Would you drive this far for a teaching job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by pommom, Jun 25, 2018.

?

Would you drive 40 miles one way for a teaching job? (So 80 miles a day)

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 25, 2018

Poll

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2018

I actually do.

4. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Jun 25, 2018

I'm amazed at how many teachers do it. In Pennsylvania there are 500 school districts, and most teachers stay in the first district that hires them. I've run into teachers driving 60 miles each way.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 25, 2018

I’m currently driving 4 miles one way. Before we moved to our new building, I was driving 2 miles. I’m not a fan of driving or mornings, so I prefer being close.

DH drove a mile to work for 22 years, then moved here. He’s driving 25 miles one way now. He doesn’t mind.

Plenty of coworkers drive 20 to 30 miles each way. The longest distance was one who drive 60 a day.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2018

I am paid very well for my services, they have paid the tuition for part of my masters, as well as all of my SPED certification. I like the people I work with, we are encouraged to grow and develop procedures and curriculum for our population of students. I could work only 20 miles away, but I enjoy making a salary that is over 25 percent higher than the closer job, which is a great district. It's just not the best job for me.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 25, 2018

I actually drive further than that. Nearly a decade ago, I landed my dream job at a fantastic school, which is 80 km (50 miles) from home. Amazing colleagues, supportive admin, great families - the best place to start my career. I've built up a great resume and gained unique experiences due to being in a small district. This coming fall I will be trading in that long commute for a much, much shorter one. But I wouldn't trade the past 10 years for anything. If it's the right school, the drive isn't an issue.

8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2018

No, I would not. However, I was lucky to have several options in my area when job searching. Since I am not married, I would relocate closer to my job before driving that distance.

9. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Jun 25, 2018

To me that really isn't very far. I drove close to that for about 5 years. I was happy to drive it because it let me live and work where I wanted to.

10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 25, 2018

I'm amazed at everyone who has long commutes!
    I've never had to drive more than.. I think, 7 miles to work. Shortest commute was my most recent school, about 2 miles!

11. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 25, 2018

I am most likely receiving an offer for a school that is that distance (I was told today just waiting on HR) I have never driven that far for a job before. It will take some getting used to. I had great vibes from admin team and the position is perfect. I just wish I can land that same position closer, but at least I tried.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 25, 2018

I drove a hundred miles a day for years. It was at a great school with awesome administrators, wonderful coworkers, and excellent professional opportunities. I don’t miss the drive, but definitely miss the school.

Download podcasts and audiobooks. They definitely help you unwind from the day.

13. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 25, 2018

Never ever. I drive about 12-18 miles each way (there's a range because there's like 4 routes I could take there and I switch it up just because I get bored doing the same every day). For me it's a good distance. I don't want to live right in the town because A) I couldn't afford it (very wealthy suburb) and B) I wouldn't want to run into students/parents every time I go to the store. I wouldn't want to live any further either though. If it was a job I really wanted, I would consider moving closer.

14. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2018

For me, it totally depends on what kind of drive it is. If it was a school I really liked and it was 40 miles on roads that weren't too crowded and 40 miles meant getting there in 40-50 minutes, I'd definitely do it. I could even see it being relaxing listening to music or audio books. If the 40 miles were in busy rush hour traffic, and that meant a commute of over an hour in traffic, no way would I do it.

I currently live about 9 miles away from my work, but traffic is awful for about half of my drive (it's half highway, half on a regular road, and there's no quicker way round the highway). On the best days I get there in a little over 20 minutes. On a normal day it's closer to 30, and if there's an accident or something going on it's easily 45. If it's snowing (we don't get many snow days) I can easily expect an hour or more. Going home, it's much busier and about 35 minutes is generally the best I can do. I'd almost rather a longer but easier and more consistent drive.

I once interviewed for a job that would have been about a 50 minute commute 1 way for me, but it was all on more rural roads with no traffic and it would have been that same easy drive every time. The school also seemed really nice. I would have definitely taken the job if offered, but I didn't get it.

15. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 26, 2018

For the last 20 years of my teaching career, I commuted 50 miles to work every day. Of course, if I had a choice, I would've opted to work closer to home. I once figured the total distance driven would have gotten me to the moon and although I wouldn't have made it back home, the few extra miles would've been enough to circumnavigate the lunar planet about fifteen times!

Commuters definitely put a lot more wear and tear on their cars and the high mileage can affect premiums for car insurance. Increased gas consumption can become quite costly depending on the type of car used and increasing gas prices.

Another thing that commuters may have to contend with is safety on the road. My commute took me along a stretch of highway known as Death Alley due to the number of deadly crashes that occurred every year. Fortunately, for several years I owned an amazing car that not only averaged 75 mpg, but was constructed of extruded aluminum which was reportedly stronger than steel. Thank God, I survived my commute long enough to retire!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2018

At this point in my career--4 years to retirement--I wouldn't. Earlier on, I would have.

17. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jun 26, 2018

No. I hate driving. To me it’s a waste of time. If I got the job and it was great, I’d move closer.

18. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Jun 26, 2018

Absolutely. Again, it depends on the traffic of course. I've never had a shorter than 30 mile commute. I used to commute 30 miles to high school. Mine is currently 25 each way. I enjoy the ride--I listen to music, plan my day, plan my weekends, whatever. It's downtime that I appreciate, especially if I'm heading to a rehearsal or a music lesson--gives me time to switch gears.

19. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 26, 2018

I agree with waterfall. For me, it wouldn’t be about the miles. It’d be about the minutes. If the time it takes to get there and back is reasonable, I’d do it.

20. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 26, 2018

Agreed. When I first got hired here it was a 35-45 mins ride one way (depending on how traffic goes that morning; when it snowed it might have been an hour+). But I'm still here, and we've since moved closer. Now I'm 15 minutes away and it is a.m.a.z.i.n.g. Snow makes things complicated as snow does but still even taking my time in the snow it's only say 30ish mins usually.

21. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2018

My sister is my driving buddy - she calls after school, and we chat as I drive home from school. We are 1200 miles apart, but thanks to the cell phone, she is practically in the car with me. It is where we "meet" frequently, and there are days that if I need to rant, she listens and understands, leaving me in a better mood than when we started. My afternoon commute takes longer, so a special thanks to a special sister who "gets me" as well as my job.

i.heart.trees, Been There and pommom like this.
  22. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 26, 2018

I drive 50 miles one way-about 45-50 minutes. I love where I work and I love where I live. I'm not willing to change either. I actually love the drive 90% of the time though. I listen to a couple radio shows, talk to my parents, and just decompress.
    I've always had a long drive though. When I transferred high schools, I had a 45-50 minute drive. Then in college I also had a long drive up to an extracurricular activity I was in. I don't really know any different!

23. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2018

It depends. I had no other job prospects, I would consider it. If I could move to the area if I liked it, possibly. Otherwise, no. The cost for that amount of driving wouldn't be worth it to me.

24. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Jul 4, 2018

I wouldn't drive that far, but it snows here and I have an old car. The farthest I like to drive is 10 miles one way.

25. mamaotter

mamaotter Rookie

Jul 4, 2018

I expected the distance to be much farther! I would drive 40 miles one way easily. I live in a small town near a large town, and it's a good half hour to go just about anywhere. My son commutes a half hour to college every day. I have been applying and interviewing at schools within an hour radius. However, I have an interview tomorrow almost 90 miles away! I am hesitant, but I need a job. I figure it won't hurt me to interview. They called me and asked me to apply for the position. At the very least, I figure a year of experience (I'm looking for my first job) might be worth that drive, and I'll have a better chance of finding one closer next year.

26. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 4, 2018

In your first few years, it's all about getting experience. I drove 60 minutes each way for 9 years. Now that I have the right experience, I landed a job less than 10 minutes away, in a very desirable district.

