Would You Do It All Over Again?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by isabunny, May 4, 2013.

1. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

May 4, 2013

I have seen posts on here asking what you would do as a dream second job, or what type of job you would do as a teacher who wants to move into another profession.

My question is "Would you do all it all over again if you had a choice? Would you go through the required schooling, many state teacher tests, TPA's (for those states that have them), masters programs, and of course the crazy in-and-outs of the current state of classroom teaching?" I am asking, because I think I might have to go through another teacher education program to get hired in my state (two more years of school). I currently have roughly 5 1/2 years of college education. I keep going back and forth asking myself if I want to do it all over again (another 2 years of school for a second BA).

I have researched many other professions, but have only wanted to be a teacher. I feel like I am stuck on a hamster wheel, making no progress at all. I make up my mind to go back to college, but then start looking around at all the unhappy teachers and reading the blogs. That and my first teaching experience change my mind. But I can't think of any other job that suits me, as well as, teaching. It's just so hard to let it go. Of course I am on ATOZ all the time peeking into the current events. To let it go, or to jump on board? That is the question....

How many of you would be completely thrilled and overjoyed to jump through the hoops of becoming a teacher all over again?

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 4, 2013

I would do it all over in a heartbeat. Not everything is sunshine and roses, but I don't think there's any job out there that is perfect. The truth is, I love teaching and would do it all over again.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 4, 2013

For sure. It's been a rocky road, but I'm happy where I'm at.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 4, 2013

There are those "fantasy" careers I have such as being an Egyptologist and then the more realistic directions I'd enjoy such as a grocery store manager. With my more realistic ideas, either there is virtually no pay (such as animal rescue work, which I guess makes it not very realistic) or something as dreadful as weekends in the grocery sector. Oh, how I love my weekends. Do I earn what I feel I should for my education and the work I do? No. I'm I thrilled with every aspect of education? Heck no. But I'm in a pretty happy place right now and I have to say it's nice to not be constantly daydreaming of other careers and directions. So the answer is yes, I'd do it again.

6. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 4, 2013

I have no regrets. I love my job and only have great feelings and memories of the last 33 years. I might have quit after 20 years and gotten a nursing degree to make more and have two retirements but that was just an idea.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 4, 2013

I still love what I do...even on the tough days.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 4, 2013

I would most definitely do it over again.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 4, 2013

Well, I'm only in my first year so I may not be fully qualified to respond to this - but yes, I absolutely would. I have loved this year because I've felt I was meant to be an elementary teacher for years now, and after doubts through my credential program and student teaching, this year I found out that I was right. It's a great feeling to be doing what I love and what I feel I am meant to do.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 4, 2013

This got me thinking. Our state conducted a big survey for all educators in 2011 and again just recently. It's an anonymous way to express opinions on various teaching conditions and factors. I remember answering in 2011 the question about my five year plan...options included staying where you are in the same position, changing positions within the school, moving schools, and leaving teching entirely. I answered that I would be leaving teaching entirely. This year I was able to provide a different response and I'm very happy about that. :)

11. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 4, 2013

Absolutely. It was a great starter career. Now I can move on to something that I will enjoy the day to day activities of more and be able to make more money to retire sooner.

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 4, 2013

Yep, yep, yep.
    Would do it again in a heartbeat.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 4, 2013

Maybe. This is a second career for me. I've enjoyed my job but if things continue down the path they are going, I might be going back to the first.

I have actively campaigned to get a few young women to change their career plans - away from teaching. I can't recommend it to those that I love.

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 4, 2013

I understand the reasoning behind this - but I, for one, am extremely happy I didn't listen to the naysayers. I had a very good idea of the reality because my mom is a teacher, and I kept pressing forward, despite the warnings people gave me. I'm SO glad I did.

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 4, 2013

Absolutely. I love what I do! I can't imagine doing anything else this passionately.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 4, 2013

Probably not. It is near impossible to get a job in my home state. I relocated, but every family member is 700 miles or more away. I have been on a pay freeze for 5 years, and the cost of living is very high where I am. (Rent for a 1 bedroom is $800-900. I barely make $30,000 after 6 years.) I'm tired of working a second job to make ends meet- and sometime they STILL don't meet. I'm exhausted. So, if I knew that I'd have to work 25 hours PT as well as teach at the age of 30 just to eat, I would have chosen something else.
    I LOVE what I do, and I can even handle all the stupid stuff that comes with it. I can't handle working 80-100 hours a week anymore.

17. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

May 4, 2013

If I knew then what I know now, not a chance.

Aside from all the elements that the profession has evolved (or should that be "devolved?") into, if I knew that the only districts you could land positions in around here were the dead end districts, I would've went in a different direction.
    :(

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 4, 2013

Unequivocally YES.

19. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 4, 2013

Apart from a small few members on this site, I think most would answer yes. Not to devalue those few, but I think most individuals who spend time on a teaching forum are really into teaching.

20. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 4, 2013

Yes...the students make it worth it. I think I would spend less time worrying about thankless parents and more time about the children my first year. This profession requires you to keep looking forward.

21. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 4, 2013

These are the things that REALLY **** me off. I work with a lady that lives month to month and lives very frugally after 10 years makes like what a HS grad makes most places. To me this is the ultimate disrespect of teachers. btw she is a GREAT teacher in kindergarten. Add to that our insurance is terrible and she is still paying for a colonoscopy a year later.

22. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 4, 2013

So many things have gone through my head as I've read everyone's responses.

I won't be long-winded, so I'll give the simple answer: Y.E.S.!!!

