Would you buy another car of the same make if ...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Sarge, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2012

Ok, so before I tell you what the make of the car is, let me tell you how it has worked out and you can tell me if this is typical or not.

No problems first four years.

Four years, around 30,000 miles, I discovered the rear stabilizer bar broken. Dealer fixed it for free.

At about 6 years, 45,000 miles the check engine light came on. It was duo to a design flaw with the car's computer brain misreading a sensor. After considerable persuasion, the dealer also fixed it for free.

Quite recently, (the car is 12 years old with 70,000 miles) I've had to replace the power window motors in two doors and the power door lock actuators are going out. I replaced the driver side front one, but the other three don't work.

That's basically it. If this were your car, would you buy another car from the same automaker?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 15, 2012

No. There's so many types of cars out there & life is short. I'd want to try something new. It's just like dog breeds. I have a Boston Terrier & he's a great dog & they have about a 12-14 yr lifespan. Even then, I told myself that I'd try a different breed the next time around! :D

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

So it doesn't really seem like a lemon to me...but I'd make a new purchase decision on many factors...price, gas mileage, consumer reviews... I tend to drive my cars for a long time but dont get too emotionally attached to them like one might get with a pet.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 15, 2012

Meh.
    I know autos with better track records than what you describe. But, if you enjoyed the car, nothing wrong with getting another.

My husband and I both drive a Ford F150s. They ride SO well (better than any car or truck) that it would be hard to not get another one.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2012

There are a few models by the same maker that I really like. I'm just wondering if this is a typical amount of problems for 12 years and 70,000 miles.

7. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 15, 2012

My car is a 2008, has 77,000 miles, and I've only had two issues. One was the battery, the other was the console between the front two seats was wobbly. That's it. I'd get a different brand if I were you.

8. e6789

e6789 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012

No. I would definitely go with a different make. While those problems may be common for a 12 year old vehicle, it is usually a 12 year old vehicle with more miles. I currently have a 16 year old car with about 150,000. The only thing that's gone wrong is the broken sunroof control panel. Other than that, I'm a happy camper.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 15, 2012

We have a 12 yr. old car with 118,000 miles on it. It's the kids car. We've replaced power windows on it, I think only once, the 2nd one was on a replaced door from an accident. I think we've put a new battery in it, plus brakes, over the years.

If the auto company was still making that model I'd buy another one. But, they're not making that line of cars any more.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2012

Some people do not realize that low-mileage cars have their own issues- normally very different from high mileage cars.

Three problems in 12 years? Sounds good to me!

Also, as someone who has worked for a car dealership (and grew up around cars), identical cars can have very different problems. Parts fail. It is part of life!

Plus, I am sure the manufacturer has made changes in the last 12 years, so it is really comparing apples to oranges.

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2012

For me it is more about lifestyle.

When I started teaching I moved to Florida for my first job with a 2 seater convertible.

I then evolved to a 2 door coupe.

After watching an older colleague get in and out of the back seat when I drove us to a workshop I evolved again to a 4 door sedan.

When we had our first baby I felt we needed something "higher off the ground" and safer and entered the world of SUVs.

A couple years ago we unexpectedly had twins and now I'm rocking the minivan.

So for me cars have always been about phases of life.

I say get something different unless you are in love with whatever it is.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2012

Doesn't sound too bad.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 15, 2012

I would, but I would probably get a hybrid version. We love our hybrid we have now, so when I replace out second car (non-hybrid) I'm looking to get the same model, but a hybrid. I do plan to do some research before I buy.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

So, in 12 years with 70,000 miles, all you've had to pay to replace dealt with the power windows?

The car has never left you stranded, never broken down, say, on the Grand Central Parkway at rush hour?? (On my way home from college, getting dark, had to walk a good mile to a phone...)

The dealer has a decent warranty, and doesn't give you a hard time about claims on that warranty??

I would say it was a good, solid, car and I would buy from the same manufacturer again.

15. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2012

Sooooo.....

The car we are talking about is a 2000 Honda Accord.

Two models I like are the Fit and the CRV. Non-Honda alternatives would be a VW Golf or a Jetta wagon.

I want a vehicle with some carrying capacity. Ideally, I'd like to be able to throw my bike in the back without taking any wheels off.

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2012

BF is still driving a 84 Honda CRX and he gets 45 mpg. He has a second one that is his race car.

Point being, the facade may fall apart around you but Hondas seem to run forever.

He also had a newer VW GTI and that car was crap. He always had problems with it, superficial and engine-wise.

Of course, that's just one experience with the two makes.

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

I've had three Hondas, Sarge. They've all been good little cars.

The first - an '82 Accord - ran for 17 years before the head gasket finally blew. I'm pretty sure, however, my dad rebuilt the engine when it was about 12.

The second - a '96 Accord - ran 10 years before being totaled in an accident. I did have to replace the radiator on it and the front two power window motors.

