Would you date another teacher?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by PetrMishikoff, May 7, 2017.

1. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Aug 7, 2017

That's the part I've always feared. About 6 years back I had a breakup with another teacher I worked with. Things were hard for several months but her and I moved on.

2. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 8, 2017

There were two teachers dating who had classrooms across the hall from each other. It did not end well.

MathGuy82 and futuremathsprof like this.
  3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 8, 2017

I agree. It also can happen in any place of work, not just schools. A friend of mine who worked in HR dated and actually lived with a guy she worked with. When they broke up she quit and moved 4 hours away!

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 9, 2017

I suspect that work place romances are discouraged almost across the board, yet there is a certain logic to bonding with someone who shares the same trials and tribulations on a daily basis. I have known married coworkers, divorced coworkers, cheating coworkers, and coworkers so oblivious they wouldn't be aware if coworkers were involved. I worked with my husband (not teaching) for a number of years, and although we have a solid marriage overall, there was that old problem of "well, I didn't do it, so you must have been the one." The one thing I took from those years was to advocate for myself when I knew I was right, be gracious and accept blame if I could have been at fault, and never accuse hubby even when I knew he was wrong. In the long run, we both learned to accept our shortcomings, withhold assigning blame (it wasn't useful), and turn loose of ill will - we were and we are a team. We have different skill sets, which, when combined, make us awesome - we balance each other. I think if he was a teacher who I met on the job, I would still end up married to him. As it was, I was the teacher in a college lab, and he was a student who went through my course. His room-mate thought we might be a match, and set us up a year later. I sometimes wish that he had a better feel for my days, because I do know exactly how his days play out, but he has never seen me teach. Can I live with some separation of experiences and lack of common ground? Yes, but I can see where the allure of that sharing would be hard to ignore.

I would say that if there is going to be dating of a coworker, separate living quarters would be playing it safe, just in case things don't turn out as planned. :rolleyes:

MathGuy82 likes this.
  5. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Aug 11, 2017

I guess it's always a risk, but then everybody has a risk to take if there is a breakup. If people can be sound and logical and agree to breakup on good terms, it's fine. However, if someone takes it the wrong way, it's not good. The girl I broke up with then was another teacher that tried to forcefully to me to do things there were not required and tried to talk bad about me to everyone there. Everybody got that it was a breakup. However, I don't think there is really a good solution. It's always a risk and no one knows how one side of the relationship will react.

6. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2017

No I wouldn't date another teacher just in case my wife found out:dizzy:

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2017

:rofl:

8. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Aug 28, 2017

Count me among the "married to a teacher" crowd; in fact, my wife and I teach in the same district. We really don't talk about work too much at home aside from venting about students or parents or coworkers, but I assume all couples do that!

9. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Sep 10, 2017

I know of two teachers in the same district who were married, are now divorced, and now he's seeing another teacher in the district.
    Honestly....I can see the merits of dating someone on the same vacation schedule who understands the demands of the job, but there's an old saying, "Don't (slang word for poop) where you eat." It would have to be someone who couldn't cause problems for me at work and who I wouldn't run into again if things went South.

10. rpan

rpan Cohort

Sep 11, 2017

I wouldn't want to date anyone in my place of work. When things end badly, you are already nursing a broken heart in your personal life, but then to have to come to school and see the ex and have a constant reminder of how broken your heart is, or avoid the staff room or staff gatherings to avoid the ex etc; that's going to feel so horrible. Work can be a respite when your personal life is turbulent and vice versa. When you mix the two worlds, your life will either be doubly sweet or doubly awful. Im willing to give up doubly sweet if it means I don't have to feel doubly awful.

11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 4, 2017

Husband has pondered going for his teaching license...

If he did, this would be merely a drop in a bucket. We have so many teacher couples in our neighborhood.

12. autumnbrooks

autumnbrooks Rookie

Oct 6, 2017

Engaged to a teacher as well--it's great, in my opinion. You always have someone who's obligated to listen to your lesson ideas and qualified to give you some meaningful feedback :)

13. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Oct 8, 2017

I'd only date another teacher if she was okay with tobacco smoking.

14. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Oct 8, 2017

MathGuy82, recently your posts have been very inappropriate, especially the one about your flatulence problem. Please refrain from writing these type of posts. It’s quite disgusting.

czacza likes this.
  15. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2017

Flatulence near a naked flame could be dangerous!:rolleyes: