Would you ever sub for a teacher you love but hated the class?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by mandagap06, Mar 9, 2009.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Mar 9, 2009

I was just wondering if there was a teacher who was really good, left really good sub plans and just a joy to sub for yet had a class that was awful and out of control would you still sub for that class? I have been in that situation a few times and still sub. One teacher in particular had a well not newborn child but not a yr old yet and was always getting sick with ear infections and other things. I felt bad for her becuase she needed to be with that baby but could never find a sub due to her class.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2009

$$ is $$ so I think I would sub for that teacher no matter what. I've done it before, a 3 day assignment for the same teacher whose class wasn't all that bad, but there were 2 students in there that definitely made me earn my money.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2009

I dunno...

First of all, I'm not a sub, so my opinion might not matter much. :lol:

A few years ago we had a Spanish teacher at my school who was just the nicest guy on the planet. His classes, however, were a completely different story. I covered one of his classes once (I forget why), and it was awful. Absolutely terrible. I don't think I would have done it again, even though I really liked the guy.

Now, it might have been different if I had been getting paid for it.

5. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Mar 10, 2009

I have a second grade teacher who I love and she's great, leaves good plans, but her class is a nightmare. They are disrespectful and unruly. However, when she asks me I do take the class because I can handle them. I keep hoping they will get better because when I leave her my note and of course, note that they were bad, the kids usually lose recess time the next day due to behavior. Also I like 2/3 6th grade teachers, but I won't sub in 6th grade. 6th graders are horrid.

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 10, 2009

I think I'd pass on that "opportunity."

7. FlGirl

FlGirl Rookie

Mar 10, 2009

I think I would take it if I could.
    If its a tough class it gives me the opportunity to try different classroom management skills.

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 10, 2009

I am very close to some of the teachers (who always call the Major first) and I will always sub for them, no matter what kind of class they have.

Respectful kids will have a wonderful and entertaining experience in my class; disrespectful, out of control kids will pray for the day to end. As a teacher I'm in complete control.

Major........:)

9. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Mar 10, 2009

Major, you have always sounded like a teacher who could handle anything! Way to go for doing a good job in keeping those kids in line!

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 10, 2009

I'd pass because the main thing in my book that makes me want to return is HOW the kids were, especially regarding behavior. I could sub for a teacher I don't care for that much because if I'm subbing for her/him, he/she won't be there anyway! :D

11. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 11, 2009

Exactly!
    I can pick and choose the sub jobs that I want to take. I sub for the classes (and schools) with students who behave in an appropriate manner.
    I have a list of teachers and a couple of schools that I will NOT sub for because they are too much trouble for me to bother with.
    Thanks, but I'd rather have a good day!

12. SoCal_Sub

SoCal_Sub Rookie

Mar 17, 2009

I have to agree as well. There's no way I would return to a class that gave me a hard time and was disrespectful. I sometimes let the class know how I feel by saying such things as, "I'm never coming to this class again" or "Dear God, i should have stayed home." :lol::D