Starting at a school far from home has it's perks.
    1. Once you leave at the end of the day, you can't go back. We had 24/7 access to the building, but I sure wasn't driving back to work once I was home.
    2. You don't run into students when you're out and about, and if you do, it's a fun surprise.
    3. You can re-hash your day on the way home and then it's done once you get home. Also, I always planned what I was going to cook for supper so I could walk into the house and get started.
    4. Audio books

mrsf70 likes this.
  27. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 4, 2018

If I was a newbie, I’d consider commuting. Especially if there were no other prospects.

bella84 likes this.
  28. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 4, 2018

Since I am the one who started this thread, I might as well update. I received an email that my name was being recommended at this school I interviewed at which is 40 miles away. I was excited and was going to take it. This was 3 weeks ago. I called HR. They have had a lot of staff out of the office and are closed for an entire week. I still have not received my official offer but was told they are behind. Since then I received an official offer from a school that is only 10 miles away! I took that one. So I will not be working at that school that is so far away. Seriously, that other district is going to lose candidates by how long it is taking to extend offers. They lost me...

29. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 5, 2018

Congrats on both offers! What will you be teaching next year?

30. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 5, 2018

English co-teacher (exactly what I have been wanting) I don't know yet if I will have a few resource classes.

31. mamaotter

mamaotter Rookie

Jul 5, 2018

Congratulations! It sounds like an excellent fit for you!

To my surprise, I ended up having two interviews today. The first school is a 10-12 school. At the end, he asked me if I would consider their freshman center, and I said maybe. He must have called the other principal after I left because I got a call while I was having lunch, still in the area. I ended up meeting the other principal at a Starbucks in a nearby town for a second interview! I have a strong feeling that he will offer me the job tomorrow, based on several things he said.

I was hesitant about a 90 minute drive, and I still am a bit. However, after meeting both principals and talking about their schools, that is the only hesitation I have. I'd be 100% on board with either one if not for the drive. In fact, I like these schools better than most of the others I've interviewed with that are much closer to home. So after talking with my family, we've agreed that if I am offered one of those positions, I'll accept it.

32. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 5, 2018

90 minutes one way?! No way. That is not really realistic. Think about the gas money, days when it is storming or freezing outside, days when you feel sick and having to drive that much.

33. mamaotter

mamaotter Rookie

Jul 5, 2018

It's not that much farther than an hour, and I actually like driving. If you consider that I've not been working at all (just graduated), then even with the gas money, I'll have a lot more money than I would without the job. The area where I live has an overabundance of teachers looking for jobs this year because a large school system let go around 200 teachers. I can do anything for a year, including driving an hour and a half to work. Two thirds of the drive is interstate or four lane highway, so it's actually a pretty easy drive. I have considered all of these things and more. Everyone has a different limit for what is realistic for them. This is within mine.

dgpiaffeteach likes this.
  34. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 5, 2018

You say you can do it for a year. Would you move closer to the school after the first year, or would you look for a new job? I’m just assuming that you’re living at home with your family/parents for the time being. Is that right? I’m sure that also helps to ease the burden of the cost of gas.

35. mamaotter

mamaotter Rookie

Jul 6, 2018

Possibly. Of course, I'd prefer to work closer to home. However, if I like this school as much as I think I will, it might balance the drive enough to stay there longer than a year. There is a school in my area that I would love to work for. I had an excellent interview with them (the principal's words), but they chose someone else for the position. I plan to keep an eye on that school for future openings.

Might it make a difference in others' reactions to know that I'm a 46 year old married mother of three, and this is my second career? I am not being naive, I am well aware of what I am capable of and willing to do. There has been much discussion with my husband and children over how things would work if I am offered and accept a job that far away. I am truly making an informed decision.

I'm editing to add that my degree is an MEd, so I'm also starting out on a higher pay scale than many first year teachers. That makes a difference as well.

bella84 likes this.
  36. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 6, 2018

I wouldn't be opposed, though it's not ideal. It depends on other factors.

37. flairpen

flairpen Rookie

Jul 9, 2018

When I was trying to get a teaching job, I applied anywhere that would be within a 45 minute drive each way because job openings are so rare in my area. I think I could have done it for a year because it would've been a job. However, I live really close to my school and am even wondering if I could manage living 10 minutes away because I'm not a morning person and love my sleep too much.