The third - an '06 Civic - total champ. Only thing replaced so far is the auxiliary MP3 jack.

So with my experiences, I'd buy another Honda in a heartbeat. A few repairs here and there make up for it running for years.

Now my little Neon, however... that thing was a hot mess. Spent more on repairs than I did on the car. It did turn me into a bit of a roadside wonder, though.

18. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jul 16, 2012

I have a 2005 Honda Civic. I've driven it across the country and back twice. It has 130 000 km on it. I've only ever had to put normal wear and tear money into it (new brake pads, and a new timing belt after I hit 100 000 km). The wheel bearings went on it, but it was still under warranty, so they did it for free.

I would definitely buy a Honda again.

19. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 16, 2012

I had a Honda CRV and didn't really care for it. My opinion changed some when my husband was hit head-on at 50mph by a drunk driver and walked away with no injuries. Luckily the drunk driver only got to stumble to a police car.

Everyone I know has had good experiences with Hondas.

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2012

I have friends with both a Fit and a Civic. They much prefer the Civic- and it gets better gas mileage.

21. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

I had an '85 CRX when I was in the Air Force. It was my first new car.

I come from a long line of "Volkswagen people." I think that once VW's stopped being hammered together by elves in the Black Forest of Germany, their quality went downhill.

22. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

I really do not want a sedan or coupe. I'm looking for either a wagon, hatchback, or SUV.

2 doors is fine, if not preferred. I can count on one hand the number of times somebody has ridden in the backseat of my Accord.

I don't really care too much about gas mileage. My fuel savings come from not driving very much. I want something fast, though, with a good 0-60 and quarter mile time.

23. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 16, 2012

Just for future reference, window motors sometimes just stick and need to be jarred loose. If you press down hard on the button (hold it down the whole time) and slam the door open and closed as hard as you can 3 times the motor starts again. This trick works at least in 1990's cars made by GM (Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Etc.).

My family still has 1995 Chevy Lumina Van, 1996 Buick Regal, 2000 Pontiac Grand Am. All still run very well. Like anything maintenance and use will matter most. If you drive the car on bumpy roads, suspension, tires, ect. will go faster. Abuse the breaks when they are new, they will need to be replaced faster. Don't get regular oil changes you will have engine issues.

24. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 16, 2012

25. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

The Outback is kind of pricey. I was sort of interested in the Forrester.

I discovered I have a funny way of looking at a new car. First I look to see how easily I can fit my bike inside.

Then I look to see if it has a jack where I can plug my mp3 player in.

Then I ask the sales person what's the overall length. The shorter the better.

After that, I might be interested in how it drives.

26. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jul 16, 2012

I had a VW Golf for many years, but in my experience as well as others I've talked to, there are too many electrical problems for me to get another one. My DH and I now have a new Kia Optima and a used Madza 3 hatchback...which would definitely fit a bike!

27. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

I just discovered the Honda Fit has a neat feature. The bottoms of the rear seats fold up, creating two separated cargo areas. I could conceivably carry two bikes in it!

28. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 16, 2012

The back seats in my Ford F150 fold up (instead of down). It creates WAY more space than if they folded down.

29. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

But will the F-150 fit in my garage without having to move any of my bikes? I doubt it.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

31. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 16, 2012

I know you said you want to make sure you have room for your bike . . . I *think* a bike would fit in ours, but I'm not 100% certain. Between the trunk space and the seats folding down, there is a large space. Anyway - we have the VW Jetta TDI and absolutely LOVE it. Great get-up-and-go, great gas mileage, smooth ride and plenty of room! I'd buy another one in a heart beat!

32. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jul 16, 2012

I agree with Alice that three problems in 12 years is not bad at all, especially since the first two were covered by the dealership.

Honda and Toyota both have very good histories of making dependable cars.

As I've said before, I currently drive a 1996 Ford Taurus. I have had to put some major repair money into over the years, but it still runs very well. It has now developed a transmission leak and my mechanic said the repair would be more than the car was worth. That's one reason I'm looking for a newer vehicle. I would definitely buy another Taurus if I could find one.

I've looked at several used cars and, right now, the one at the top of the list is a Dodge Stratus with less than 20K miles on it. It's a 2006 and I'm actually a little suspicious (and leery) of the low mileage, but AutoCheck and Carfax both came back clean and the mechanic checked it out as well. The Kelly Blue Book Review called it a "mediocre midsize" and I know it isn't the top of the Dodge line, but it IS in my price range.

I've never purchased a brand new car and don't foresee ever doing so. My "dream car" would be one of the new Dodge Chargers. With 4 doors, it actually could be considered a "family car". I definitely need a car that (a) can carry up to 5 people comfortably, and, (b) will last several years. I've looked at some Chargers and could conceivably afford the payments, but I'm not sure I could get financing.

If I could find a good Honda Civic or Toyota Camry, I would also consider them.