Would you bother calling??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by **Mrs.A**, Jan 31, 2009.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jan 31, 2009

I wrote up a student this week for not having her homework..I marked that she was not prepared for school. She brought back the form signed with a little note from her parents.

The note said that "N" had her homework but forgot to put it in her box..It also said that "N" asked me if she could turn it in later in the day and I said no. This student did not ask me if she could turn in her homework

I do not remind my kids anymore to turn in their homework.. We have been doing the same morning routine everyday.. The kids come in, unpack their backpacks, turn in homework, and get a book out to read. We are in the third quarter of school and they should not have to be reminded to put their homework in their boxes. I'm not able to check for homework until the end of the day...They have all day to remember to turn it in. If they leave for the day and the homework is not where it's supposed to be, they get written up.

Should I call the parents? I'm kind of irritated because this kid knows the rules and she went home and cried to mom and dad.

3. Arky

Arky Comrade

Jan 31, 2009

It depends on how important this issue is to you. I have called parents before for a similar situation. Did it help? I think when a parent is going to write you an "excuse" as to why their child did the infraction it is probably not going to help to call. Also, silence sometimes gets through to the parent better than a phone call.

4. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jan 31, 2009

I think it would be a good idea, especially since it sounds like the parents don't know the whole story.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2009

Call to clarify your homework policy and to tell the parents what 'really happened'.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2009

I agree with czacza. I would also ask the student if the homework was left in her backpack.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 31, 2009

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Parent,
    I did receive "student's" homework a day late and the signed form. I do allow children to turn their homework in anytime during the day, and confirmed with "student" that she understands this. Our normal procedure; however, is for all the children to turn it in first thing in the morning. Thank you so much for speaking with "student" about the importance of the homework and following the classroom procedures.

I appreciate your continued support. Have a great evening.

Mrs. A

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 1, 2009

Since the parent did not get the entire story, I would call to clarify my homework policies. Does this student often forget to turn in homework? If it is a repeat offender, then I would call to request a conference with the child so that we can all be on the same page. Children tend to fabricate stories less often when in the presence of both the parent and the teacher.

9. frogger

frogger Devotee

Feb 1, 2009

yeah I agree with that. then you can hear and figure out where the parent is coming from and that you aren't going to accept excuses for something that has been in place and practiced since the beginning of school.

10. queenie

queenie Groupie

Feb 1, 2009

THis sounds wonderful to me. They wrote a note so they obviously are more comfortable with that form of communication. This is friendly but to the point. And lightly peppered with just enough sarcasm to make you feel better but not to hang yourself. :lol:

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 1, 2009

I would take the letter, xerox it, and then underline the part in red. I would write on this note, "THIS IS NOT TRUE. N DID NOT ASK ME THIS. Please schedule an appointment to come in with N so we can all three discuss this issue together and come to a resolution. "

I'd make a copy of this note before I send it home, and I get N to write across the bottom of YOUR copy "Mrs A gave me this note on xx/xx/09 and I understand I must give it to my mother tonight, and return it tomorrow signed." Then have her sign and date it.

If it didn't come back the next day, I'd copy the copy with her signature on it -- highlight the part in her own writing, and mail it to her mother. (Actually, in my school, if a student fails to give a note to a parent, we actually have a staff member whose job it is to drive to the house and hand deliver it...so I wouldn't have to use US mail...but you may not have that available to you.)

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 1, 2009

Actually, I would have N call her parents and clarify what really happened. While not doing homework one night may not be a big deal, the dishonesty is. I wouldn't be agressive or angry on the phone. I'd just explain that I wanted to make sure we were all on the same page about the homework policy and why N hadn't turned her's in.

13. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2009

To cover yourself, I would call, or at least try to call. Document the call or the attempts you make. Start out by saying you appreciate their note and their concern for their child's homework. Then go from there. Teacher are good at "shoveling it" when we have to!

14. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Feb 2, 2009

I would call or email the parent just to clarify what your homework policy is and the events that occurred that day. Sometimes parents don't get the full story, which is probably why you got the note that you did.