Would You do it?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by tinytotsteacher, Apr 11, 2010.

1. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Apr 11, 2010

I received a letter in the mail from my son's school district's Athletic Booster Club. I am not a member, and I am employed by a different district in a different state. This letter states that my husband and I are scheduled to work the concession stand at a baseball game on a certain date and specific time. We were never asked if we would even be interested, the club volunteered every family who has a child in the spring high school sports. My son is involved in sports as was his brother who graduated several years ago. This is a first. Not only are we required to find a couple to replace us if we can't work, the letter has no contacts! There wasn't even a return address on the envelope.

What would you do?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2010

EEK. This happens in my town's rec program but I've never seen it in a school program. What happens if you can't do it and don't have a replacement lined up?

4. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Apr 11, 2010

Are there any consequences that you know of? If this is the first that you've heard of this and NO contact info, I might just not show. They might be more careful about arrangements and scheduling in the future if parents don't show.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2010

I would throw it away and pretend I never saw it.

6. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 11, 2010

I would contact the school and make them aware of the letter you received and ask for the contact info of whoever is in charge of this. Then I would call that person and let them know you are not a member of the booster club and will not be manning a concession booth. If they question it, or request you find a replacement, I would point out that you didn't vollunter to start with and that you do not have time to fill their time slots for them. Moreover, I would be tempted to mention that when you are able to go to the games, you go to watch your son play and spend time with your family and please do not put my name down for something like this in the future. I HATE when people sugn you up for stuff and then make it your problem when you aren't available!!

7. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 11, 2010

No.

But first I'd make sure my son wasn't aware of this in advance/hadn't volunteered me, and that none of the required papers to participate in sports had a note saying parents were required to help out

8. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Apr 11, 2010

I am the opposite and would go if you can. No reason to punish them because they did not think this through. I would talk to some of the other parents and see who is in charge and mention to them that the mailing was very confusing. That way you are getting the message across but still helping out.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2010

In our school each sport is assigned certain days to work the snackbar. The sport gets a good sized percentage for working the snackbar so we fight over the right to do it. Also, they are the one who fund all the sports (uniforms, money for officials, etc.) so it is to everyone's advantage to help out - they more money they earn - the more everyone gets and vice versa. I guess I just consider it as part of my civic responsibility as a parent of a student athlete. A couple of hours out of my life isn't going to kill me.

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2010

I've worked enough of them to last a lifetime. I would contact the school, find out who is in charge of scheduling, and tell them I have plans (if indeed I did). If not, and it's not during your son's game, then I'd go, (after contacting them about their high-handed way of handling things.)

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2010

No.

There is a right way and wrong way to handle such things. Surprising you with a letter mandating a specific date and time is not the right way. It is beyond rude. Things of this nature must be discussed.

My mother received an automated call from my brother's coach a few years ago informing her she would be doing something similar for the team, which was unreasonable for a number of reasons. Last year, she also received a letter from the head mother of the project graduation committee explaining that they need each parent to contribue $100 towards the event. I cannot even begin to express how much money that is to my parents. Impossible.

I'm, of course, not against lending a helping hand. But I want to at least pretend like we're all adults and discuss and plan and strategize.

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 11, 2010

I've spent a lot of time in the concession stand, you'll have a good time, go ahead and volunteer. Someone who sent the note is a desparate volunteer too, I've been on the scheduling end and was never quite this bold but you've got to remember, the person who sent this is trying to be efficient as possible. It's for the kids.

13. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2010

Well I do agree with being a team player, a few hours is not going to kill you but it was not present in the right way...unless A. Your son volunteered you (not sure how old he is) or B. It was written in the forms you signed at sign up that they were adding that mandate this year to offset cost.(I know my nephews team requires that and my sister was caught offguard last year-but it was in the papers that she didnt read)

Im sure they are not making a million dollars off of this league and just like you need volunteers from your students parents your sons league needs you!

I say go into it with a positive attitude!

14. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 11, 2010

I would work. Our booster club is wonderful to our children. Our football booster club purchases food for the boys three times a week and provides food for camp. They also buy each boy a poster with their football picture on it. The boys get clothing at different time throughout the year.

Our FFA booster club pays for all of the motels for out of town competitions for the students on the judging teams. It also hosts the banquet and other parties through out the year.

I feel that every parent should do what they can to help and one night of concession stand is not a big deal. What normally happens at the football is that if you are at a meeting then you are asked to sign up. Then the signup is posted in the locker room for the boys to sign up parents that aren't at meetings. Then the concession stand coordinator calls everyone. All parents are required to work at least one concession stand or t-shirt hut a year. We are told that at the beginning. Also every family is asked to join. The fee is $10 per family. The underarmor that my kid gets is worth 5 times that.

15. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Apr 12, 2010

"No reason to punish them because they did not think this through."

I have a hard time swallowing this statement. Because a bunch of adults didn't think through volunteering other adults for something, the poster is responsible??? Unless they signed up for this, if it was in the papers signing up their child for a sport, this is not fair.

It would be one thing if the parents volunteered themselves. Great! I, too, feel that the parents should help out if possible, to support their kids in sports. That said, they should not *be* volunteered for something.

But I disagree whole-heartedly with the quote at the beginning of my post.

16. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Apr 12, 2010

At our HS, if your child plays a sport or is in the band then you will be asked to help with concessions. This is true whether one is an active member of the Booster Club or not. We were given a chance to sign up for games. If someone didn't sign up then they were notified of a game to work.

17. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 12, 2010

We had the same type of deal as ecsmom when my son was in HS band. They rotated it and some people didn't mind working and others never gave a minute. I felt my husband and I could support the band by giving a few hours here and there. I don't agree with the way it was done in the OP case, especially with no contact info., but I think everyone needs to contribute in some way. Did you volunteer when your other son was involved in athletics?

18. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Apr 12, 2010

What I meant was that this is very common for most athletic clubs and it would be a shame to refuse to volunteer just because one person didn't handle the situation correctly. Find out what happened, tell them that they went about it wrong and they need to fix it for next year and volunteer. If every parent refused to volunteer just because it was asked wrong then the kids would be the one to suffer.

19. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Apr 12, 2010

When my older son was in baseball, the Booster Club and kids ran the concession stand. We don't have to sign our kids up for sports, they go out for the team, and any kid who shows up for the first practice, gets to be on it regardless. We are a small school with the average graduating class size of 50. My son didn't volunter us either, and he is a sophmore. The last thing he wants is his parents volunteering at school events! He doesn't care if we show, he also feels the Booster's were wrong in their tactics.