain resort town where I literally had NO social life outside of school. The only other people my age were very transient "ski bum" types, and that just wasn't my thing. The nearest city was about 3 hours away and the drive to get there was pretty treacherous. There were no "meetup" groups or anything of the sort- the town was just too small. I did occasionally spend time with coworkers outside of school, but they were all 35+ and married with children. I absolutely loved the school- my kids, my coworkers, and even my admin. Despite being a brand new teacher, I felt highly respected and valued, and admin often even came to me for help with decisions. I worked their two years and was given a lot of leadership responsibility in my second year. If it would have been located in a better location, I honestly think I could have worked there my entire career. Socially though, I was miserable.

I ended up moving to Denver, which I love, love, love. Living in the mountains made me appreciate Denver SO much, haha. I ended up in a terrible job my first year in the city, and I STILL don't regret leaving my first job and moving down here. Luckily, I'm now in a much better school. Out of the three schools I've worked in, my first is still my favorite, but now I work in a pretty decent school and I love where I'm living. I have all the conveniences/entertainment options of living in the city, plus I easily made a wide circle of friends outside of work here. I am SO glad I moved!

20. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 29, 2014

I would leave if the following 2 are true:

1. You can afford to do it.
    2. You are constantly unhappy with where you live.

21. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Nov 2, 2014

I would encourage anyone who wants to teach abroad to go for it. My first and most previous jobs were abroad, and I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. Just be aware that when you are ready to come back, you probably won't land a job in your dream state right away.

22. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Nov 2, 2014

Thanks for your advice. I think coming back is what I'm most worried about. I would be moving to a new state or region when I return and I'm not sure how fast I would get a job. I would hate to sub again, but that is definitely what could happen. I'm still conflicted on my choice, but I know for certain that I do not want to stay in my current town for the long run. Trying to figure out if I should stay a little longer to save some money or take a chance. Thanks for all of your replies, they have been really helpful!