Would you become a teacher again if you had the choice?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by aeh1, Mar 27, 2015.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 22, 2020

It is - but someone who got into the field solely for bonus vacation time or with a “teachers have it easy with all that time off” mentality is bound for a harsh awakening!

Backroads, whizkid and Tired Teacher like this.
  2. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 22, 2020

Yes, I would be a teacher. The best part about being a teacher is when you make a difference in children's lives. Another great part is each year being able to find ways to make teaching better for yourself and others. The worst part is when you are pressured or forced to do things that are not in the best interest of children. Another negative part is how hectic parts of the school year can be. Sometimes the option is spending a lot of hours at home grading or preparing OR risking getting in trouble with admin.

You have to have at least 3 things in order make teaching worth it IMO.
    #1. Teaching is usually not a good place if you like lots of expensive items like fancy cars, expensive house etc. You can make ends meet, pay bills, and have a little left over for fun...but a tough place for people who are really materialistic.
    #2. You have to really have a burning desire to help children. Teaching has its bad days for everyone, but for some teachers the really good moments more than make up for it.
    #3. You have to want to be a teacher who sees it as an opportunity to do things in your own unique way and not as a job. For example, the beginning of the year some teachers love to decorate their classrooms and make it special for students. Other teachers find it as a chore. Also, some teachers love to make their lessons come to life and surprise their students. Others see teaching lessons as a chore where they take out the teaching materials and don't do anything unique. Trust me, when the students aren't having fun, the teacher isn't having fun.

Hope this helps.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 25, 2020

Why do people revive posts from 5 years ago? The original poster never comes back after that much time LOL

Backroads likes this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2020

I kind of like the idea of revising older posts like this. Five years is a long time in the field of education, a whole new crop of teachers enter the field, economies and jobs change. It's interesting to see if attitudes have changed, or points of view are different than they were five years ago.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 25, 2020

Lack of awareness of more recent internet manners?

I remember a time where it was rude to start a new post if a topic EVER already existed.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 25, 2020

I totally agree with not starting a new post if there is one BUT people are replying to the original poster who most likely will never SEE IT. I just always check the date when replying to someone.

Backroads likes this.
  7. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Mar 25, 2020

I'm fairly sure this forum has in bright red lettering notifying the poster that a thread is old and you have to check the box to acknowledge that before it will allow you to reply. :grimacing:

Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 26, 2020

I always feel so honored when you post Amanda! Here’s hoping that you and everyone you know are heathy and in good spirits.

otterpop likes this.
  9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 26, 2020

Just for fun I found a post fro
    Just for fun I found a post from 2018 and I saw the BRIGHT RED BOX. I guess it wasn't bright enough for some!

10. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2020

Reviving an old post? It is more relevant today than when it began. I came back to read it because of the new answers not because the author may come back. I have been posting in ABC from way back. Not much anymore but it is a good forum.

11. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Rookie

Mar 26, 2020

The poster that brought the thread back to life was new to the site that day, and started another thread discussing burn-out. Clearly the thread is relevant to her and others. And I think it's interesting to see the change in the content of older vs newer posts. Are there factors relevant now that weren't originally? Anybody change their minds between then and now?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 27, 2020

There's no reason you can't revive an old thread. Just don't automatically think the original poster will see your response since they could be long gone.

Backroads likes this.
  13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 27, 2020

I don’t think teaching and living a lavish or comfortable lifestyle are mutually exclusive. I know teachers who don’t tutor like me who make $100k+ from just their teaching job (they live outside the Bay Area and commute in to work or they work in a richer municipality that pays teachers more). They have paid off student loans, paid off or nearly paid off home loans, nice cars, etc, and their ages range from 30-50+ years. It is possible.

In general, teaching doesn’t pay well for teachers in red states, but it is worthwhile, I would say, for teachers in blue states.

I do it primarily for the time off. I love that I get so much time off and can just relax and tutor in my own time.

14. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Mar 27, 2020

I switched careers later in life and began working in eduction in my 40's. I would do it again the same as before. I think I would have a different attitude about the profession if I had become a teacher right out of college in my 20's. Possibly burned out by now.

Tired Teacher and stephenpe like this.
  15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 27, 2020

:yeahthat:
    I was waaaaay too immature when I was in college and thankfully knew it well enough to leave the program. A decade later, I finished what I started and I would not change a thing. I've made that choice once and then changed my mind, "and it has made all the difference."

Backroads likes this.