would you buy from...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by amyt682, Feb 29, 2008.

1. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Feb 29, 2008

i was reading about these women who took something they loved and made a business out of it...i love searching garage sales/thrift stores/clearance tables during the summer months for new treasures for my classroom...

would you buy or do you buy from a second hand/thrift store that specializes in educational,classroom materials and supplies...

and would you buy or do you buy ready made kits/centers/games/classroom sets of books, etc from places like ebay or craigs list...

just looking to see if there is a market for this

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Feb 29, 2008

I have bought many books at garage sales as well as baskets, treasure chest items, arts and crafts items but I never have bought on ebay. Why pay the extra money for shipping. Plus, I really like to see the condition of the item if children will be using it.

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Feb 29, 2008

I always think about starting one of those! I'd be the first person at an opening of one!

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 29, 2008

I would definitely shop at a second hand store that specialized in teacher stuff. Most definitely, yes!

6. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Feb 29, 2008

I would shop at a store that sold teacher stuff. It would probably have to be in a fairly big city to get enough business.

7. SissyGirl6

SissyGirl6 Rookie

Mar 1, 2008

Definitely and wish there were a store like that in my area. We have one teacher store in our area. If they don't have what I'm looking for, I either have to drive an hour to another store or start searching online.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 1, 2008

There is a store in Southern Maine that is called Ruth's Recyclables. I'm not sure how it works but schools pay a fee for their teachers to go there and get what they need. They can only get so many things each time they go. I have never been.

http://www.ruths.org/

9. little317

little317 Groupie

Mar 1, 2008

Our town is large, and very populated.....we have 80,000 plus residents, and our district is one of the larger districts in the nation....yet I have to travel about an hour to go to a good teacher store in Orlando. Just because it's a small town, it doesn't mean teacher's aren't in need of good quality teaching materials and supplies.

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2008

I certinly would buy. One man's trash is another man's treausure.... as teachers we can always put something to good use.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 1, 2008

Yes, I would buy from there. Also, would you take things for store credit/trade like a used bookstore? Just a thought. It would be ideal for teachers who change grade levels several times in their careers. Oh, and don't forget ebay as a way to sell the stuff too!

12. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Mar 1, 2008

It sounds like a great idea! We only have one teacher store and it's family owned. Not that that's bad, but they never put anything on sale and it's all the same stuff since 1995..

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 1, 2008

I would love to have a store like that nearby. I always check the toy section of thrift stores to find things I can use or improvise with for the classroom. One section of a local thrift store was dedicated to teaching supplies, but they closed it out. It wasn't advertised, though, and nobody knew about it.

14. little317

little317 Groupie

Mar 1, 2008

I go to Goodwill a lot and I find all kinds of treasures, especially for my library. Like I found a nearly brand new copy of No David!

15. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2008

I would shop there. I bet you would get a lot of donations from parents, teachers switching grade levels, and retired teachers.

16. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Mar 1, 2008

I have gotten things for the classroom at Thrift stores and garage sales several times. I would definitely go to a thrift store that specialized in educational materials. I'm not much of an Ebay shopper - I'm always a little suspicious of how good it will really end up being.

17. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Mar 2, 2008

I used to live in a city with one. I knew several teachers who went there frequently. I checked it out a few times and never seemed to have what I wanted when I wanted it.

I think it's a great idea, though.

18. Dawnathome

Dawnathome Rookie

Mar 3, 2008

Amy, that's something that sounds like a great idea. Market yourself to your local homeschoolers as well. That's another market that would appreciate that resource.