Would you consider an online Doctorate?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by AlwaysAttend, Dec 30, 2017.

1. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 30, 2017

Good luck!! I do see the school is based in Indiana. Maybe Amy can provide some guidance.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 30, 2017

Trust me, I read an anti charter blog that was railing against the govenor bringing the school in from Illinois because they didn’t want it competing with public universities.

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 30, 2017

Hahaha! Amy loves Indiana! She can’t get enough of that state.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2017

I did my MA degree online at an open enrollment, bottom tier university that no one in my area has heard of (it is attached to a brick and mortar school, but it's in another state). My only motivation for getting it was financial; my district is constantly freezing experience step pay but always pays "lane raises" for getting additional graduate credits or additional degrees. Basically, it was the only way for me to get a significant raise.

It was about half the price of attending one of our respected local universities, and I'm sure it was significantly less work too. My classes were only 5 weeks long and with the exception of 1-2 tougher courses, I never spent more than 2-3 hours per week on my coursework. I didn't think lack of "name recognition" would bother me as much as it did, considering my motives for getting the degree in the first place. It does really bother me a lot that I can't really be proud of my MA degree and kind of feel like I "bought it." I didn't even really tell anyone when I graduated.

In the end, it probably would have been stupid to spend significantly more time and money on a better school, and I did still get my raise...but where I got the degree definitely bothers me a lot more than I thought it would. I'm not saying you would feel the same way, but I feel embarrassed every time someone asks where I got my MA from. Getting an advanced degree should really be an accomplishment, and for me it just didn't feel like that considering where I went.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 30, 2017

Oh wow. My Masters degree program was very intensive even though I did it all online. Hey, at least you got a sweet raise out of it. And if it’s any consolation, from the reviews I read about ACE, students have to work hard so it’s no cake walk.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 31, 2017

I'm starting my EdD next semester at a local university, this last year I was working on my Ed Spec. I think you need to consider what you want to do with your degree. If it's a bump on the pay scale, that's one thing. If it's to teach at the university level or to do research that's something different. Next semester I am actually working on research with a couple of my professors. Can that be done with an online program?

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 31, 2017

I finished my Masters in Curriculum and Instruction through ACE in September of this year and I was happy with their program. Their cost is low and my district reimburses for online classes so that was good as well. I took more classes than I was able to get reimbursement for as I wanted to finish as quickly as possible and doubled up on classes in the summer. From start to finish it took 16 months for me for the 33 credits.

The five week classes are definitely brutal. I have no interest in an EdD, but if I did, I would probably do it through them. Now, what I cannot speak to at all is how it will look to a potential employer that you got your degree through them. But as far as the quality of the program, it's high, you'll work your butt off and really, really look forward to the one or two week long breaks between terms!

If you can swing it, take two classes at a time for the June/July and July/August terms so you have less to take during the school year (assuming you have free time in the summer and aren't working). Assuming all their courses run similarly, you'll be writing a paper every single week. Five papers in five weeks is no easy task. My papers were almost always 6-8 pages in length. Every week. Have I mentioned how glad I am to be finished?!! My goal with getting my Masters was to move up the salary scale and this program was the quickest and cheapest way to achieve this goal, and I did learn quite a bit in several of my classes as well. Some of the on-line lectures weren't the best, but most were good, and other than one professor, the rest were super responsive and helped lead good discussions on the online discussion board.

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 31, 2017

I have absolutely no interest teaching at a university. The pay is horrendous for adjunct and the days of professorships being a career path will be over in our lifetimes. Betweek MOOCS and Businesses starting up their own training programs, the days of an expensive liberal arts colleges will go the way of the dodo bird.

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 31, 2017

Were the 6-8 pg papers the required length?

10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 31, 2017

Oh yeah, I did adjuncting at a local community college a couple years back (only needed my masters). The pay really was an insult. It was a nice thing to throw on a resume, no doubt, but not at all worth it for the pay when compared to tutoring.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 31, 2017

The papers didn't necessarily have a required length. That's just how many pages it typically took me to fully answer whatever it was that the paper was about. I am not sure if that length was typical of everyone, though with the few people I messaged privately, I think it was pretty normal. Once in a while the papers were more like 3-4 pages, but that was not the norm for me at least. I would estimate between the readings, course lectures, studying for the weekly quiz, discussion post, and weekly paper that I spent 15-20 hours per week on classwork. I typically spent 1-2 hours each school day and then about 7-10 hours on the weekends. Perhaps I could have spent a bit less time but I wanted to get As in my classes and that's the amount of time I had to spend to achieve that. Also, some professors were pickier than others with APA rules so when I had the really picky ones the papers would take me longer to write.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  12. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 31, 2017

Thanks for the info

13. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 31, 2017

This both terrifies and encourages me haha. I'm literally in the middle of my application for ACE right now to start this month. I'm glad it's a good quality program though, and thankfully if I'm writing papers every week this is the year to do that since I'm doing reading intervention. I read other good reviews on FB and such too, but for some reason hearing someone here recommend it makes it seem better?

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 31, 2017

Good luck! I just put my transcripts in an envelope to mail Tuesday. Are you planning to start January 8th?

15. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 31, 2017

Thinking about it just to get it started before I chicken out. But since my parents offered to help pay for it (which is super nice!) I need to double check that it works for them.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  16. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 31, 2017

I can definitely recommend them. The price is good and the quality of the education is good as well. Some of the assignments are ridiculously detailed - I had a class where one of the weekly papers involved creating 15 different vocabulary stations each lasting 2-5 minutes for the students to rotate through. I would NEVER have created that many stations if not for the class! But it was a really good activity in the end so at least all the work was worth it. But if anyone thinks it'll be easy because it's online, nope, definitely not the case!

