Would you/do you...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by waterfall, Nov 26, 2011.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Nov 26, 2011

Eat at resteraunts alone? I saw this in another thread and didn't want to hijack. Is this something you're comfortable with or something you do? Is it out of necessity (you're out and need something to eat), or something you actually do for fun?

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 26, 2011

I do. Sometimes I treat myself to a day out. I enjoy being by myself. I will go to a restaurant my DH hates.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 26, 2011

If I am out by myself, I eat by myself. I don't purposely just pick a restaurant and go to it by myself, as much as it is a functionality of already being out and doing other things (whether for pleasure or errands). The only exception to that is when I want to study and I use those places with Wifi. Then I do plan to go to that restaurant only but that is still to suit a purpose.

Does it bother me? Not at all.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 26, 2011

I have on days I had professional development in a different town and didn't know anyone.

As a rule, I don't eat out alone very often.

I will go to the movies alone if I want to go and no one else is available or if I'm the only one who wants to see it.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 26, 2011

:) I started a thread long ago about what types of things we would do by ourselves. I've only dined out back in my retail working days when I'd go eat lunch in the food court or something casual like that during a lunch break, but I've never dined out for dinner alone. I'd do it if I had to, but I'd rather not.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 26, 2011

I am pretty much never alone. (OK, right now, at 4:56 am, I'm the only one awake. But if I were to go upstairs and put on the kettle for a cup of tea, it would wake the dog who would wake up Peter.) The only meals I've had out alone have been fast food places on the run.

But if I WERE in a position to go to a nice restaurant, sure I would go alone. I'm not going to deny myself a nice meal simply for the lack of company. To be honest, though, I would probably tend to go to one where the focus is on something rather than the food-- where there's some sort of entertainment. If I'm eating home alone, I grab a book or the paper to read; I would feel kind of at a loss, sitting there, waiting for my dinner to arrive, with nothing to do.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 26, 2011

My Kindle is always in my purse and I often dine alone. It's not unusual to see several people dining alone. I place my order, then read while I wait.

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 26, 2011

Since I don't cook and I am single, I go out to eat alone quite often. I don't mind going to fancy restaurants, family restaurants, or any kind of restaurant alone if the food and service is good. Most of my "regular" haunts all know me, so that makes it even better.

There is nothing wrong with eating alone in a restaurant. I see many dinners eat alone.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 26, 2011

I don't eat out often, and most always my husband is with me, but I don't care at all to pop in somewhere alone.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 26, 2011

Most I'll do is drive thru, and than I'm eating in my car, usually on the way to class.

12. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Nov 26, 2011

I've eaten at some very nice places alone and I don't feel weirded out by it. I find it quite nice :)

13. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 26, 2011

I'm busy a lot, have a very tight knit group of friends, so getting a breather once in a while is actually pretty amazing.

I dine out a lot, and on the occasion I do it by myself. What I'll normally do is look for a place that I've never been before and have a full dinner, wine and everything. Most of the time I'll break out a book to keep me company.

I don't feel awkward at all. My life can be pretty hectic so I don't mind having a little me time.

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 26, 2011

I have dined alone. I wanted to eat out and didn't have anyone ask to tag alone, so ....

15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Nov 26, 2011

Interesting that so many people do this! I think I'd feel very awkard. I have some friends that I go out to eat with fairly frequently, so I'm not usually wanting to go somewhere and have no one to go with. However, anywhere to shop where I live is pretty far away (nearest place is an outlet mall about 50 minutes away if traffic/weather is good) and I really prefer to shop by myself if I'm doing "serious" shopping. I like to move at my own pace and not worry about holding someone else up. So sometimes I end up out shopping and need something to eat. The closest I've ever come to eating alone in a sit down resteraunt was a chipotle, which is pretty informal since it's not like you have a waiter or anything. I was okay with it, but I can't say I really enjoyed it. There's a resteraunt I really like out by the outlets and it's crossed my mind that maybe I could just go there by myself while shopping, but I never end up doing it. I could pull out a book while waiting, but I wouldn't like to try to read while actually eating, and I'd feel awkward just sitting there eating by myself in a resteraunt. Even at home if I'm eating alone I generally eat during one of my shows so I have something to do other than just sit there and eat.

16. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Nov 26, 2011

I travelled for work for almost 14 years. At first I hated it but then I found I could be very productive during this time. I would bring a book to read, laptop for work, or paperwork. I have eaten at almost every type of resturant by myself including in the UK.
    My only issues is when I was younger (straight out of college) I learned not to eat at the bar during happy hour times. Some drunk men can not take a hint, even if I would not pull my nose out of a book to talk to them!!!

17. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 26, 2011

I'm the exact same way. While I'm eating I have to be doing something, like talking or watching TV or reading a book. I feel awkward if I'm just eating and staring into space, hah. That's when I usually get out something to do, if I am eating alone.

18. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Nov 27, 2011

That's funny waterfall to think of feeling awkward at a Chipotle :) - I definitely eat out by myself all the time, but that's because I usually need to get food and am not near somewhere where I can cook. I think one thing that has made it easier on everyone is the smartphone - now, you can pull out an iphone and feel comfortable. Heck, so many times now I see people actually out with other people STILL just sitting their typing on their phones. Pretty ridiculous, actually, but definitely has established a new norm.

It's funny, though - some people definitely seem very awkward when they dine alone - people just sitting there looking around with nothing to occupy them, or people who seem to be going out to really GO OUT by themselves - with a bottle of wine, book, etc. That seems weird to me, still, but people who just seem to be functionally eating by themselves because they need food doesn't seem weird to me.

A lot of times I will also sit at the bar if I'm just by myself - seems a bit more natural that way.