Would you get Fake Nails, Shellac, or Do French Manicure on Own?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Maithal, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Apr 25, 2011

I have pretty nails (not trying to brag) and in the past when I get french manicure I usually get it on my own nails at nail places or do it on my own. I'm pretty good at it. However, it doesn't last long.

I made appointment to get Shellac french manicure at the nail place I got to in town for a wedding I'm going to with BF this Saturday, but it costs $35. As much as I'd love to get french manicure, I know I shouldn't spend the money now. So, I'm thinking of cancelling my appointment. I did french on my toenails last week and spent about $35 already last week. I don't know how some people get manicures every few weeks. Being part time sucks sometimes.

My coworker gets these fake french manicure nails from Target that come out really nice, but I'm always leary to use something like that because I don't want to mess my own nails up.

Anyone done this? What brand do you use and how does it work? Do you use chemicals to apply? How do you remove it? Also, how do you get it to fit your nail shape properly? Where do you get it and how much does it cost?

What do you suggest? I do my own french manicure the night before the wedding get the Shellac, or try some fake nails for cheaper?

Thanks! :)

3. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Apr 25, 2011

Be very careful. When I worked in the chemistry field we used to develope and manufacture some of those nail products. Before you go pay $35 call and ask them how long it is supposed to last and how to remove it when it is time. If it is not the newer type you will need to soak your fingers in an acetone based remover for a while to get them off. That is not good for your hands or nails. If it is the new type that can be removed with Isopropanol (also called IPA or rubbing alcohol) that is much easier on you.

If you just do a french manicure on your nails yourself with 2 colors of nail polish it is cheapest and easiest on your nails.

The wrong kind of treatment can be hard to remove and make your nails dry and brittle for a long time.

4. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Apr 25, 2011

Do your own nails.

I recently got my acrylics taken off. I'd had them on for ~9 years. I miss them, but I'm enjoying my money more.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 25, 2011

No, I would not. ;)

6. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Apr 25, 2011

Just do your own nails! I got married last summer, and I did my own nails for my own wedding. It was less of a hassle, and since I worked with my natural nails, they were still healthy, happy nails after I removed the polish.

I know a lot of people love the Shellac manicures (they DO last a while), but I don't like the idea of having to soak my nails in polish remover. It seems to be an unnecessary use of strong chemicals. I don't like the idea of fake nails--the glue does a lot of damage to your natural nails. Also, people have different nail shapes--I have very thin, elongated fingernails, so a lot of the "do your own nails!" kits don't work for me. I'd say just paint your own nails and call it a day. You'll save a ton of money and your nails will thank you for it later.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2011

If you have nice nails, do it yourself.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2011

I don't do anything to my nails and certainly don't pay someone else to :), but I think if you are happy with your nails when you give them a French manicure, then keep up with that. Perhaps try a higher quality sealer or top coat or whatever it would be called.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 25, 2011

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2011

Do you know how those nail strips accommodate various nail shapes and sizes?

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2011

MY nails are petty strong.

I do them myself. My one and only manicure was the afternoon before my wedding. THey looked nice, but no nicer than I would have done on my own.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2011

I'd do your own nails. Make a night of it - pop in a movie, order in, etc.

13. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 26, 2011

I would do your own nails. Maybe paint them a pretty Spring color...or I've heard of these things called nail effects...they are a stick on and file off excess type of thing. You can get them in different colors or designs. Girls at the college I work at have them on all the time and they look really good and they say they're really easy to put on. You can get them at Target for less than $10. Plus they last almost 2 weeks! I think Ms. I put the link in her post.

JustMe: I think they have them in 2 different shapes where it's more of a squared shape or circular shape where it meets your cuticle. I read about them a few weeks ago on this review blog...tells you all about them! :) http://www.alllacqueredup.com/2011/01/sally-hansen-salon-effects-nail-polish-strips-review.html

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 27, 2011

The set I bought has 8 different widths & are quite lengthy in which you cut/file away the excess, so they should fit everyone's nails.

15. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 27, 2011

I used to have acrylic nails and LOVED them. I had them on for YEARS with no problems. With my nails, I had to go back for visits approximately every 2 weeks. Some other people I knew of could wait 3 or 4 weeks, just depends on how fast your natural nail grows.

I would NEVER get those plastic nails to buy and glue on myself. They look tacky and very very fake. Besides that, they can easily fall off.

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2011

I get gel nails applied for $20 plus tip every 2-3 weeks.
    I started when I quit smoking as a reward to myself 12 years ago :wub:

17. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 27, 2011

I love doing my own nails. Here's my strange tip.
    You will need:
    Bottle of clear polish ( I use the Sally Hanson growth kind)
    One clove of garlic
    Garlic minced or slap chopper

Directions:
    Mince the garlic into fine pieces. Shove many small pieces into the opening of the bottle. Let marinate for a few days. Paint on your fingernails every few days while growing them out, or just to make them stronger. Your nails WILL smell for a few hours but they will be as hard as ROCKS!
    When I do my own nails I get compliments all the time that they look acrlyic. I don't remember where I heard this advice from, but I think it was Dr. Oz. Best nail tip I've ever heard.

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2011

Do you think you can just make a garlic mash and just rub it directly on your nails?? I don't do any weird nail polishes on my fingers, but I like this garlic idea.

19. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 27, 2011

I'm not sure at all. ?? I think I'll do a google and see if I can find where I got this idea from.

20. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 27, 2011

I used to think the same thing...but a girl my sister knows wears the Sally Hansen glue-on nails all the time and they look real, she gets compliments on them all the time. What makes them look more realistic is the part nearest your cuticle is a lot thinner than the tip of the nail...so it blends nicely. I've tried them once and let me tell you they are perfect for a wedding or one time occasion thing! Cheap too!

21. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 27, 2011

http://skinverse.com/garlic-for-strong-hard-nails.html

Don't know if that link will work. I did get the idea from the Dr.Oz show. I read online that I'd you don't want to do the garlic nailpolish, you can use garlic oil. I'm not sure if they sell the oil or if just plain garlic bulbs rubbed on the nail bed would work.

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2011

Ah, interesting. Thanks!

23. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Apr 27, 2011

I got the shellac treatment a week or two and as rough as i am on them, it lasted a week. They claimed it would last three.

24. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 27, 2011

Could be but they pop off very easily. It's only plastic and glue vs. glue and acrylic...

25. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 27, 2011

I'd just paint your own nails. I do my own all the time. I use tape to get the exact shape I want for the white tips (I put tape on the rest of the nail and then paint so it comes out in a really clear even line). I got a manicure once with one of my friends just for fun- it only lasted 2 days! My own lasts at least a week and I'm pretty hard on my nails. One time in college I was at a "girls day" at a friend's church and they had free manicures there. I had already done my own earlier that week but decided to let the professionals there redo them. They asked where I had gotten them done because they looked so proessional, and then asked if I was looking for a job, haha. In my opinion its not worth the money especially if you can make them look nice yourself.