The toughest week for me was the peer review week which most classes have. I think of my 12 classes only 1 or 2 didn't have a peer review week. That week (usually week 3 or 4) your weekly paper is due on Wed instead of Sun night so that a random classmate can peer review it. Getting the paper more or less finished by Wed was rather rough. But other than the weekly quiz you can access all the material ahead of time so there's the possibility of working ahead if you know you have a busier than normal week coming up. I personally never managed to be more ahead than finishing out the week on Saturday instead of Sunday but I noticed some people would post for the discussion well before it was due.

Feel free to message me if you have questions.

17. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Dec 31, 2017

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  18. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 31, 2017

I wouldn’t do Ed Leadership which requires an internship through either personally. I’m only doing the Doctorate through ACE because I have all my certs and have made my local connections.

19. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 1, 2018

I agree with you. However, *most* people who get an Ed.D probably are doing it for career and salary advancement, not for research purposes. I’m sure there are plenty of people out there that goes this route, but the majority do it for different reasons.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    AlwaysAttend likes this.
  20. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 1, 2018

I recommend WGU because you can accelerate your courses. If you pass the final you pass the class and go on to the next one.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  21. MyMothersDaughtersBrother

MyMothersDaughtersBrother Rookie

Jan 1, 2018

I never got reimbursed!! Actually, I know this is besides the point, but I'll take opportunity to tell you I quit a job when they suddenly wanted me to travel to Rome, NYC, Egypt, etc. when the school went from traditional to IB. I'm sure they paid travel, but I didn't want to travel. Sorry, but I have been thinking about all the jobs I have quit. Well now I will have to even tell you that I was in a car pool for 75 miles out in the high desert (150 miles round trip) until the pool evaporated and I had to hitch-hike for a few months. I spent several nights in my classroom. Sorry, but now I am really going on with this tangent, but I got to tell you this. The school had housing, but in the middle of the term when the car pool dissolved, the housing was full. Members of the car-pool either got housing or pooled with someone else. I actually had to travel the furthest (30 miles) to get to the first person's house. Actually for this job, I was getting and out-of-town allowance or travel allowance or something like that. There was a lot of turn-over. I quit that job at the end of the semester.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  22. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 1, 2018

Congratulations and well done! You deserve that raise. :celebrate:

MsMar likes this.
  23. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 1, 2018

I checked and I get reimbursed (if approved) for 3 credits per year. I filled out the form.

24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2018

[​IMG]

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2018

Seems like you’ve had quite the history of car issues and job quitting.

26. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 2, 2018

I’m officially enrolled at ACE! I start Monday. :D

Getting a super early start on my 2018 goals apparently. This went from “maybe I’ll start this year” to “the year just started and so have I.”

27. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Jan 2, 2018

I have two coworkers who go online degrees. I know that the one degree was still pretty expensive and I'm not sure it was accredited. He did get the "pay bump", but after much fighting with the business office of our district. As to the other person, I think she got a cheaper degree. I am not sure if she got the pay increase or what. It only seemed to take her a year. However, neither has gotten a promotion from the degree.

I know that a few teachers who took sabbaticals and got a PHD, seemed to get promoted or switch positions quickly. I guess they had to after taking so much time off work.

I would love to get a PHD. However, I always have the fear that my district tries to "get rid of" people who make too much money. I think our tuition reimbursement is almost non-exist these days. I have also heard of coworkers who travel who also don't put in for travel costs because it is so low and such a hassle!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

28. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 2, 2018

Please let us know what the classes are like and the things you have to do in the program. I’m so excited for you!

(I am considering enrolling there myself, haha!)

29. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 2, 2018

All signed up as well. Happy to help nudge you in this direction. Unless you hate it. In that case, it’s all your fault.

futuremathsprof and miss-m like this.
  30. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 3, 2018

Found something I don’t like. You have to start with a 1 credit course. You can’t double up on courses until you finish that course. You also have to go in order.

Not a fan of these policies. I had a BA with a 3.9 gpa and my MA with a 4.0 and I’m being held back because I need to prove I can get a 3.0 on some intro course? Rediculous.

31. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jan 3, 2018

32. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 3, 2018

That’s America for you.

33. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 3, 2018

Unfortunately it’s probably because there are people trying for a cheap degree who didn’t do so well in past college experiences.

From looking over the syllabus for my first class I can tell this is gonna be a LOT of work. I’m saying goodbye to my already limited social life.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2018

You couldnt find that out before you signed up? Pays to do your research.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  35. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 3, 2018

Nowhere on website that I see. It wouldn’t have stopped me, I just don’t like it.

36. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 4, 2018

I appealed and was denied.

Thank you for your request to take Multiple Courses. I have reviewed your request in accordance to the standards published in ACE's Catalog. Unfortunately, I cannot approve your request due to one of the conditions not being met.

Please know that you must have a 3.0 GPA and have completed at least one course at ACE. Furthermore, there needs to be a course offering available that fits your program needs in the term of request. If you have met the academic standards outlined above, your request has been denied due to a course not being available or due to late submission of this request. Please know that requests to take multiple courses are due the Wednesday before a term start.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to us.

Sincerely,
    Your Registration Team
    American College of Education

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 4, 2018

I did my second MS degree at a brick & mortar's school's distance learning program, so it was just as rigorous. I never had to step foot on campus. As long as you know the credits will count of course, you're not a procrastinator, etc., then I'd try a remote doctoral program too.

miss-m and futuremathsprof like this.
  38. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Jan 6, 2018

If it's regionally accredited and it means a pay raise/promotion, yes.

39. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jan 6, 2018

40. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 6, 2018

I do not have 52K lol.