Would you drive an hour for a new job?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Preschool0929, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 21, 2016

I work in the 2nd largest district in my state. I'm well paid and I love my school and my grade level team. However, my self contained classroom is getting more and more difficult with less support from the district and,after having a baby this year, I'm ready to hang up my teaching hat and move into an administrative position. I applied for 2 admin positions within my district (1 at my school) and was told by my principal that they felt I was too valuable as a teacher and didn't want to lose me because it's difficult to find a mod/sev teacher.

Anyways...there's a smaller district (very rural) about 1 hour away that is hiring for a similar admin position and I have an interview Thursday. Now I'm just second guessing myself. My school is 10 minutes away. Should I really drive an hour for a new district/position that I might not like?

Arghhhh I can't decide!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2016

No, especially with a new baby.

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    otterpop likes this.
  5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 21, 2016

Are you willing to spend an extra hour and 40 minutes away from your baby per day? That seems like a lot for a new mom. I might consider it because I assume a rural drive would be no traffic. I currently commute 25-30 minutes, but almost all of that is in bumper to bumper traffic. I applied for a rural position last time I was interviewing that was around 50 minutes away and it seemed like a really nice place to work. I didn't get the job (was told I was the 2nd choice), so it ended up being a moot point but I probably would have taken it. I'm not a mom though!

I don't understand why schools do this. Now you are interviewing in other districts and they may lose you all together. One of our fabulous classroom teachers applied for our ELL job at the end of this past school year. I'm a sped teacher and she has been invaluable to me because she's on our RtI team and really understands the process (which is rare)and works to help other classroom teachers. We have a lot of behavior issues, especially in her grade level, and she was just burnt out and wanted to move into a different role. My P told her she couldn't move her because she didn't want to lose her as a classroom teacher. Of course, she started applying for ELL jobs and has now been hired in another district as an ELL teacher, which is a huge loss for our school all because my admin was being stubborn.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 21, 2016

I had a commute almost that long when my oldest was born. I didn't know any different, so it worked fine. I switched districts to a 10 minute commute before my youngest was born. Honestly? I don't feel like I had that much more time with her because my commute was shorter. Instead, I brought less work home because I stayed at school longer since my commute was shorter. My point is, you can make this work if the job feels right. I would make sure to ask what type of evening hours are expected for admin though. With that long of a commute, you can't really run home before family nights, art shows, PTO meetings, etc.

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 21, 2016

I would not consider a one hour commute. However, I would consider moving for a job I wanted. Is this an option for you?

8. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 21, 2016

Remember your daycare could be near the school so your child would ride with you every day.

2ndTimeAround and otterpop like this.
  9. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 21, 2016

If it made me less stressed, I would.
    As a matter of fact, I do ;) my commute is about 2 1/2 - 3 hours roundtrip, depending on traffic. I had a baby a year ago, I didn't have any problems with a commute and a baby. However, we are lucky that her dad can stay home with her, so that helps.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 21, 2016

Personally, I would never consider an hour-long commute. I'm good with 8-10 minutes!

11. ha336

ha336 Rookie

Jun 21, 2016

I'm not a mom, but I commute an hour. For me, it's a great trade-off. I am out of the city, in a very rural area with a very small class size and an incredibly personal support system of fellow teachers and administration. I would consider your overall well-being; who knows, the drive may help you to decompress on the way home so you can really just enjoy your family once you get there!

12. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2016

This is what I did and I brought the kids to my school. 40 minute commute. Worked for us. Loved the conversations we had. One thing to consider if you bring your child is snacking/breakfast in the car.

13. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 21, 2016

Cuisine a la car? :)

Rabbitt likes this.
  14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2016

I feel exactly the same way. The only thing that would change my mind may be the opportunity to work again with the principal who is leaving us at the end of this school year.

15. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 21, 2016

I left my last district that I loved because of my long commute with my young children. For an admin position, I will most definitely be willing to travel a little bit more than my current 10 minutes but definitely not an hour or more with traffic. I lost too much time at night with my kids and husband.

16. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 21, 2016

Really, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer.

I quit my job last year at a terrible school where I had a 3 minute commute in order work at a great school that was a 45-60 minute commute each way. To be fair, when I took the job, I knew I'd move closer eventually.

I do not like to waste time in a car, but it was an excellent choice for me. I was much happier, even with the longer commute. There are very few circumstances that would make me stay at an awful school. That said, wanting to spend more time with a baby (if I had one) might be one of them.

17. ABC123

ABC123 Companion

Jun 21, 2016

I use to drive a lot further than I do now. I have a 15-20 minute commute the last 4 yrs, depending on the weather and traffic....its mostly getting behind school buses:rolleyes: but its always been doable. Its a nice situation im in now, but if something better came along, that in the long run would make me happier..i would go for it.

Have the interview, you never know in life what could happen.

Good Luck!

18. PositivelyAutism

PositivelyAutism Rookie

Jun 29, 2016

I once worked at a school at was between and hour and an hour and a half drive each way (mainly because of traffic). It was tough, especially since my car didn't have air conditioning at the time, and I would just be sitting in traffic barely moving for 45 minutes!

Can you talk to your district about getting more support? If they don't want to lose you as a teacher, is there anything they are willing to do to help you stay?

19. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 29, 2016

I applied for an admin position at my last school and they told me the same thing- they liked me in the classroom.
    So I left and found a different school, one who wants us to move up in our careers