I can't see myself doing anything else (excpet for being a TV news reporter)!!! :lol:

23. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 4, 2013

Honestly, no. I know I'm a great teacher. I've always gotten incredible data out of my students and it's clearly what I'm meant to be doing. However 90% of my job is dealing with other BS and I think it will only get worse as the years go on. Hopefully I'll end up with a better administration next year, which I know can make a big difference, and hopefully I'll feel differently...but the thought of doing this for another 30 years is absolutely terrifying! I literally lost sleep worrying about our test scores all year, and then after the test I had anxiety dreams almost nightly about getting the scores back, because my entire career is tied to those stupid scores. Thankfully, we just got them back about a week ago and mine were excellent...but that only holds me for one year. It will be the same thing all over again next year. I know it would be different if I worked in a wealthier districts where good scores were easy to come by, but the job market is too tough to get into any of those districts.

24. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 5, 2013

This makes me so sad. I don't understand how anyone can teach under that kind of pressure. It also means that great teachers will be fleeing low income schools! CA may be FAR from perfect as far as public education goes, but at least we haven't gotten quite as intense as many states in terms of evaluations/merit pay, etc being completely tied to test scores - at least, not in the schools and districts I have personal knowledge of. At my charter school, administration has actually explicitly stated that they will never tie pay or benefits of any kind (monetary or otherwise) to test scores. That was a relief for me to hear, even though I don't teach a tested grade.

25. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

May 5, 2013

My heart and soul say yes,yes,yes.
    My mind tells me no,no,no.

26. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

May 5, 2013

This is exactly how I feel! My heart wants to teach, but my mind keeps saying to forget about it and move on. Posts, especially dealing with Emotional Behavior Deisturbance, make me cringe. I can't imagine dealing with that everyday again. I went in to observe a couple of local school teachers recently, just to see what is currently happening. They are both long time teachers in a highly regarded school. Both told me they have never worked such long hours as they are currently at least 12 hour days at the school, with most days being more. All preps are taken with meetings, there is a ton of data collection and entry, trainings, and more meetings. Then they were talking about district meetings where they have fast exit tables set up. They tell the teachers that they can exit out of their contracts at the meeting if they don't want to implement changes. Education is so confusing right now'

27. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 5, 2013

If I am honest with myself, this.

The last few years have been so stressful with threats of my program closing, money issues, administrative crap (can I say that?), really challenging kids, etc. that I go home stressed, collapse, and am grumpy from the worry. I feel like I work so hard, but I am not having as much fun anymore. I worry 10 more years like this is going to be really bad for my health - mentally and physically.

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 5, 2013

I have a Mastes in Special Ed & working on a 2nd in Communication Disorders & Sciences now. Honestly, I would have gone to school for the Comm Dis & Sci MUCH earlier in life. I would have been a working SLP (speech-lang pathologist) for roughly 13 yrs now if I I gone to school for it right after graduating from high school.

Regarding my dream career if there were an abundance of jobs in the field in my area, which I've started a thread on this topic before, I'd study Anthropology.

Now I always had getting a PhD in the back of my mind, but after this school year I'm going through now, I'm so sick of school & tests & studying, it's not even funny. I'm completely through after I graduate this time!

29. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 5, 2013

Ms. I, I laughed a little bit when I read your last paragraph. A few years ago I was wrapping up my graduate degree and someone from another University and approached me and wanted me to work on their team and was willing to pay for my schooling to get my Ph.D., etc. I couldn't do it. I was so burn out from school.

30. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 5, 2013

Yes I would do it all over again. The bs drives me crazy and I hated the state tests when I was in those grades, but I love my kids and I know how much I love what I do.

I do understand why people would say no, but at the same time, if my son ever decides he wants to be a teacher (he currently says he wants to be a firefighter, but he's 2.5 so he has time!), I will never tell him no. I want him to love whatever he does as much as I do.

31. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 5, 2013

There are times I joke about leaving and finding a job at Lowe's, but the next day, I load up and head back to my classroom. I truly can't imagine another life, not teaching. Even with the bs, the ever changing laws, the evaluations....it's what I love. I can't get past the thought that for my last evaluation, I didn't pour over the COMPASS rubric to make sure my plans met it, I didn't stay up for hours planning my questions, I didn't practice with my kids before, I just taught a lesson I wanted to teach and "forgot" that my principal was there. I just was me and taught like I love to do. My principal has told everyone what a phenomenal lesson it was and how she wants me to do something similar so that others can come watch. That means if I put all the negative aside, it's still the job I love and honestly, what I think I was meant to do. I still hold my head high when I tell others I'm a teacher.

32. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

May 5, 2013

I'm not sure...I wouldn't suggest it to anyone who would have to go into serious debt for it, i.e., over $35-40K.

I have no regrets about getting a B.A. degree in a language, but I have questioned the B.S. in Early Childhood Ed in retrospect quite a bit. Also, while I love what I do and I know I'm good at it, I think that I would love other careers as well.

A good friend of mine is a nurse practitioner and the starting wage was more than twice my salary, 4 days a week w/weekends off. I'm sure it is difficult, but I think if I could go back I'd also look into nursing careers.

33. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Comrade

May 5, 2013

Yes I would do it again. I don't see myself doing anything else. I may not work as a teacher forever, but I will probably always have a job working with people with special needs.

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 5, 2013

I agree! At this point, even if someone was paying for my entire doctoral program, I wouldn't do it!

35. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

May 5, 2013

The only job I could ever see myself taking over teaching is being a captain on The Jungle Cruise at Disneyland.

I imagine that would not pay the bills or have quite the life-changing impact of teaching though.

36. teach42

teach42 Comrade

May 6, 2013

Absolutely not. I like teaching itself but not the bs we have to deal with everyday. From all these regulations that are constantly changing to all the politics, incompetent admin, lack of support from parents, etc. I could just go on an on.